3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 4:52 PM by Pharther Phurther

New Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Open GL Update

Pharther Phurther Level 1

Since there is not a particular place for this post .. I will start here:

Has anyone upgraded to 10.7.8 and seen any preview / unrendered sequences perform better with the updated Open GL? .. which claims to be much faster.

XBench tests claim a 48% increase in OPenGL graphic speeds .. but is it noticeable in the Abode Master Suite .. Premiere Pro .. etc ...

• 1. Re: New Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Open GL Update
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Make sure you update your Quadro 4000 Drivers for Mac if you run that update.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: New Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Open GL Update
            Harm Millaard Level 7

What is the relevancy of your remark? PP uses DirectX, not OpenGL. If the claim is true, it should show up in AE, which uses OpenGL.

• 3. Re: New Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Open GL Update
              Pharther Phurther Level 1

Oh .. AE has OpenGL Previews ... Yes?

Then the "Linked Composition" from AE in PP does not use OpenGL when previewing it before it is rendered?

Logic:

Sending a clip from PP via dynamic link to AE for effect is the norm .. or the only way to get stabilization in your clips.

There is no benefit to rendering anything in AE. Preview .. Yes .. but rendering is a waist of time ... since it would have to be rerendered in PP.

All previews in AE are OpenGL .. Yes?

Then when playing a "Linked Composition" in PP .. does it use OpenGL for the Preview?

The relevance of this post would be:

Has the "Preview" of "Linked Compositions" in PP improved since the Mac OS X 10.6.8 update ? .... ( which claims to have been improved .. as well as caused numerous problems noted in the Forums )

Currently .. my previews using OS X 10.6.7 ... a 12 Core Mac ... a RAID 0 .. 32 GB of RAM ... a supported Nvidia 285 GTX graphics card .. and every different setting recommended and / or tried  STILL plays choppy / stuttering video.

I hope to find answers .. solutions .. or comments ... maybe the top of the line Mac and the best editing software just doesn't work like I believe it should.

Also .. I'm curious if I should spend another $900 on the Quaddro 4000 graphic card to solve this ... on top of the $$$$ I spent already ...