7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2011 1:51 PM by the_wine_snob

Quad or Duo?

_Paz_ Level 1

I've recently purchased Premiere Elements 9.  Unfortunately, I may have to buy a new laptop soon, as my current one has started freezing up on a regular basis.

So, for the new processor, Quad or Duo core?

Online reviews from a couple of years ago indicate a faster, but less expensive, duo core will outperform a somewhat slower, more expensive quad core, primarily because  software (at that time) didn't support hyperthreading for quad cores.  Is that still the case with version 9?

thanks,

Paz

• 1. Re: Quad or Duo?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on the type of video you're trying to edit.

If you're editing standard miniDV or slideshows with photos, you can probably get by with a dual-core.

But, for hi-def -- especially AVCHD or video from a DSLR -- I'd go with a quad core.

• 2. Re: Quad or Duo?
            _Paz_ Level 1

Thanks, Steve.

I'll be working on HD video from a Canon 7D, so I'll look at quad core models.

By the way,  I'm enjoying your book, "Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 9."  I just wish it had larger pictures and type!

thanks again,

Paz

• 3. Re: Quad or Duo?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thank you, Paz! That means a lot to me.

• 4. Re: Quad or Duo?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Laptop Video Editing PC

http://www.sagernotebook.com/
                -or http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=118
                -or another brand laptop with the following features
                -the newer sandy bridge 2720 or 2820 quad processor
                -and nvidia graphics preferably the 460m, 485m is a bit much
                -1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card
                -and 8 or 16 gig ram and Win7 64bit Pro
                -and 2 internal 7200 HDDs minimum
                • 5. Re: Quad or Duo?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With HD, I would definitely go with an i7, and especially with the H.264 footage from the Canon. Matter of fact, if you can go with a recent i7-9xx, I would jump on that, as the H.264 footage is very CPU intensive.

Good luck, and enjoy the new laptop.

Hunt

PS - I have a Sager, and it has been great. I am planning on getting a new one, or a similar unit from ADK.

• 6. Re: Quad or Duo?
                    _Paz_ Level 1

Steve,

:)

John and Bill,

Thank you for the specs and laptop brand recommendations.  They look like no nonsense powerhouses, which is exactly what I want.

A while back I was drooling over Lenovo's 17" dual screen, dual hard drive, integrated Wacom laptops - but I can't find it for sale now.   Apparently it's been discontinued. The biggest drawback I could anticipate was that it was heavy, but when I travel I take a Wacom with me, so I'm carrying heavy already.   I keep a second monitor on my boat but it is a hassle to disconnect from the DVD player and then reconnect again if someone else wants to watch a movie while I'm working.

I have an IBM laptop currently and LOVE the IBM's 'famous' keyboard.  It truly is superior in tactile touch and key placement to every other laptop keyboard I've ever used. Unfortunately, neither the Sager or ADK sites show the keyboards very well.  Does anyone have experience with IBM and Sager/ADK keyboards and  know how  they compare?

thanks,

Paz

• 7. Re: Quad or Duo?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Paz,

This PAGE has my Sager's Clevo keyboard. Though not a good shot, it should give you an idea. As ADK uses the Clevo chassis, I assume that they use this, or very similar keyboards.

The only limitation that I find is with the Home, End, PageUp and PageDn, which are handled via the Function (Fn) key, to convert them from the Cursor arrows. In Video editing, I use the Fn key quitea bit to use those Home, etc. keys.

Good luck,

Hunt