13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 9:21 PM by mgenn

My video went green?

mgenn

Hello,

First I want to say thank you to the pro's on this site.....I have had soooo many problems getting started and have been able to find most of my answers in your previous posts. So, my first problem that I did not yet see an answer to is this....

I placed a video into my timeline and used the video stabilizer on it as it was quiet shacky footage. I then cut it up in a few spots, did a freeze frame, a color pass, etc.....it took me forever to get it perfect and I finally did. So I burned it to disk just as a preview to see what it would look like on my tv and didn't like what the stabilizer did to it (which could have been the way I did it as I just threw it on without looking into how to use it). It got all wobbly and made me feel nautious if that makes any sense.

Anyways, I decided I would just take the stabilzer off and deal with my shaky video but once I removed the effect my whole video turned to a solid green screen? If I double click on the video in the timeline I can still see it fine individually but once I attempt to watch it as part of my movie it is green. Although I really don't want to make all of those changes to my video that I had made again.....I tried to replace the video and the new video I inserted went green too?

Any advice on how to get my video back or how to use the video stabilizer without feeling like you are going to be sea sick while watching it? I will go with which ever one is easier at this point.

Thank you,

Melissa

• 1. Re: My video went green?
          mgenn Level 1

Well, I put the stabilizer back on and my green video went away. I went into edit effects and changed the smoothness to zero and now I am back to my shaky video.....but it is better then a green screen.

I would still appreciate any advise you may have on this subject though if possible as I know I will have lots more shaky footage to put into my movies and ideas on how to minimize it would be appreciated.....other then using a tripod to shoot and stuff like that......I am usually chasing my baby around with the camcorder so I tripod will not work, lol.

• 2. Re: My video went green?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? If you selected the correct project settings, there will be no red lines above the clips on your timeline until you add effects to them. Is that the case in your situation?

What operating system are you using? Have you manually gone to Windows Update and downloaded even the non-critical updates?

Have you gone to the nVidia or ATI sites and downloaded the latest drivers for your graphics cards?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: My video went green?
              mgenn Level 1

Hi Steve,

My camcorder is a canon vixia HF R100 and the videos are AVCHD. I got the video onto my computer using the memory card.

I couldn't tell you what project settings I selected....probably whatever it had defaulted to. I checked my project based on what you said and it looks like I may have set it up incorrectly then. When I add a picture or video the line is red until I render it....even before effects. Does that make a big difference and is that something I can change now?

My computer and it is running on windows 7. All updates have been installed.

Yes, after reading a post from Hunt (because I was crashing constantly at that point) I did go to Apple and download the newest version of Quicktime. The program is running 98% better since that was done:)

As for drivers....this I did not do. I used to think I was great with computers but I have now realized that I should rephrase that to "I am great with microsoft office" and can (sometimes) get by with everything else, lol. I went to device manager and found my driver and looked for the update and it said it was already updated. PE has a window that pops up every now and then that tells me that my driver needs to be updated because it is using a generic driver and I know I am supposed to go the the manufacturers website to update.....but I don't know who the manufacturer even is? I am also afraid I am going to update it and mess up my brand new computer so help would be appreciated with that too.

As for my green video, when I originally put it in the timeline it was fine. I added the effect and it was fine. It is only when I remove the effect that it goes green but once I put the effect back on (even with zero for smoothness) it goes back to normal so that is how I am leaving it for now. Any tips on how to use the stabilizer for videos?

• 4. Re: My video went green?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say which video card your computer has, but it is most likely either an nVidia or ATI chipset. I highly recommend you go to one of these sites and download the latest driver for your card. It DOES make a difference! (Especially if your operating system is Windows 7 64-bit.)

ATI:  http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

nVidia: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

As for your project, you need to ensure your project is set up correctly for AVCHD video.

Your camcorder shoots in a variety of formats. But, if you plan to edit in Premiere Elements, you should only shoot in FXP 60i mode.

Then start a new Premiere Elements project, selecting the AVCHD 1920x1080 Stereo. This is very important!

