1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 4:23 PM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

spidercave

I have ALL versions of InDesign from 1. through to CS5 except for ID CS4. My client wants me to utilize this for a major project we are doing, so there won't be any problem with up/down saving etc. I am using a Macbook Pro and I have a licensed version of CS4 and for whatever reason I can not get it to load. I tried this more than a year ago before CS5 came out....couldn't even get the trial version to work. I have deleted ALL CS3 and CS5 applications and done an Adobe clean suite sweep. Still it takes the registration number and then after spending all the time to upload it says "license is expired". I've never even heard of a license expiring and would wonder, but this is their multi-license copy that several people are using AND it has said that with any copy I've tried to upload. I tried it with the internet off, of course restarting before each time to have a clean trash bin and fresh start. I've tried every way I can think of and it has cost me a whole day of work! I even crossed my fingers and rubbed my lucky penny....no luck at all! There must be something in there that's keeping it from being able to load. OH, did I tell you I even set up another user and tried it that way?

I'm out of options and would appreciate and advice and help.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
          Stix Hart Level 5

License expired?  That's weird.  You can get subscription licenses off Adobe now that would do that, but I'm pretty sure they didn't use to have them.

Have you tried calling Adobe, daunting as that may sound?  If someone is giving you run arounds apparently you can ask for your case to escalated (that exact word) and that does something...

• 2. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
            John Hawkinson Level 5

I agree, call Adobe for license problems.

You may consult /tmp/amt3.log on your machine and see if that gives you any insight, though.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
              spidercave Level 1

I'm not sure what this means:

consult /tmp/amt3.log on your machine

Tips? I had a chat with Adobe support, but they didn't know what to do and the phone customer svc was closed. I think they are going to charge me 40 bucks though!

• 4. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                John Hawkinson Level 5

It is a file on your hard drive. Respectfully, I don't think you're going

to get too much out of it unless you are more familiar with such things

than you seem to be. But you could open a window in the Finder,

hit Cmd-Shift-G, and enter in /tmp. Then open amt3.log in TextEdit...

• 5. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                  spidercave Level 1

Interesting way to get to a folder! I did look at the amt.log (no 3 was in the name) and also the alm.log. They pertained specifically to my recent reinstallation of CS3. I had to get some work done! I did see in the alm.log this notice on serveral of the listed apps "Failed (status = -73)". These are apps I did not put back on my drive or were in the CS4 suite that failed to launch (although installed fine!). I just really don't know what to do to get a running copy on my computer!

• 6. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

Whoops, sorry. amt3.log is the logfile for CS5. Not sure what's up with CS4.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                      spidercave Level 1

Sorry for another question as I can't for the life of me get onto forums right now....won't log me in!

First, I solved my issue and it was an odd one. Here is the file I was directed to:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49485.html

I followed the steps except was told to use the date Dec. 20, 2008.

My tip is to open ALL the apps while in that date, then go back to your actual date.

Weird steps and it's something that Adobe should pay me to have dealt with! Having that kind of install issue to me is unexceptable.

OK, next question....I am using a template in INDesign 4. I have the template in a regular folder in my files. When I go to file>open from template it launches Bridge and always to some random area. When I open the file directly as just an "open" then it just opens the template. I want it to open a new file from the template with no name right in ID. I looked on the forum, but everybody had a different thing that they wanted. It worked a couple of times and then suddently started launching Bridge! Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Huh. curious that.

Is your template filed named with the .indt extension? Wht happens if you open it, and then save a copy as a Template with the INDT extension? Does it still happen? What does GetInfo in the finder say? Do you have the Mac OS X Developer Tools intalled? If so, run /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo on the file and report back what it says.

• 9. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                          spidercave Level 1

It has the indt tag and it's a CS4 template. I created it then saved it as a template. It will either open as the original file with that name if I double click it or if I File>new document from template it launches Bridge. It worked once and then suddenly wouldn't do it!

• 10. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think the Bridge part is expected. As far as I know that command is just a shortcut to Bridge and tells it to open the Adobe templates area. If you store your templat someplace else, ID has no way to know. ANY template can be opened using File > Open... and navigating to the file.

The opening behavior is a bit more curious. the .indt extension is supposed to trigger a default behavior of "open as a copy" (which is the "normal" behavior for templates). First thing I would check is to be sure you don't maybe have both a .indt and a .indd version of the file. Second would be to use File > Open... (rahter than a double click) so the dialog opens and check to see what option is selected for "open as" in the lower left. If it continues to open as original (the "normal" behavior for documents), try doing a save as and overwrite as a template again.

• 11. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                              spidercave Level 1

Peter:

I have tried and tried to post on the forums again. Signed in with 2 different names (don't ask!) and still can't get a new topic button. Here is my issue:

I have a large scale file (several) that I'm working with. It is 60" x 210". The file made in ID is fine, but I am having a hard time making a proofing PDF. Tried Distilling, directly from the app (export), and making them into eps and opening them in Acrobat to create a 4 page file. All ways cropped the files.

Do you by chance have a tip??? Please?!!

