6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 9:45 AM by Steve Werner

EPub Scanned Images without Text Flow

TabulaMentis

I am working on an ebook that has lots of complex illustrations, tables, captions. Scanning the images by converting them to JPEG is needed in order for the illlustrations and text to not move. Text flow is an option that I will not be able to offer.

How do I create an ePub book with scanned images without text flow. I did it once, but cannot remember how to do it.

• 1. Re: EPub Scanned Images without Text Flow
          John Hawkinson Level 5

This is tangential, but JPEG is not a good file format for scanned illustrations. It is mathematically incapable of faithfully representing hard edges. You are much better off with almost any other format.

(But I am not an EPUB expert.)

• 2. Re: EPub Scanned Images without Text Flow
            Derek Cross Level 6

You can only use the formats for graphics in ePub of JPG, PNG. and GIF. The latest version of InDesign, version 5.5, makes it much easier to create ePubs.

Derek

• 3. Re: EPub Scanned Images without Text Flow
              marcusstringer Level 3

TabulaMentis wrote:

I am working on an ebook that has lots of complex illustrations, tables, captions. Scanning the images by converting them to JPEG is needed in order for the illlustrations and text to not move. Text flow is an option that I will not be able to offer.

How do I create an ePub book with scanned images without text flow. I did it once, but cannot remember how to do it.

You could make it into PDF, then import the pdf into InDesign, then when you export to ePub it will change them all to Jpegs

• 4. Re: EPub Scanned Images without Text Flow
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only way I see that working in EPUB (which is a format built on reflowable text) would be if you were creating Fixed Layout EPUBs. However, those only work in iBooks application (iPads, iPhones) as far as I know. To read about it, see Elizabeth  Castro's eBook on Fixed Layout EPUB:

Formatting ebooks - EPUB Straight to the Point

Otherwise, you should simply consider offering PDF as an eBook. It offers exactly what you want. PDF readers are available on all platforms.

• 5. Re: EPub Scanned Images without Text Flow
                  TabulaMentis Level 1

I am using InDesign CS5.5. I already have a PDF version of the ebook for sale. I was able to create an ePub version but forgot how to do it again. The ePub version is for sale at Amazon.com titled: The Little Big Bang Theory. Amazon. Please see the following link: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Big-Bang-Theory-ebook/dp/B0055PQRFC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF 8&qid=1309277177&sr=1-1. Google and all the others will not sell only PDFs. They all require that I send them an ePub version of the the ebook. Only Google will allow PDFs to be uploaded directly into their servers.

Someone suggested that I import a PDF version of the ebook into InDesign, but that did not work.

The ePub version of the ebook will have a fixed layout without text flow. You mentioned that I buy someone's book, but this is a simple question. Why does InDesign not make it easy to convert an InDesign CS5.5 file into an ePub file with fixed images without text flow. Amazon and Google have lots of those types of ebooks in ePub format for sale with fixed images without text flow?

• 6. Re: EPub Scanned Images without Text Flow
                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

TabulaMentis wrote:

The ePub version of the ebook will have a fixed layout without text flow. You mentioned that I buy someone's book, but this is a simple question. Why does InDesign not make it easy to convert an InDesign CS5.5 file into an ePub file with fixed images without text flow. Amazon and Google have lots of those types of ebooks in ePub format for sale with fixed images without text flow?

Because if you read anything about creating EPUB files, you'll find that that's NOT how they're intended to be used.

For example, in the first paragraph of the Wikipedia article about EPUB, you'll read:

"EPUB is designed for reflowable content, meaning that the text display can be optimized for the particular display device used by the reader of the EPUB-formatted book. The format is meant to function as a single format that publishers and conversion houses can use in-house, as well as for distribution and sale."

So that's why InDesign exports EPUB the way it does.