I have created a free 8-part Basic Training tutorial series for Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com. Part 1 shows you how to properly set up a project for various video formats.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

How well the program handles AVCHD video depends on the version of the program you're running. Version 9, which handles it best, will even edit AVCHD natively. If you plan to edit a lot of video from this camcorder, it's well worth the upgrade.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: My video went green?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I went to device manager and found my driver and looked for the update and it said it was already updated. PE has a window that pops up every now and then that tells me that my driver needs to be updated because it is using a generic driver and I know I am supposed to go the the manufacturers website to update.....but I don't know who the manufacturer even is? I am also afraid I am going to update it and mess up my brand new computer so help would be appreciated with that too.

Unfortunately, Device Manager (and most update utility programs) will not give you a clear, nor accurate appraisal of the status of updates for the video card. It will be sevearal months, at best, out of date. Nothing should be trusted, except the mfgr's. Web site for driver downloads. However, Device Manager can tell you who made the chip in your card, and that is useful info. One can also Run "dxdiag.exe" from the Run Menu in Start, and see the full particulars of the video card.

With that info, one would go to the mfgr's. Web site. The most likely mfgr's. would be nVidia, ATI or Intel (does not offer good driver support). With computers, such as Dell, HP and a few more, the computer company will be tweaking, say nVidia's driver, and releasing one of their own, on their site. In the case of a Dell, HP, and some others, their Web site would be the first stop.

Also, some laptop mfgrs. will write proprietary video drivers. Toshiba is usually a good example of that. On my older Satellite, though I had an nVidia chip, I could ONLY use the Toshiba version of the driver, and they were not good at updateing those. With a laptop, things can get a tad complicated.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: My video went green?
                    mgenn Level 1

I do have version 9 of PE and I have just setup my camcorder as you suggested thank you very much!

I will be honest and say that I am not very careful when it comes to settings which I am about to prove to you with my next comments and questions...

1. I am not sure how my camera got set to this....but for some reason my video has been shooting in 1440x1080 since I got it 11 months ago (11 months worth of precious baby footage). I just changed it back to 1920x1080 but how should I set up my video for that? Should my video still be set to 1920?

2. So my video that I have been working so very hard on was set up incorrectly. It is too bad I didn't watch your tutorial that stresses how important setup is....before I set it up. Now what? Is there anyway to change it or am I either stuck with what I have or have to start all over again? What do you recommend?

3. I should note that only about 20% of my project will be from video footage and the rest of it will come from still pictures. Any suggestions what my camera settings should be? It is a canon powershot sx130is. My 11 months of pictures up to this point seem to be 4000x3000 pixels.

4. Yes I am running on windows 7 64bit. It is a Toshiba Intel I5 laptop. How do I know if I need the nVidia or ATI driver? Can I mess up my computer in anyway installing these?

Thank you for all of your help and I did watch the first tutorial. Going to watch the rest now while I wait to see how I should proceed. Thanks again!

• 7. Re: My video went green?
                      mgenn Level 1

Thank you for the reply. I have a toshiba laptop and after running the dxdiag.exe it stated that I have an Intel HD graphics (core I5) chip type. Since you said that Intel and Toshiba are both not good at updating drivers does that mean I am out of luck? Any suggestions?

• 8. Re: My video went green?
                        nealeh Level 5

Just picking up on a couple of points:

You say you 'burned to disk' to test on your TV. Is that a Blu-Ray disk or a DVD? If the latter, and DVD's are likely to be your most used media, don't get too hung up on what resolution your recording at.

For your still pictures do you intend do any pan and zoom? If not then resize your pictures to the final output size BEFORE loading them into your video project. Because:

• PRE struggles with large stills. In many cases it has prevented a project from completion.
                        • PRE does a poor job of downsizing images. Mush better to use a dedicated photo package to do the resizing (PSE is obviously a very good choice).

If you do intned pan & zoom then resize stills to around 1,000 x 750 for Standard Definition, 2,000 x 1,500 for High Definition. For more information look at: What resolution should my photos be in Premiere Elements?

