I am having an issue loading XMP Metadata into a text variable. I have tried the following procedure on two computers and no result (Windows 7, InDesign 5.0 and 5.5)
Here is the basic procedure:
1. Create a new InDesign Document.
2. Navigate to FILE > FILE INFO
3. When the XMP data appears, place the word "Test", “Test1”, “Test 2”, and “Test 3” in the Document Title, Author, Author Title, and Description fields and push OK. See Screenshot.
4. Make a text box.
5. Place the text insert cursor in the text box then go to the menu and open TYPE> TEXT VARIABLES > DEFINE.
6. Once the dialog box opens, select NEW...
7. Name the New Text Variable "Author" and select "METADATA CAPTION" for TYPE: and "AUTHOR" for METADATA: then push OK.
8. Press the INSERT button to place the new "Author" text variable into the text box.
Every time I get a <no intersecting link> indication. Can someone help me figure out what I’m doing wrong here?
I believe that that text variable is used when generating captions for images using the Caption feature.
Without my regurgitating the entire description, go to InDesign Help > Combining Text and Objects > Captions, and read through how that feature is used in InDesign CS5 and 5.5.
Thanks Steve, you are right on. Was hoping that the Metadata information could be absorbed into the file somehow like you can do in MS Word with the document properties for Title, Date, Revision ect. I now will change my plans and I will put the document information on the Title Page and cross-link it to my headers and footers.
Thanks for the help.