2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 6:22 AM by CNF37108

The use of any "Draw" tool causes Flash CS5 to crash

CNF37108

Hello everyone. I recently installed the CS5 Master Collection on my MacPro for work. I need to use Flash CS5 in order to work on some projects in the office, however I'm encountering several issues that make it near impossible for me to use the software. First of all, when I start the program and select "New..." and select any type of new file, I'm greeted by nearly every button being greyed out, to where I cannot select them. I've found out that I can make these buttons usable by changing my workspace in Flash. This is a minor annoyance, but I don't mind that issue so much.

The issue that's causing me trouble is that whenever I select any sort of "Drawing" tool, Flash CS5 crashes immediately. Whenever I click on the line, pen, circle, rectangle, pencil, or brush tools, CS5 freezes briefly (about 2-3 seconds) and then immediately closes. I can still use tools such as the Pan tool, zoom, text, and selection tool.

Also, whenever I select the Spray Can tool, I get the following error: Unable to load the script. The file <filepath>/ProScripts/sprayBrush.jsx does not exist.

I have already tried updating my system, updating every Adobe product on this machine, reinstalling, and even using a seperate installation CD, but everything thus far has yielded the same results. Any help on this topic at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Info on my system:

MacPro running OS X V. 10.6

2 x 2.26 GHx quad-core preocessors

12 GB DDR3

• 1. Re: The use of any "Draw" tool causes Flash CS5 to crash
          CNF37108 Level 1

After taking a look at the crash report, it suggested there was an issue with the memory. I tried several different configurations, only to find that none of the DIMMs were defective. I created a new account on the machine, and launched Flash CS5 without any issues. This suggests that there is something wrong with my initial account that is preventing the software from working.

Does anyone have a clue as to why it will not work on the administrator account?

• 2. Re: The use of any "Draw" tool causes Flash CS5 to crash
            CNF37108 Level 1

Ok, I figured out the issue. I figured I'd post the solution here just in case anyone else comes across this problem:

After creating a vanilla account on the machine, Flash CS5 worked just fine, so I know the system configuration was just fine. I also noticed that when I launched CS5, there was no pop-up window that appeared asking which type of file to open. The solution that I encountered was to delete all of the preference folders on the HD for Flash CS5 by removing the following files/folders:

• /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Flash CS5 Preferences
            • /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Flash 11 MRU
            • /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.flsh-11.0.plist
            • /User/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash CS5/
            • /Library/Application Support/Macromedia/FlashAuthor.cfg

Then, I used the disk utility and did a permissions repair on the HD. These two actions together seemed to fix the problem. Hope this helps anyone else who has a similar issue.