39 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 7:36 PM by karasmason

Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename

Lonnee

I just upgraded to CS5.5 and now when I am trying to overwrite an exported pdf, I get an error message that says I may not have permission or the file may be open. The file is not open. I put it in the trash but cannot get rid of it because it tells me it is in use. I have closed Acrobat and inDesign and reopened them and that did not change anything. I have restarted my computer (New G5 2 x 2.4 Quad-core Intel Xeon) and it works once or twice and then the problem starts again. HELP!

• 1. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
          Stix Hart Level 5

Have you updated 5.5 to its latest version? Updates here.

Can you export to a new filenale obviously?

• 2. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
            Lonnee Level 1

Yes, but this never happened in CS3. It makes many unnecessary files. And as I said, when I put the old ones in the trash they say they are in use and cannot be deleted.

• 3. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
              Stix Hart Level 5

Yeah, it shouldn't be neccesary at all.  Are you updated?

• 4. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                Lonnee Level 1

yes. I am updating the system and Java script now with the latest updates. I restarted the computer and was able to empty the trash. Really a pain. My clients make small revisions several times to a project. I really don't need extra pdf versions.

• 5. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                  Stix Hart Level 5

I totally agree, I over write PDFs all day long myself.  I wasn't saying you need to rename your PDS to get it to work, I was just trying to trouble shoot what might have been an export problem.  If updating doesn't help I don't think I can help you any more myself, it sounds like it might be an OS problem (and I'm on WIndows) with some process hanging on to ownership of the original PF file.

• 6. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                    Lonnee Level 1

I thought the same thing. I closed acrobat, inDesign, and Bridge. I'm sure this is a new glitch with CS5.5.

I guess I will do my work arounds for now and hope they fix it PDQ. Thanks for trying. I have had a few other anomalies. That's what happens when you upgrade everything after 5 years. I was happy in my old world. But I am extremely happy with my new speed. Fabulous!

• 7. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                      Stix Hart Level 5

In another thread (here) somone mentioned that this problem occured when thay had attached the PDF to an email using the standard Mac mail program, whatever that's called.  Is that a factor in your case?

• 9. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                        Stix Hart Level 5

It's a Mac problem, not InDesign then.

• 10. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                          Lonnee Level 1

How do you know? And how do I fix it? I tested it on several files that had not been emailed and they were fine. Is it a Mail issue?

• 11. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                            karasmason Level 1

I'm not saying that it's not a mac problem, but If it was, it seems as though it would also apply to PS and AI, which it doesn't. This started in CS5 so apparently it is still an issue in CS5.5. It was not a problem in CS 3 or 4.

And if it was a mac problem, it seems as though it would be OS specific. I know first hand that it is present in Tiger. Anyone else want to claim another OS that has the same problem?

Apple Mail has nothing to do with it either. There isn't even an export to Mail option in ID. This is specifically when exporting to pdf (print version) a file for the second (or more) time(s) and not changing the name of it.

The fix is to make sure that you close the file AND the folder that contains the pdf that you want to overwrite. Of course if you forget, you'll get the nice little reminder that it's busy. After 100 times, you'll get it down, believe me!!

Also, to delete files that won't delete, hold down the option key when emptying the trash, on the mac.

• 12. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                              Lonnee Level 1

Well, I just closed my mail program, then deleted the trash and away it went. So it seems to me that this is a mac mail issue.

• 13. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                Lonnee Level 1

I just did another test. I sent a file to myself, then tried to overwrite it with mail open. I got the error. I closed mail and the file overwrote correctly. Thanks for narrowing this down. Now I just will quit mail and life is simple again.

• 14. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                  karasmason Level 1

I just tested this myself. Mail was open, tried to resave a pdf from ID, got the error message.

I closed mail and tried to resave the same file, got same the error message. It says there is already a file by that name, I say ok. It gives me the dialogue box to make whatever changes, (I'm using a preset for a printer I send my jobs to), I say to save, and then I get the error message.

It makes no sense to me that Mail would have anything to do with exporting a file out of ID to a pdf. What's the relationship there??

What OS are you using?

• 15. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It isn't that Mail has anything to do with the export from ID, it's that Mail is failing to release the "in use" status for the OS, so the file can't be overwritten.

• 16. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                      Lonnee Level 1

I am using OS 10.6.8.

• 17. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                        Lonnee Level 1

I have to agree with this. It is still something Mac needs to fix not Adobe.

• 18. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                          macinbytes Level 4

Mail holds the attachment as intended behavior. If you delete the attachment from the message it will still hold it as it is needed for undos. That's what it is supposed to do. You can either get Outlook or another commercial email client that supports editing attachments in drafts or make sure you are 100% good with your attachment before placing it in the message.

That's part of a long list of reasons why I use Microsoft's email client for work. Mail is fine for home and that is what it is designed for, a light and simple email client. I'm content with them leaving it this way to avoid confusing Grandma. I really don't think it is Apple's responsibility to make their applications suit very specific needs, that's where software vendors are meant to pick up.

• 19. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                            Lonnee Level 1

This has not been an issue until snow leopard.

I switched from a microsoft application for mail when it

kept bombing and wiping out all my formatting in my address book.

Many wasted hours. I refuse to use any microsoft products.

I don't know how you use your mail but it is how I proof jobs to my clients.

They make minor tweaks and I need to update the PDF files.

I am sure my attachments are correct when I attach them.

I am not revising them after they are attached. Who would do that?

I have used Apple's mail program with much better results for over 8 years.

I don't think I have ever been confused. I'm glad you are content to have

what you consider intended behavior. I'm not. It did not work this way in OS 10.5.8.

I hope if you are in a position to fix this you will.

• 20. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                              Lonnee Level 1

I just performed the same test on my laptop which is still running 10.5.8. No problem making changes to a CS5.5 inDesign document, exporting to PDF and mailing it. Then I made changes and exported to the same PDF overwriting it. No problem. Works just fine as it always has.

This proves it is not CS5.5, but mail running in Snow Leopard. I can still use my workaround, but would really like it fixed.

I wish mail did not have such a hard time letting go.........

• 21. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename

Lonnee wrote:

I hope if you are in a position to fix this you will.

If you see an Adobe Employee badge below someone's name, they MIGHT be in position to help do something about Adobe products (Adobe is a big company, and not every employee has that kind of clout or responsibility), but the rest of us are just users like you, and I've never seen anyone identify themselves as an Apple engineer...

• 22. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                  karasmason Level 1

I'm thinking maybe I have a different problem than what this thread is about. I am not trying to email a pdf. I am using Tiger and CS5. I tested the process last night to see if Apple Mail happened to open at the time, did that affect whether I could re-save a pdf created from InDesign with the same file name, essentially overwriting it? It made no difference, I got the same result. The folder that contained the .indd and the related pdf WAS open. Once I close the folder, it will work. I also tested it to see if it happened with any document that had previously been an email attachment with one that has never been emailed. I got the same results.

I keep my school assignments in a folder, and my jobs in another folder. I keep the .indd and the .pdf files in the same folders. If I open a the folder to get to the .indd that has already been exported to a pdf, make changes and export again, not changing the file name, I get the file is busy error. I noticed immediately upon upgrading to CS5 from 4.

If Apple Mail is involved somehow, why does this problem not exist with pdfs created in Illustrator? Illustrator does save as instead of export, maybe that's relevant? Save as always overwrites.

• 23. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                    Lonnee Level 1

My experiences are only with Leopard and Snow Leopard and inDesign CS5.5. I did not have the issue with CS3 and Leopard.

I know I used CS3 inDesign with Tiger and also did not have the issue.

• 24. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename

karasmason wrote:

I am using Tiger and CS5.

Aside from whether or not you might be having a probelm with Mail, Tiger is not a supported OS for CS5 (minimus sytem requirement is, I believe, 10.5.8). That you are able to get it to run is marvelous. Running completely error-free would be miraculous.

• 25. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                        karasmason Level 1

oops. my bad. I'm running 10.5.8. Forgot that's why I had to update my mac.

• 26. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                          karasmason Level 1

Sorry, correction. I have Leopard, not Tiger.

10.5.8 and CS5 (not 5.5)

• 27. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                            Lonnee Level 1

I successfully over wrote all files I needed to today. I closed the mail application and all was well.

• 28. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename

karasmason wrote:

Sorry, correction. I have Leopard, not Tiger.

10.5.8 and CS5 (not 5.5)

OK. You may have some other issue besides Mail, then. There is no question that Mail on Snow Leopard causes this behavior, but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY thing that would do it. The other Mac users may have more ideas on possible conflicts.

