3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 10:50 AM by peter minneapolis

Numbered list not updating when I move text boxes around

maccoutinho Level 1

Hello everyone,

So I'm using a paragraph style with a numbered list on different text boxes in reference to several images and then I'm cross referencing them on a column of text next to it.

Still the numbering doesn't get automatically updated if I move one text box above another one.

If I have, lets say, text box with numbering 15 and I move it above number 14 shouldn't the number in the text box get automatically updated to 13? Is this some conflict due to cross-referencing or is it just a buggy system?

Is there some way to manually update the numbering?

I could move the texts around and manually re-order the text boxes but then what's the point of having automatic numbering? I want all of the numbers on the separate boxes to update themselves and update the cross-referencing automatically afterwards.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

MACC

• 1. Re: Numbered list not updating when I move text boxes around
          peter minneapolis Level 4

maccoutinho wrote:

Hello everyone,

So I'm using a paragraph style with a numbered list on different text boxes in reference to several images and then I'm cross referencing them on a column of text next to it.

Still the numbering doesn't get automatically updated if I move one text box above another one.

If I have, lets say, text box with numbering 15 and I move it above number 14 shouldn't the number in the text box get automatically updated to 13? Is this some conflict due to cross-referencing or is it just a buggy system?

Is there some way to manually update the numbering?

I could move the texts around and manually re-order the text boxes but then what's the point of having automatic numbering? I want all of the numbers on the separate boxes to update themselves and update the cross-referencing automatically afterwards.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

MACC

Hi, Macc:

It seems like such a simple question. OK, it IS a simple question. However the answer isn't. I started a detailed reply, but ran out of time, so it'll have to wait.

Briefly:

* Moving unthreaded text frames on a page doesn't change the numbering of numbered paragraphs in the frame.

* Moving unthreaded text frames across a page boundary does renumber the paragraphs, beginning after the highest-numbered paragraph on the page.

* Inserting or deleting a numbered paragraph in an unthreaded text frame increases or decreases the numbering of paragraphs in the frame, and all higher-numbered paragraphs on the same page and all numbered paragraphs downstream through the document.

* Some of these behaviors apply when cutting and pasting threaded and unthreaded text frames, but some don't seem to follow the same rules.

Please let me know if this is helpful.

If you think the behavior should be different, please file a feature request at wish.

If you can, please see if this fails for you; I think it's a bug: [EDIT] I'm using InDesign CS5.5 (aka 7.5)[/EDIT]

* Create an unthreaded text frame on a page where there are other frames. Apply a numbered-list paragraph style to one or two paragraphs in the frame. Copy and paste the frame on the same and another page. Undo all the way back to before you created the first frame in this test. Then try to redo the sequence with Edit > Undo. Try the same thing with a text frame that's been cut from within a text-frame thread. These seem to fail for me - can't undo back some number of steps and then redo.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Numbered list not updating when I move text boxes around
            maccoutinho Level 1

Thank you so much for that explanation.

The way the numbered lists behave themselves is really awkward, to say the least, but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm using a blank page to move them around and re-order them as necessary and then moving them back to the actual page they should be in.

I've also discovered that sometimes clicking the text frame and applying the style again "Apply Style + Clear Overrides" will push the counting back into the correct order when it's not updating.

I will file a request through that link.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Numbered list not updating when I move text boxes around
              peter minneapolis Level 4

maccoutinho wrote:

Thank you so much for that explanation.

The way the numbered lists behave themselves is really awkward, to say the least, but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm using a blank page to move them around and re-order them as necessary and then moving them back to the actual page they should be in.

I've also discovered that sometimes clicking the text frame and applying the style again "Apply Style + Clear Overrides" will push the counting back into the correct order when it's not updating.

I will file a request through that link.

Thanks!

Glad it helped.

Automated numbered lists originated in continuously-flowiing text. That's a straightforward model - upstream stuff is lower-numbered, and downstream stuff is higher-numbered.

Using automated numbered lists in free-form page-layout design creates the need for rules of behavior, some kind of logic processor to manage the numbering. A logic processor needs to know the properties of each object that it considers. So, users need to apply the desired rules to the objects. So, someone's needed to build all needed rules and make them available to users so they can choose and apply them to the objects.

Simple, right? Well, if you think chess is simple...

Good to know you'll file a request. There's always a delay between asking and receiving results. Sometimes it's within a same-numbered release, like InDesign CS5 to 5.5, but usually the interval is more like one or two releases, like InDesign CS5 to CS6. The more requests for a feature change, the more attention it gets, but popularity isn't king.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices