10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2006 8:41 AM by Newsgroup_User

3d rotation

microes
      i.m trying to create a 3d rotation much like the widely used carousel only the rotation i desire consist of four upright( at 90 degrees) movieclips resting on a slanted, 30 degree plane which rotate (following a tween or way to bring the rotation on stage) on a oval like path - then pause for a given number of seconds(4 to 8 secs) at the same point in the rotation (the lower left corner or the rotation)
      i.m also attempting to bring easing into the rotation with the tween class that will eventually surround a graphic element
      i.m aiming to use four DIFFERENT looking movieclips (maybe with a loop and array or ?) instead of the approach i.m using now (attaching mcs).
        • 1. Re: 3d rotation
          Level 7
          microes,

> var count:Number = 0;
          > function around() {
          > count++;
          // etc. [bunch of code snipped]

Do you have a question?

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. 3d rotation
            microes Level 1
            yes,
            how would i include four different mcs in this rotation moved with a tween class and have them all pause at the same point in the rotation?
            can anyone provide help?
            • 3. Re: 3d rotation
              Level 7
              microes,

> yes,
              > how would i include four different mcs in this rotation
              > and have them all pause at the same point in the rotation?

LOL Wow ... honestly -- really -- how would anyone have been able to
              guess *that's* what you were asking? All you did was post some code,
              without any explanation or question. (Now, it's possible you edited your
              post in the web version of this forum; unfortunately, such edits are not
              applied to the NNTP feed, which is what many people use to interact with
              these forums.)

Your question is not an easy one to answer. I recommend you check out
              this free chapter from the famous Super Samurai book ...

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/samurai_ch2.html

... it's a legit download. This is an interview with the authors, and they
              made chapter two (all about 3D in Flash) a free sample.

David Stiller
              Adobe Community Expert

• 4. Re: 3d rotation
                microes Level 1
                well, thanks for pointing me to a source.
                • 5. 3d rotation
                  microes Level 1
                  _
                  • 6. Re: 3d rotation
                    Level 7
                    microes,

> well, thanks for pointing me to a source.

Heh, should I have copied and pasted the whole thing here? :-p

3D simulation is an advanced topic. That chapter will give you a *lot*
                    to chew on. In one of your other questions here, you asked about the Tween
                    class, but you included no Tween class in your sample code. It made me
                    wonder if you understood the terms you were asking about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not making fun, I promise ... just trying to
                    assess your comfort level with ActionScript. I suspect you've jumped into
                    the deep end without learning some of the basics. It's a tempting prospect,
                    but may hurt you in the long run.

For that reason -- because I'm trying to truly help you -- I'm steering
                    you toward a source that will provide you with lots of useful information,
                    but you'll have to "pay for it" by spending a bit of time getting to know
                    your tools.

David Stiller
                    Adobe Community Expert

• 7. Re: 3d rotation
                      kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      don't stress over helping this person david. he's posted more than a few duplicate threads here trying to get others do his work for him.

i gave up trying to help him and am pretty sure he's lifted all the code he's displaying and is not able or willing to do the coding himself.
                      • 8. Re: 3d rotation
                        Level 7
                        kglad,

> don't stress over helping this person david. he's posted
                        > more than a few duplicate threads here trying to get
                        > others do his work for him.

I think you're right. That's too bad, though, because A) he's missing
                        out on a great opportunity to learn and B) working against those who might
                        help him accomplish that goal.

David Stiller
                        Adobe Community Expert

• 9. Re: 3d rotation
                          microes Level 1
                          kglad -
                          you got the wrong impression - i was merely trying to combat a deadline, my post was URGENT
                          it was my first attempt as a designer, new to actionscript, working with 3dimensionality in flash
                          sorry to bother you??? i.ll continue to work with the code.
                          thanks anyway for the HELP
                          stay +
                          • 10. Re: 3d rotation
                            Level 7
                            microes,

> kglad -
                            > you got the wrong impression - i was merely trying to
                            > combat a deadline, my post was URGENT
                            > it was my first attempt as a designer, new to actionscript,
                            > working with 3dimensionality in flash sorry to bother
                            > you???

I can't speak for kglad, of course, but I would hardly say you're
                            bothering me. I've certainly been against tough deadlines -- I understand
                            that pressure, and it's never fun -- but I'm not bothered by someone
                            *else's* pressure. ;)

> i.ll continue to work with the code.
                            > thanks anyway for the HELP
                            > stay +

That's the way to get it done, definitely. Start with the basics, then
                            work your way up. It's the same in any field.

David Stiller
                            Adobe Community Expert