2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2011 6:33 AM by Geoffreybn15

Reader X is not working

Geoffreybn15

I have tried to upgrade from Reader 9 to X, and it is not working.  I am running Windows XP on a Pentium 4 PC.

When I first tried to open a PDF file yesterday, I got an error message which I think was Error 55, but might have been Error 52.  Today, when I now try to open a PDF file, I get a box showing suggested programs to 'Open With'.  Reader is not on the list, in any version.

I have tried to 'brows' to find the program, but I have no idea where to start looking for it.  At some point in my efforts to get the program working I got an Error 12010, but now I can't remember exactly what I was doing at the time.  I have no idea what that Error message means.

When I go to Control Panel\Add or Remove Programs, it is shown as installed.

I would like to uninstall the program and start again which I think would solve the problem but I can't.  When I try to 'Change' or 'Remove' the program, I get a message that the Installation Package cannot be found which I think means that the file AdbeRdr1010_en_us.msi can't be found.

I don't know what to do next.  Can anybody please help me?

• 1. Re: Reader X is not working
          370H55V Level 4

The file path is C:\Program FIles\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

If it's not in the list, the installation may have gone wrong at some point.

Instructions for manually removing Reader (v7 and up) are here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/400/kb400728.html

Follow those and then reinstall it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reader X is not working
            Geoffreybn15 Level 1

Dear Expatriated Mac User,

Thank you for your reply to my post in the Forum.

Let me start by saying that as a newcomer to Forums, I can't see how to add

to my original post so I a contacting you directly.  I hope you don't mind.

I folowed the link you gave in your message and this takes me to my original

Post, but as I say, I can't see how to add to it.

I couldn't find the file you quoted so I followed the instructions you gave

to remove the program.

This seems to have worked, except for one directory in C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Reader 9(2).0\Resource(2)\CMap(2)

This has the files

Identity-H

and

Identity-V

in it.

I can't see how to delete these files.  When I try to, I get a message

saying that  Access is denied.  I don't know if this will stop any new

download and installing of a new version of Reader X working.

I have dowloaded a new version of Reader X anyway, and the Adobe Download

Manager tells me that the program is installed.

Now, I try to open the two old .pdf files I referred to in my original Post,

I still get a window 'OpenWith' asking me which program I want to use to

open the file.  Reader is still not on the list.

When I brows to the \Adobe directory, there is no sign of a Reader 10 sub

directory, just the Reader 9(2).0 directory with the two files I have

mentioned above in it.  As before, I don't understand what is wrong.

Will you help me again please?

In the mean time I will try to find out how to add to my original post in

the Forum.

Best regards,

Geoffrey Newman