3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2011 11:57 AM by miss_marple RSS

I have enough variables in line 1.  Why won't CS5 parse my data set?

jl2000 Community Member

Hi -

I have to create about 60 separate files with different sets of images.  I decided to learn how to use Data Sets.  I made a spreadsheet in XL, saved it as CSV, under Images/Variables/Date Sets I clicked  "Import".  I navigated to my CSV and got the error message "Could not parse the file contents as a data set. There were not enough variable names in the first line of the text file."

I get this error whether or not I select "Use First Column for Data Set Names".  It occurs even if I change the CSV to a plain TXT file.

What am I doing wrong??  How can I get this data set trick to work???

TIA your expertise.

JL

Using Win7, Photoshop CS5

• 1. Re: I have enough variables in line 1.  Why won't CS5 parse my data set?
          miss_marple Community Member

Let's check step by step

1) A correct csv file looks somewhat like that one (I prefer the editor)

textdatei.gif

2) In the first line must be your variables, exactly as you have them defined in the Image > Variables menu. Comma or tab separated.

At the end of the line no comma. Press enter for a new line.

In my example the variables are "Name" and "Bild".

3) In the following lines are the data. The first entry corresponds with the first variable, the second entry corresponds with the second variable and so on.

At the end of the lines is no comma.

4) The csv file should be on the same place as the main file and the pictures to be replaced. Are your picture paths defined correctly?

miss_marple

• 2. Re: I have enough variables in line 1.  Why won't CS5 parse my data set?
            jl2000 Community Member
            miss marple  -  Thanks for the reply.  
            Just to make sure:  I have about 10 layers in my PSD. 
            One layer is named "Photo" and that is defined as "PhotoVar". 
            Another layer is named "Quin" and that is defined as "QuinVar". 
            They are both image layers so I have set them for Pixel Replacement.
            Below is my current text file saved as "data.txt".
            The PSD, the text file and all images are in the same folder.

I am still getting the same message. 
            Again-this happens whether or not I check "Use First Column..." and/or "Replace Existing..."

What should I try next? 

PhotoVar,QuinVar MODEL_403_SCAN_2_3.JPG,MODEL_403_SCAN_2_13.JPG MODEL_403_SCAN_3_3.JPG,MODEL_403_SCAN_3_13.JPG MODEL_403_SCAN_4_3.JPG,MODEL_403_SCAN_4_13.JPG MODEL_403_SCAN_5_3.JPG,MODEL_403_SCAN_5_13.JPG MODEL_403_SCAN_6_3.JPG,MODEL_403_SCAN_6_13.JPG

Thanks again,
            JL
            • 3. Re: I have enough variables in line 1.  Why won't CS5 parse my data set?
              miss_marple Community Member

Your example looks perfektly accurate.

I guess

• you checked the listing in Image > Variables > Data Sets thoroughly.
              • you checked the spelling carefully.
              • you tested the file assignment in Image > Apply Data Set?

Do you mind to test my example file set in your Photoshop?

http://www.osterbrook.de/_schultz_ablage/test.zip

It run without failure in PS CS4 (english version) and PS CS5 (german version)

miss_marple