9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 1:22 PM by [Jongware]

Slashed zero

dupieux

Is there by any chance a bulletproof way to get slashed zeros with the typeface of your choice?

thanks for quick reply.

• 1. Re: Slashed zero
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Yers. Since it's not guaranteed that every "typeface of your choice" contains a slashed zero, the bullet proof way is to type a zero, then a slash, and then kern one over the other. Now that will work with every typeface.

As long as it has a zero and a slash, of course.

• 2. Re: Slashed zero
            macinbytes Level 4

95% of the fonts I have already have Ø. I'd say you're better off picking up a typeface that you like it in and use it, since it looks funny in many typefaces. The kerned version can look awkward too.

Screen shot 2011-06-27 at 9.25.00 AM.png

• 3. Re: Slashed zero

But a slashed capital or lowercase 'oh' is not a slashed zero. Slashed Zero is an Opentype alternate (although in many "programmers" fonts it's drawn slashed by default).

Palatino Linotype -- no Slashed Zero:

no-slash-zero.png

Minion Pro -- Slashed Zero:

slashed-zero.png

• 4. Re: Slashed zero
                macinbytes Level 4

Well I'm guilty of missing the point once more.

• 5. Re: Slashed zero
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Note that the previous poster has an undisclosed (here) financial interest in the company at that link...

His continued failure to disclose has branded him a spammer.

Message was edited by: Peter Spier

• 6. Re: Slashed zero
                    Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

One time for $10 seems reasonable for slashedzero fonts as you do get a font for use in the future.

But if this is something that you might use for n times fonts, that $10 x n is going to add up.

An alternate, if you have a little vector manipulation knowlege is IndyFont by Marc Autret and Teus de Jong (Jongware). http://www.indiscripts.com/category/projects/IndyFont

I have found this scripts incredily helpful for creating custom letters and numbers for my VQS book.

The "Try" version of the product may be all you need as it allows you to export a single character, which in your case would be a slash zero. And the Try version if free.

However, I suspect you will suddenly find many more uses for the product. In which case the Pro version, at 59 Euros may be a better choice.

Note: I have no financial interest in IndyFont, Marc Autret, or Teus de Jong.

• 7. Re: Slashed zero
                      Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry, Sandy but <Jongware> is Theunis de Jong. The Teus you referenced passed away a couple of years ago.

• 8. Re: Slashed zero
                        Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I constantly make that mistake.

• 9. Re: Slashed zero

Oh I don't mind. Teus' full name was in fact *also* "Theunis" -- "Teus" is shorthand. And at a time we worked for the same publisher too -- I was suprised to find my name on documents I was pretty sure I didn't make :-)

You know what, this particular thread may very well have been how I ever came up with the idea ;-)