3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2011 6:46 AM by Colin Brougham

Moving Clips - Frustration

ExactImage Level 3

Coming from FCP I'm used to being able to pick a clip up on the timeline and move it (e.g. to early on the sequence) complete with audio.  As I pull the video clip up a track (in FCP) the Audio goes down a track (or two tracks for stereo pair) and I can move things left and right without overwriting the clips that were immediately left or right on the same (original) track.

Premiere Pro seems to only move the video (if you click and drag the video) OR the audio (if you click and drag the audio) but not both.   I've read the manual looking for a "Shift" or "Control" or "Alt" key to make it work like FCP but can't figure it out.

So, how do I move them up/down a track simultaneously?   If it can't be done then it's a two step operation which is crazy!  Feature request time!  Arrgghh!

Help!

Also, I'm sure I've read that there is no way to constrain, but IS THERE anyway to constrain a clip during a vertical move (so it doesn't drift left or right) ?   I'm spending more time realigning clips to 00:00:00:00 offset than I am moving them.  Frustrating and time consuming for something that FCP achieved by holding the shift key while moving.    Any hints?

• 1. Re: Moving Clips - Frustration
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

1. You can Link the audio and video clips using the context menu, or use the new Merge Clips feature in CS5.5.

2. The "Snap" feature lets you snap to timeline events as you drag; it also constrains the clip vertically when you first begin to drag.  The constraint is soft, though, and can be overcome accidentally.  Turn snap on/off with the magnet icon under the timeline timecode display or with the keyboard shortcut "S".

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Moving Clips - Frustration
            ExactImage Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

The clips ARE linked, and the audio highlights (selects) when I move the vide, but the audio doesn't move up/down, it just stays on the same track (and visa versa) where as I'm used to being able to move a clip up/down out of the way (including the audio) so that I can move another clip where this one was or move this to cover another clip without destroying the audio.

Example:

Clip 1 :   Video on V1 and Audio on A1.

Clip 2 :   Video on V1 and Audio on A1 immediately after clip 1.

I want to move Clip 2 to V2 and then left over Clip 1 so that I can do a picture in picture (as an example) over Clip 1.   As I click and drag Clip 2 video to V2 and move it left (over Clip 1) Clip 2's audio is over writing Clip 1 audio (on A1), whereas on FCP the audio for Clip 2 would now have moved to A2 and not over write Clip 1, because as I move the video for Clip 2 up a track the audio moved down a track. 

Is this possible in PPro ?  It seems that the audio is being constrained to the source track regardless of which track I move the video to, so it's overwriting audio I wanted to keep (I actually want to keep both).

I also have snapping turned on (as you suggest), but as you say, it's really weak.  This is a major feature request (I've posted it) because not being able to constrain is costing me lots of time.

• 3. Re: Moving Clips - Frustration
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I want to move Clip 2 to V2 and then left over Clip 1 so that I can do a picture in picture (as an example) over Clip 1.   As I click and drag Clip 2 video to V2 and move it left (over Clip 1) Clip 2's audio is over writing Clip 1 audio (on A1), whereas on FCP the audio for Clip 2 would now have moved to A2 and not over write Clip 1, because as I move the video for Clip 2 up a track the audio moved down a track. 

Is this possible in PPro ?

It is, and it's arguably more flexible in Premiere, though perhaps not as intuitive or obvious as in FCP.

Following your example above, when you drag Clip 2's video to V2, hold down the Shift key; this "pins" the video portion of the clip to whichever track you happen to have landed in. While holding the Shift key, drag the mouse down to the audio tracks; the video portion of the clip will stay put, and you can position the audio portion in A2 or any other audio track that you like. This is what makes it more flexible than FCP's implementation, where the clip would always be moving in lock-step. Similarly, you can pin the audio portion if you drag it first, then hold Shift, and then drag up to the video tracks.

I totally agree with you on the relatively puny magnetic force when vertically dragging. I've request a vertical contraint modifier, as you apparently have. If you zoom in a bit before dragging, you'll have more finite control, or you can position the playhead to the first or last frame of a clip, which seems to make snapping a bit more active.

1 person found this helpful