• 29. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                                m@ttg Level 1

I'm having the very same issue.  Moments ago, I exported a pdf out of InDesign CS5 (OS 10.6.8).  I opened the pdf to double check it.  I adjusted a few things, then tried to re-export, therefore overwriting the previously created pdf.  No dice.  I get the "Cannot save to file...." message.  I usually only have this issue with pdf's that have been attached to emails that I've sent out.  I've closed both Mail and Acrobat, trying to see if it would overwrite the original pdf.  Still wouldn't do it.  So it appears that whatever this issue is, doesn't seem to be caused by either Mail or Acrobat. 

On a side note, I have noticed that I'm able to overwrite pdf's that I've emailed the day before.  Not sure why that is since my computer doesn't get shut down at night.  I would've guessed that it's because I've closed all my programs and reopened them the next day, but today's issue seems to contradict that notion. 

• 30. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                                  Lonnee Level 1

I always close down mail when I am going to overwrite a pdf and I have not had any problems since.

It is definitely a mystery.

I also have issues with old files that were created in Quark. I do not have access to them now, since CS5.5 disabled my CS3.

• 31. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                                    m@ttg Level 1

Quark seems to be the most unstable piece of crap on 10.6.  It frequently crashes on me.  I'm running Quark 7 (attempting to run, that is).  Most of the time, I have to open Quark by itself first, then open the Quark project file.  If I don't do that, it either takes years to fully come up or just crashes.  Could be due to being an older version of Quark, but damn it's annoying!

But...that is for another forum.  I'm just glad I don't have to use Quark very often! 

• 32. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                                      Lonnee Level 1

I gave up on Quark long ago. I felt they were very unuser friendly.

I just wish a new Quark to InDesign plug-in would hurry up for CS5.5.

• 33. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                                        karasmason Level 1

Thank you for confirming I'm not the only one with this problem. It started for me in CS5. Maybe it has something to do with Mail for others, but in my case, it doesn't. It conditionally happens with every single file I try to overwrite if the file is already open OR the folder that contains the file is open. Mail can be closed or open, the file could have been emailed, or never emailed, it doesn't matter.

Kari

• 34. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                                          m@ttg Level 1

I would LOVE to give up on Quark, I really would!!!  I work in prepress though, and am not afforded that luxury.  Whenever I can, I avoid Quark at all costs!

• 35. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                                            m@ttg Level 1

It's definitely not just you having this issue.  I went from CS3 to CS5 and instantly noticed the issues immediately.  I typically just delete the previously created pdf, but it does become rather annoying.  As of yet, I've only experienced these issues with pdf files.  All other file types seem to be just fine, although I don't typically send unzipped native files, so who knows.  Like you, I've tried closing programs and folders and it doesn't seem to matter.  Why I can overwrite a pdf a day later though still puzzles me.

• 36. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                                              rtisi2

The fix for us seems wierd but, its not having the mail application open. However if we had the finder window open and the file that is trying to be overwriten highlighted, you couldnt overwrite it from indesign CS5, once I clicked off or did not highlight the file, it was able to be overwriten.

Can someone confirm that this fixed it on thiers and its not just a fluke?

• 37. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                                                karasmason Level 1

Mail has no bearing on whether I can overwrite a pdf or not. Others claim it is the source of the problem, in my case, it is not. If the folder containing the pdf that I want to overwrite is open, I can't do it. Close the folder, and I have no problem. I just make sure I close the pdf and the folder, which is a pain, but it solves the problem every time.

• 38. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                                                  jerry4Green

I had this same problem on a Mac.  The problem was the right or permissions on the folder the PDF was being saved.  The folde was locked or read only, once this was changed the problem was removed.

• 39. Re: Cannot overwrite revised pdf to same filename
                                                                                    karasmason Level 1

I was really hoping this was the solution for me when I found that the folder was indeed locked even though I do have read/write permission. I unlocked it and tried to overwrite the pdf. It worked the first time, so I tried it again, and it didn't. Apparently the folder locks itself again as soon as I close it. So how do I keep my folder unlocked and is it safe to do so? I didn't check the option to apply to everything inside the folder, just because of the stern warning that you cannot undo if you choose this option. InDesign has been saying you "do not have permission" or "the file is in use".  So that not having permissions staring me in the face....how do you fix that? I don't want to put my work in a shared folder, is there another way?