And I figured out my loading of the application problem. It was so strange and many steps:

1. Install software

2. If you get a "licesnse expired" notice the...

3. Change the date on your computer to Dec. 20, 2008 (it's stated differently in the Adobe info, but the phone support stated this date).

4. Launch the app or any of the CS apps if you've loaded more.

5. Go to HELP> Deactivate>Erase my serial number.

6. Close the program.

7. Open each application.

7. Change the date back to today's date on your computer.

8. The products should all launch correctly!

• 12. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                Stix Hart Level 5

As to your PDF problem have a look at this here.

The best work around is to make it exactly half the size, export with double the resolution, and make that very plain to your output vendor

• 13. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                  spidercave Level 1

Clears it up a little, but is there any other work around? The file is fine at it's true size of 210" and is what the vendor requires (true to size). It's only the proofing process for the client that's become difficult. I don't want to change the file size just for the pdf. I have ID CS5 as well....is this solved there?

• 14. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                    Stix Hart Level 5

No CS5 doesn't solve it, as that article says it's a PDF limitation not an Indesign one.

You say your only problem is proofing, how about when you want to export a PDF for final output?  Same problem....

There are other work arounds but they're worse and none gets you a 210" PDF.

• 15. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What do you know. That post finally came in handy for just the scenario I was worried about. That gap between 200" and 216".

Bob

• 16. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                        spidercave Level 1

I'm not sending a pdf as final output, but the actual ID file with outlined type. Is there any preference or something I can do within Acrobat to be able to make one that size? Or is it just a no way situation?

• 17. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

I'm confused. Why aren't you sending a PDF as the final file, and why on earth are you outlining fonts?

• 18. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

spidercave wrote:

I'm not sending a pdf as final output, but the actual ID file with outlined type.

Why would you do such a thing?

If your printer can't handle a PDF scaled to 50% with live text it's time to find a new printer.

Bob

• 19. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                              spidercave Level 1

It's not normal printing, but scrims, wood, etc, so they prefer to get the live file as they need to set parameters, etc. Not under my control!

• 20. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                                spidercave Level 1

These are requirements from the vendor which produces multiple types of products. It's for museum graphics.

I hate outlining fonts, but again it's a requirement. I tried to talk them out of that one last time as when the the type was outlined on a bunch of label files my numbered bullet formatting disappeared. Plus I had another where things moved where I'd used "story" text option. Slaps you in the face when you see it on a 16' x 5' graphic that the large "B" you placed so carefully moved!! I was hoping the 50% file response wasn't going to be the answer as they are laid out to an exact specification and I'll have to redo all that. Not always fun with these jumbo files!

Just for my knowledge IF I was going to send only PDFs what are the standards for settings these days? Seems like everyone makes print ready PDFs differently.

• 21. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                                  spidercave Level 1

And lastly, I have not utilized "live text", so can you please enlighten me??

The museum fabricators I've worked with ALL want live files with PDFs only for review and visuals.

• 22. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

"Live text" is text aht is still editable, not converted to outlines.

TO make your "reference only" PDFs you can place the original ID file into a new smaller file and scale it, then export. To get outlined fonts without losing bullets, underlines, and stuff like that you MUST make a PDF and convert to outlines as part of the flattening process. You can "convert bullets to text" before oulining in ID, but there's no hope for underlines, paragraph rules, or drop caps. Once text stops being text, that stuff no longer applies.

If you can somehow convince them to take a PDF in order to preserve the design, you'll find a thorough discussion of outlining, and the pitfalls, at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/660696

• 23. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

By live text I simply meant that the text had not been outlined.

I've found that sending PDFs with the press preset has been just fine in almost every case.

Bob

• 24. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                                        spidercave Level 1

"make a PDF and convert to outlines as part of the flattening process"

I'm assuming this is done on the ID side of things before sending to export>pdf as I've never seen any text options on the pdf dialog box. But, I'm always up for learning something new!

• 25. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

Read the thread I linked (and the InDesign Secrets article that's referenced) and you'll see what I'm talking about. The technique requires that you create a File with transparency, then export to PDF, flattening the transparency, and as part of that flattening you convert the text to outlines.

In CS4 this should work without resorting to special tricks outlined by Dov Issacs, but you should read the whole thing anyway.

• 26. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                                            spidercave Level 1

Unfortunately I am still not able to post an issue on the forums, so only have the option of answering back on this same string!

I have a file in ID that in the pages panel shows the square with the little checkboard. I know this has to do with transparency and goes off and on when you check the box in the panel options. Here's the question: I DO NOT have any transparency going on in the file, yet the square shows up. If I turn off in the panel options then it isn't there, but I'm wondering what else could cause this to show up when there is not any transparency going on? I want to make sure there isn't something strange in the file. This is that jumbo 210" file that I previously discussed and will cost many dollars to fix if it isn't right the first time! (five part, two sided scrims!)

• 27. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

First off, let's try to get you straightened out about being able to log in and create a new thread. It seems pretty odd that you can post here, but if you go to http://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign "Start a Discussion" is not availble to you in the Actions box on the right. If that's really true, go to http://forums.adobe.com/ and use the Log Out link on the right side of the page. After doing that, clear any cookies for forums.adobe.com, then close the browser. Restart the browser and return to the forum page, then click the login link at the upper left and try logging in again.

Lots of things constitute transparency. Some examples are images that have no "Background" layer or vector graphics with transparent backgrounds, drop shadows or other effects applied in ID, or blending modes applied in the effects panel in ID (pretty much anything other than "normal" in that panel constitutes transparency). It's quite easy to have transparency without realizing it.

• 28. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                                                spidercave Level 1

I will try all those forum things, but I did try logging in/out, etc to the point that I was ready to scream.

As for the square I have NO transformations at all. It's just a very large full bleed photo. I want to make sure there's nothing strange going on, but it actually shows 100% opacity and none of the other transformations are checked. I do have the transparency box checked in the panel options (it would be pretty useless if it shows it whether you have something or not!). Ideas??

• 29. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

Is Look at the photo in Photoshop. Does it have a layer named Background? Is it turned on (including under image layer options in ID)? Do you see any checkerboard showing in Photoshop?

Can you post a screen capture of the Effects panel in ID with this image selected? Use the Camera icon on the web page to embed it in your post like this:

CameraIcon.png

Is there anything else at all on this page? It's not necessarily the image that has the transparency.

About the login. Did you really log out onthe main forum page? The login/logout in the upper right corner is the general Adobe.com login/logout and is not the same. It's also important to clear the cookies for forums.adobe.com to get things straightened out.

• 30. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                                                    spidercave Level 1

Screen shot 2011-07-14 at 1.58.36 PM.png

That was fun! As you can see I have 100% opacity and no other FX. I tried to make the window larger, but it wouldn't since there was nothing else in it. I checked the image and it is a jpeg 450MB with no layers.Ideas??

I did log in to forums again. Seems I now have 3 Adobe logins plus my forums log in. Go figure.

• 31. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

OK, that's on the master page, so let's take a look at the master page. Go there, select the frame withthe photo and cut to the clipboard temporarily. Did the transparency indicator disappear? If not, Select ALL (from the Edit Menu don't trust the selection tool to catch them all) and look for ANYTHING else on the page or pasteboard and check those for efects, etc., or if you don't need them, delete them. Paste in Place to put the photo back.

If the transparency indicator DID disappear, reselect the image go back to the Effects panel and click the fx dropdown button on the bottom to check for shadow, glow, etc. that might be applied.

If it still isn't solved, try, in this order, Remove minor corruption by exporting and Replace Your Preferences

• 32. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                                                        spidercave Level 1

Screen shot 2011-07-14 at 2.22.32 PM.png

This is nuts. I got rid of the master page item (ended up making this a different way). When I delete the photo the square goes away. The photo is selected in this image and as you can see there are no effects at all. When I delete the photo the square goes away, so it is the photo that is causing the unknown issue. What else can it be?

• 33. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

Where it says settings for Object, open the dropdown and also check the other possibilities. And the photo frame is selected, right? You should also make the same checks after selecting the image itself with the direct select tool.

• 34. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                                                            spidercave Level 1

There are NO effects on anything on these pages whether it's stroke, fill, type, object (graphic) or anything! I am pulling these ID pages into another ID doc that is 50% of the size (for proofing since the file is over 200"). When I bring the pages in from this doc it also makes the square show up, so it's something within this file. I just have no idea since it shows NO effects for anything. I did the select all on every page, but I'll double check that. It's only one photo and two small boxes of type in the slug area per page.

• 35. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

Can you send me the file? I'm sending you a drop box address by private message.

• 36. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

Got your file.

Two things: 1) When I export to .inx and open that, the transparency disappears, but that doesn't mea a lot since the link is missing here and ID may not be aware that it is transparent. You could try that on your end. 2) you said this was a jpeg, which doesn't support layers, but the links panel says .psd, so I suspect the file really is transparent, but I have no way to check since I don't have the link. Rexamine it in Photoshop.

• 37. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                                                                  spidercave Level 1

Sorry, the file is .psd but the client named the layer .jpg with a number. There are no other layers. When I tried to make a pdf this is the warning I got:

The document's transparency blend space doesn't match the destination color space specified in the Export Adobe PDF settings. To avoid color appearance changes in the PDF, click Cancel anc change either the document's transparency blend space, or the desitination color space.

I'm not sure what this means!

• 38. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!
                                                                                    spidercave Level 1

The image is cmyk and the document blend space is cmyk. The image is 8 bit color. Should I change to 16? jc

• 39. Re: InDesign CS4 install problems on a MAC....HELP!!

It sounds like you are trying to export a flattened PDF from ID and the destination space you specified is RGB. That's not the source of the transparency though. The warning is a symptom of having transparency. Did you look at the image in Photoshop to try to figure out where the transparency is coming from? I suspect this may be a layered image file and you dont't have solid pixels throughout.

1 2 Previous Next