8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2011 7:43 AM by the_wine_snob

Running Windows 7 [64 bit]-Do I need to install Quicktime?

Bluesburst

Hello all,

This is my first Post. I'm a Premier Elements 9 Newbee

and want to know if Apple Quicktime is needed with Windows 7?

If so, do I download the 64 Bit version?

My Premier Elements 9 software is working fine without it.

I'm using a Canon Vixia M-30 with memory cards.

So far, no issues with the exception of a few video files showing only green thumbnails in the organizer?

I will be back with countless questions on how to do this and how to do that but i'm learning slowly.

Thanks Bluesburst

• 1. Re: Running Windows 7 [64 bit]-Do I need to install Quicktime?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Apple's QT Player is only available in 64-bityet (though one might be forthcoming).

PrE relies on QT Player (or the QT Alternative) pretty closely. Most of that reliance is related to MOV containers, but also H.264 (though there are alternatives from companies, such as Lead and MainConcept). We recommend having QT Player (or a viable substitute) installed and updated. However, I have read of a few, who run PrE fine (not using any format/CODEC, that QT Player provides). I cannot personally verify PrE's operation in those conditions, as I have QT Pro 7.6.3 installed on each computer.

Maybe Steve Grisetti (our trusted MOD), or one of the Adobe engineers can comment directly on what, "under the hood," might require QT Player.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Running Windows 7 [64 bit]-Do I need to install Quicktime?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Bill, if you're saying that a 64-bit version of Quicktime isn't available -- Apple does offer this 64-bit installer for Quicktime 7.6.6.

That is if you don't mind installing iTunes too.

https://swdlp.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SoftwareDownloadApp.woa/wo/oxD8Ir6aPi4iXgrqhju4 Bg/2.5

• 3. Re: Running Windows 7 [64 bit]-Do I need to install Quicktime?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

But the actual QT Player program is still 32-bit only, is it not?

Hunt

• 5. Re: Running Windows 7 [64 bit]-Do I need to install Quicktime?
                Bluesburst Level 1

Yes,When installing PE9 it says that Quicktime is needed in order to play Mov / Mpeg4 / 3gp video.

I believe the HD quality files imported from my Canon M-30 camcorder are MXP /FXP/ AVCHD.

I have not converted them into any other format.

I have been shooting in FXP mode because the Canon M-30 tells me when shooting in MXP mode

it can not create AVCHD files?

So I have not used that mode.

Burning DVD's has not been a problem and i'm told my Sony Blu-Ray played plays AVCHD files

which play in 1080 HD.

So why use Quicktime?

Is it going to alter the way I view & edit video [meaning using a different player or software other than PE9]?

Learning PE9 is a challange and i'm just getting started, I don't wan't to be even more confused!

Again, Thanks for the helpful replies.

• 6. Re: Running Windows 7 [64 bit]-Do I need to install Quicktime?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

AVCHD is a sub-set of the H.264 CODEC. A common way to get that CODEC installed properly on the system, is with Apple's QT Player, but that is not the ONLY way. One can acquire that CODEC from other suppliers, such as Lead, or MainConcept (there are many others too). It could well be that you have that CODEC on the disc, that shipped with your camera, and that would be a very good place to get it from. It might be separate, part of a camera driver package, or perhaps is installed with some editing software provided by the camear mfgr. on that disc.

With camera mfgrs., there is also often some tweaking that goes on with common CODEC's like the AVCHD flavor of H.264. If the camera mfgr. HAS tweaked the CODEC, you will likely do best by installing THAT version.

If you have the CODEC required, and do not use any of the Apple containers, like MOV, you should be able to get by without Apple QT. Note that I said "should," as I have never tested this, having Apple's QT Pro on all of my machines.

Still, I have been told that PrE interfaces more closely with Apple's QT Player, than say PrPro does. Not being an Adobe engineer, I cannot verify that this is true, and to what level.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Running Windows 7 [64 bit]-Do I need to install Quicktime?
                    Bluesburst Level 1

Hi Bill & thanks for the information.

I installed Quicktime 7 yesterday.

When I open the Quicktime player I am prompted to:

"Some of the file types associated with Quicktime applications

are currently associated with with other applications.

Should I restore these file type associations to Quicktime"?

Do I need to do this or should I proceed without doing so?

Will connecting these files to Quicktime alter the way I view / edit or import video in P.E.9?

I don't want to make changes to Elements default settings until I have more experience with the program.

Will I be viewing my video's with Pe9 or Quicktime if I chose to "restore the file types to Quicktime?

Thanks again for your help.

Bluesburst

• 8. Re: Running Windows 7 [64 bit]-Do I need to install Quicktime?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

QT Player can play and display a lot of file types.

Fortunately, some years back, Apple changed the way that QT Player installed and set itself up. Now, it asks. I set the MOV and MP4 as the only file type associations to QT Player, and leave the others assigned per the programs, that I want to launch with the rest.

Good luck,

Hunt