• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CS5 won't import mov file?

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2011 Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac Mini OSX 10.6.8 2.4GHz Duo Core Intel 8GB RAM: Quicktime 10.0(128)

I have serveral MOV files that a Camera Crew shot raw footage then recaptured to MOV for me but now I found out that I can't import these files into Premiere CS5, I get a codec miss or unavailable error. I can't even play this MOV file in QT, it says I need  a codec. I don't have Final Cut Pro or iLife. What is the codec I need and where can I get the codec to Import my MOV files into Premiere Pro? Or is there a way for me to recapture these files?

Here's a screenshot of the MOV file info. Thanks for any help, I'm new to Premiere

Screen shot 2011-06-27 at 4.13.50 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get the original footage, not what they captured.  Then capture it yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the original footage on tapes but I don't know how to capture to the mac mini since I don't have a camera. Also, my coworker whom has an 2010 iMac is able to view the same MOV files in Quicktime X 10.0 and is able to import into Premiere CS5. I'm just not sure why it doesn't play or import on my mac? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need a camera for the capture process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for everyone for your help. found out that i could capture mov files if i had final cut pro. my coworker has fcp on his imac and we were able to import mov files into premierepro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have been given video encoded with the Apple ProRes codec.  Apple provides free decoders you can install that may be able to help you out.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_Windows

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_Mac

If these don't work, you video may be encoded with an Avid codec.  Avid has their full range of codecs available for free.  What's nice is that you can both read and record with them.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=392959&ssdFilterCommunity15=1408&ssdFilterCommunity13=0&ssdFilterCommunity11=0&ssdFilterCommunity10=368&ssdFilter_SearchKeyWord=codecs&page=1&ssdSearchOperator=0&ssdFilterCommunity3=0&Hilite=codecs

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2011 Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the file extension from .MOV to .MPG and it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

how can I do that change from MOV to MPG ?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines