6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 1:04 AM by Nick van der Aa

Bringing graphic to background

Nick van der Aa

Sorry, this question should be easy as cake but it's my first time in Indesign, which is different from PS and Illustrator.

I want to bring the blue decoration to the background. Maybe i want on the background in the textblock, but on top of the image.

How do i do this? Work with different layer like in PS? broch1.jpg

• 1. Re: Bringing graphic to background
          Stix Hart Level 5

Select the object and go Object > Arrange > Send Backward until where it's where you want it.  Of course after doing this a few times you'll start using the keyboard shortcuts instead.

If it's easier for you you could use the layers panel, either create a new layer and drag it to that, then drag that layer to where you want it, or in CS5 and later click the little triangle to expand the layers and drag the little square to where you want it.

1.png

• 2. Re: Bringing graphic to background
            Nick van der Aa Level 1

I tried that, but in the Arrange section none of the items i can select.

Also: Can i reduce the opacity of the graphic?

• 3. Re: Bringing graphic to background
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Nick van der Aa wrote:

I tried that, but in the Arrange section none of the items i can select.

Also: Can i reduce the opacity of the graphic?

Is the object selected? Is it on a layer all by itself? If the latter, you'll need to drag the layer into the correct order in the layers panel. Infact, you can use the layers panel in CS5 or later to drag objects on the same layer into any order, too, just like in Illustrator.

You can set down the opacity for the object (by which I presume you mean you want the background to show through it) in the Effects panel. If you mean you want the color lighter, but don't don't want the background showing through, select the object, then drag the slider in the top of the Swatches panel to change the tint. If there is no swatch associated with the color, add it, either by dragging the color from the color picker or Colors panel into the Swatches panel, or from the Swatches panel flyout menu choose "add all unnamed colors."

If you are going to use transparency, text should be at the top of the stack for best results. Text behind a transparent object may become outlined or rasterized at output and will look different from surrounding text.

• 4. Re: Bringing graphic to background
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like it may be on a master page or locked.

Bob

• 5. Re: Bringing graphic to background
                  Nick van der Aa Level 1

Thanks, I guess i will be working in ten or more layers from now on. I make a layer for text which is on top all the time. Then come the other layers for images and graphics etc. That will do the trick.

There is one thing is still can't and i'll try to explain this as best as i can:

I've got one decorative graphic from Illustrator and one image, both in Indesign. A part of the graphic has to go over the image and another part under the image (in the picture above it's the blue line. I want one curl on top of the image and one curl beyond it).

• 6. Re: Bringing graphic to background
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You'll need two instances of the curl, and you'll need to crop them so they appear in front or behind the image, as appropriate. You may need to use the Pen tool to modify the shape of the frame to work around the shape of the curl. In a case like this, the two curls and the image should probably all be on the same layer to allow you to group.