5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 12:19 AM by Peter Grainge

Conditional Build Tags Bugs

tecwriter38

Hello,
      I have problems with Conditional Build Tags since I upgraded from RH7 to RH9 .
      I am using the following software:

• Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3.
      • Version control software (RoboSource Control 3.1) as we share projects between 3 authors

And I mainly work in wysywyg view.

When I open a project on my PC, the conditional build tags I've defined in a topic apply themselves unwanted and randomly.
      The deletion of conditional build tags from the topic Properties > Advanced tab > Content-level tags > Remove button does not work properly. The selected tag is removed only for the paragraph pointed by the mouse cursor. When I navigate down in my document, this tag is still present on other paragraphs.

Sometimes, I must switch to the html view to remove the tags manually.

I noticed that a thread has seent on May 5, 2011, for which Peter Grainge gave a link to a TechNote with a fix. I tried to access this TechNote, unsuccessfully.
      I also read that Adobe RoboHelp Service Release 9.0.1 is intended to fix the following: CBT gets applied randomly in topic content on switching between the HTML view and the Design view in certain scenarios.
      However, my scenario is completely different as CBT gets applied randomly when OPENING the project in WYSYWYG.
      Moreover, my administrator told me he has already downloaded this release.

With single sources, our team produces online helps for various versions and products. This situation is very uncomfortable for me, and my colleagues, as the produced documentation may contain bad information for a version or a product or may miss information. My work is not reliable.

Has anyone encountered this situation and found a solution?

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Conditional Build Tags Bugs
          Jeff_Coatsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm pretty sure that the CBT bug that 9.0.1 fixes doesn't apply to projects that have already gotten messed up - only to new ones created under 9.0.1. You'll have to straighten your existing projects out manually. Once they're fixed, they shouldn't get messed up again. Check the Help > About to verify that you've got the patch installed first.

• 2. Re: Conditional Build Tags Bugs
            tecwriter38 Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your answer.

I've checked the patch version installed on my PC, as indicated. The patch is 9.0.0.228 dated 20/12/2010 (same as that displayed in the Help > About RoboHelp HTML).

I do not know if another is available.

However, you say that I must "straighten my existing projects out manually. Once they're fixed, they shouldn't get messed up again".

It is what I did. I fixed all the tags manually in the topics and checked them out.

When I reopened these topics yesterday, the tags were messed up again. Less than the first time but still messed up.

I cannot explain how tags can apply again unwanted and randomly whereas I removed them.

• 3. Re: Conditional Build Tags Bugs
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

You don't have the patch applied. It should be showing 9.0.1.

You can either check Help > Updates regularly or set RoboHelp to check automatically. You will need local admin rights to install the patch or get IT to do it for you.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 4. Re: Conditional Build Tags Bugs
                tecwriter38 Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help.

Effectively, the patch was not installed.

I ran the update and did not need any passwords to do it. The About RoboHelp HTML now shows 9.0.1.232. However, the version of the  PolarisProjectFile.dll still shows 9.0.0.228. Is this normal?

The IT administrator is sure to have downloaded this release. He thinks something got wrong during the downloading process and that it failed.

This release solved some of my problems:

I opened again the projects in which I identified that tags were messed up.

- For some, tags were still messed up. I had to fix them again manually. I checked them in and re-opened them. They were clean.

- For others, they re-opened with tags properly assigned (miraculously).

I do not understand these differences in behavior.

I do not feel confident when I open a project. We manage so many topics that it is impossible to identify those in which tags are messed up. How can I be sure that tags are correctly assigned? It is so an uncomfortable situation !

Moreover, I identified another problems yesterday.

I wanted to open a project that another member of the team upgraded to RH9 last week. RH9 proposed me to upgrade it.

A member of the team wanted to open a project that I upgraded on my PC.  RH9 proposed her to upgrade it.

We removed these projects from our local directories and used the Open project from Version Control again. And it was OK.

This situation should not occur. What do you think?

The other members of the team have the patch 9.01.232 (and the same version of dll as me).

The IT thinks that these problems are linked with my user account.

Historically, Windows XP was installed in French on my PC whereas my colleagues were in English.

As I had so many problems after upgrading to RH9, my Windows XP is now in English.

However, I keep having problems (those mentioned in this discussion).

The solution proposed now is to change my machine for a new one.

Could this be really the final solution?

Do you have any opinion on this matter?

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Conditional Build Tags Bugs
                  Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

I ran the update and did not need any passwords to do it.

It is not about passwords, it is about rights attached to the profile.

The About RoboHelp HTML now shows 9.0.1.232. However, the version of the  PolarisProjectFile.dll still shows 9.0.0.228. Is this normal?

That's the same as my setup.

I opened again the projects in which I identified that tags were messed up.

- For some, tags were still messed up. I had to fix them again manually. I checked them in and re-opened them. They were clean.

- For others, they re-opened with tags properly assigned (miraculously).

I do not understand these differences in behavior.

The patch does not fix the problem, it simply stops it happening again. If you closed messed up topics without saving, they may well have closed without the mess. The time to worry is if you clean up the tagging and it goes wrong again.

Upgrading prompts.

That is odd. I am wondering if that is something to do with what is being checked into and out of source control, not my area. If anyone upgrades even though they should not be, does that stop the problem when someone opens next time?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge