8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2011 10:43 AM by lhwohl

Object state and PDF

Lorenzo_Paolini

I'm working with Digital Publishing Suite and I have deeply appreciated the function "Object state". When used in connection with buttons and, eventually, the "Overlay Creator" it enables superb effects.

I wonder about the fact that this helpful function does'nt work if the document is exported in PDF.

Just in fact, at the moment, this feature works only with DPS, but I know that it is present since CS4, in times when DPS did'nt exist.

Can you explain this?

And when will be available in PDF exported documents?

Thanks

Lorenzo

• 1. Re: Object state and PDF
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Works with SWF and DPS...that's it.

Whether it will ever work with PDF is something that has not been announced.

Bob

• 2. Re: Object state and PDF
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Each of the digital printing export formats (EPUB, PDF, DPS, and SWF) is developed by a different group of people for different purposes. PDF may be the oldest and is now an ISO standard. Generally, formats controlled by standards organizations are the slowest to change so don't hold your breath.

• 3. Re: Object state and PDF

The workaround would be to export just the MSO to SWF and place that into a PDF.

Bob

• 4. Re: Object state and PDF
                Lorenzo_Paolini Level 1

Hi Bob. Unfortunately your suggestion is not helpful, because in this way the PDF will not run on Ipad. My goal is enrich a PDF magazine and export it on Ipad.

thanks

Lorenzo

• 5. Re: Object state and PDF
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you set overly high expectations about what can be accomplished with a particular format. And especially on devices that have been on the market not much longer than a year! Remember that PDF evolved on PCs and Macs over a course of many years and Adobe pushed a ton of money getting its reader and creation software to work well with a ton of capabilities—but through about 10 years or more of evolution.

The PDF readers on the iPad are at an early state. (And probably even worse if you're talking about Android tablets, which which I have no familiarity.) GoodReader and PDFExpert programmers have focused on things like improving their display and including annotations capabilities. I just today heard about ezPDF Reader for iPad which is the first reader that supports video. Supporting embedding SWF wouldn't be supported until (if ever!) the iPad supports Flash.

• 6. Re: Object state and PDF
                    lhwohl Level 1

I'm also trying to get a MSO to work in a PDF, although not necessarily for the iPad. While exporting just the MSO and trigger buttons as a .swf file and placing it in my PDF does work, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to deal with the resolution issues. The dimensions of the image seems to be independent of the dimensions of the PDF, so viewing it looks quite different depending on at which percent the PD is viewed at, while the rest of the PDF accommodates as expected. In other words, when I view it at 100%, the image may be fine, but at 50%, the image appears at the same size and just gets cropped to the page size. Any ideas on how to make this workaround work?

• 7. Re: Object state and PDF

Sounds like you're using an unpatched version of CS5. If so, make sure download and install the CS5 7.0.4 update.

Bob

• 8. Re: Object state and PDF
                        lhwohl Level 1

Wow! Thanks! That pretty much solved the problem. I assumed it was just another lame interactive PDF thing. I hassled with the weird issues around adding sound for months. The only thing is that I can't seem to get a higher resolution file created, despite my settings. Doesn't seem to matter whether I increase the size of the percent, dimensions, or resolution. Any ideas?