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: My video went green?
                          mgenn Level 1

Thank you Neale....I will take that advise and shrink down my pictures. It will be one more change that will make my project worth starting over I guess. I have PSE 9 and just looked in the forum for how to batch resize so I will do that for sure.

I am only burning to DVD at this point so you are right that I do not need to get too hung up on quality. I do want it to be the best reasonable quality I can get it but if it is only going to be on dvd I should use 1000x750 and if I ever want it on blue ray later then use 2000x1500? Is that correct? Will 2000x1500 make my dvd look any better?

Also, although picture quality may not be my main concern if I am only burning to DVD....I am also looking to minimize any black line on the sides of my pictures if possible. I would like everything in wide screen if possible and do not want to crop all of my pictures to fit. Any suggestions for setting on my camera, camcorder and PE project for that?

• 10. Re: My video went green?
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Will 2000x1500 make my dvd look any better?

No... a DVD is 720x480 (USA) and using pictures that are too large will simply cause problems for Premiere

• 11. Re: My video went green?
                              nealeh Level 5

From an archiving viewpoint always keep your original material - archive it to DVD or external Disk Drive. For your current project (and assuming no wish to Pan & Zoom) resize them to your output size for best results. For DVD this is 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL).

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: My video went green?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

4. Yes I am running on windows 7 64bit. It is a Toshiba Intel I5 laptop. How do I know if I need the nVidia or ATI driver? Can I mess up my computer in anyway installing these?

Yes you can, so make sure that you get things right.

In Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, look for the display device, which will be your display card/chip. It might even be printed on a decal on your laptop. Find out who the chip mfgr. is, and first go to the Toshiba Web site. I do not hold out much hope for them, but maybe they are now better, than they were, when I owned my Satellite. It had an nVidia chip, BUT the driver was proprietary, and Toshiba never updated that, though nVidia had about 12 updates per year. I hope that they are either better, or that you can use a regular nVidia, or ATI/AMD driver.

If Toshiba does not have a newer driver, then you will want to look on the mfgr's. Web site. Armed with the chip (Intel, nVidia or ATI, most likely), find the Download Drivers tab on the Web site. Plug in your chip/card's model, and your OS. Check the most recent driver version number and date, against the info that you got from Device Manager.

Do not let Windows, or any utility, tell you if you have the latest driver. Check for yourself.

Good luck,

PS - based on a post, similar to yours, and out of curiosity, I went to the Toshiba site, to see if they have released a new video driver for that old Satellite. After almost 10 years, the only one they offered was the one that my Satellie shipped with. That would mean that it's behind by about 120 updates! That is one reason that I would never buy Toshiba again -zero driver, or even technical support. Hope that the latter has improved over the last decade.

• 13. Re: My video went green?
                                  mgenn Level 1

So I did start a new video with all of my still pictures scaled down in size. Now that the pictures are standard definition I am not sure if I set my project up right as 1080p but that is what I did to reflect my AVCHD video. Is that right? The same video that was going green before....is now intermittanly going green again without a effect being added to it this time and the program is crashing.....which was not a problem that I was having with my last project that I started. I noticed that the video that turns green does not have a red or a green line above it after being placed in the timeline or after being rendered.....and again this is not a problem that I was having in my last project. So it looks like possibly changing my format to AVCHD 1080 made my situation worse?

I still have my old project. Should I just go back to that one and replace my large still pictures with my now scaled down one's or is it going to end up crashing on me in the end. It is in 720 but does that matter?

I really need some advice here as the project is not even a quarter of the way done and I need to get this done in the next few weeks. Thanks for any help offered. I am just getting afraid I am going to get this all done and it won't burn to disk or something crazy at the end because of these issues......especially once I add more to it.

Oh, and the driver update. I went to intel's website and it said to go to the manufacturer and I went to Toshiba and it listed my driver as the newest one from what I could see so I guess there is no update?

Please help!!! I only have one video in this first segment and I am getting very worried about how the rest of them will go.