16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2011 9:57 PM by Alex Hawkins

PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac

Alex Hawkins Level 1

Hi all,

After a couple of years on FCP it looks like we're switching back to  PPro. I have a Kona LHi card on my MacPro 4.1, (2009) an NVidia GTX285  card and 16GB RAM. I have the latest 9.0.1 Drivers and am using the  latest AJA Adobe utilities.

I have major lagging issues within PPro 5.5 just moving clips around on  the timeline. My audio is very laggy and drops out on occasion, my video  is laggy and jittery when scrubbing the timeline and PPro's general  responsiveness is woeful and virtually unusable.

Am I missing something here? Is this a problem with the LHi card on the  Mac or is it something to do with the AJA Adobe utilities or the GTX285 card? I am at a  loss.

Any help or knowledge would be deeply appreciated.

TIA,

Alex Hawkins
      Canberra, Australia

• 1. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
          lasvideo Level 4

The best way to find out is conduct a scientific approach to testing.

1. Make sure you have the latest aja 9.0.1 drivers (both the kona/lhe drivers AND the 9.0.1 Adobe plugin). If problem persists...

2. Make sure you have the most current Nvidea driver for you card  If problem persists...

3 Uninstall the Adobe plugin and check for problems

You get the idea. Im on a Kona 3 with ATI card so I cant be of specific help.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
            needles27-Sm3DjP

Hi Alex,

Good to see you post this.  I have the *exact same situation and hardware as you (same Kona board, graphics card, MacPro 4,1, etc...) - and I have been having many problems as well.  Was excited to switch over to PPro from FCP (and I'm sure this is going to happen much more frequently now that FCPx is a bust) and had heard of all the speed improvements.  But I have had trouble with sluggish timelines (dragging clips around in the timeline lags far behind the cursor) , sluggish editing, dropping audio from the Kona card during cuts.  I am about to have some more conversations with AJA about this and also keep searching out clues here on the forums.

My question to you:  what kind of footage are you editing that gives you issues?  For me, it is H.264 coming from my Canon 5D.  Is it happening with all different kinds of codecs and footage?  Can you be a little more specific about the issues? (ie when do you experience the sluggishness and the audio dropouts?  Does it happen if you disable the Kona player and just use the Adobe player instead?)

I can post more of my findings as I get more time.  Hopefully we can track this down.

Thanks,

Danny

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
              Alex Hawkins Level 1

Hi Danny, Thanks for posting.

All my footage is SD XDCam brought in by XDCam transfer. I have imported other graphic files and various other footage but it's all the same. Just a general lagginess, terrible performance. I don't think it's the NVidia card as we have another suite here with the ATI card and it's doing the same thing.

I'm really at a loss. I mean FCP works just fine, really responsive and no problem at all. Have you tried editing without the Adobe utlilities and seen if that makes a difference?

PPro says that the Mercury Playback Engine is working with the video card but it's like there's no memory being used or something like that. I hope we can solve this somehow....

Alex

• 4. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
                Pharther Phurther Level 1

Needles27 .. Are you using a Wacom tablet or have a Wacom driver installed? or a wireless bluetooth mouse?

• 5. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
                  needles27-Sm3DjP Level 1

I don't think the graphics card has a whole lot to do with your problem - unless you are throwing some effects on your clips.  Playing back your footage should be no problem for this machine.  Are you playing back from a RAID?  Have you checked your activity monitor to see what your CPUs are doing during playback?  Can you be just a bit more specific when you say "general lagginess?"  Are you dropping frames?  Having sluggishness moving clips around in the timeline?  Delays when you hit play or pause when playing back from the timeline? 

Also, I did try removing my Wacom tablet and I need more testing to see if this helped out my situation at all.  Still working through the bugs on my end...

• 6. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac

Try a standard USB mouse. Post reply here.

• 7. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac

Needles .. try using a standard USB mouse .. and post back here.

• 8. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
                        Alex Hawkins Level 1

I am. I'm using the Wacom intuos 4.

Should this make a difference? Really??

• 9. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac

It your having mouse / cursor issues of click-hold-drag lagging .. and unresponsive double-clicks try a standard USB mouse.

Please post back here.

• 10. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
                            Alex Hawkins Level 1

I uninstalled the AJA Adobe Utilities and that made a difference to PPro's responsiveness. I am able to edit more quickly, without the lagging that I was experiencing before.

Why, I do not understand.

Unfortunately now though I cannot see any of my video on my external broadcast monitor or capture and print to tape.

So it looks like it could be an AJA issue. Something I'll have to take up with them I suppose...

Alex

• 11. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
                              lasvideo Level 4

AJ, do you mean you deleted the new AJA Mac Plug-ins for Adobe CS5.5 Version 9.0.1 ? If so I had the same problem. I have a work around for you until they are revised.

1.Reinstall the above mention files.

2. Cut a clip into your (aja format) sequence . When creating a seq. for use with Kona 3 etc, you must use one of their seq. templates.

3. Immediately add an effect to the clip. I use the Fast Blur set to 0. This forces a render bar to appear. (red, green or yellow). That gives you an idea of how playback will go. Render as needed.

The issue seems to be that the new AJA Adobe plugins  allow a sequence of clips to be created that dont have render bars. Therefore things that might need rendering cant be rendered.

When you delete those AJA adobe plugins and create a standard PrP sequnce, you will now see those render bars are back.

AJA is a wonderfull company and I know they will adddress and solve this issue. I encourage you to get in touch with them.

• 12. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
                                Alex Hawkins Level 1

Thanks lasvideo (Tom?), I shall indeed contact AJA.

Interesting prognosis though. I'll give that a go.

How did you figure that one out?

Cheers,

Alex

• 13. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
                                  lasvideo Level 4

A very knowledgeable person (none other then the talented Todd Kopriva from Adobe) made that suggestion. I must say their customer support (in all its manifesations) is superlative. Apple not only didnt come close, for video profesionals it was nonexistent.

• 14. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
                                    Alex Hawkins Level 1

Cool Bananas.

I tried your suggestion and unfortunately that did not work for me. In fact I got an 'Error compiling movie. Unknown error' message when I tried to render anything.

Plus the sluggish playback etc all came back.

Mmmm?

• 15. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
                                      lasvideo Level 4

That means that our issues are not the same. Bummer.

I strongly suggest you get ahold of Adobe tech support. The will sit with you and go thru the process of verifying your issue. They can link up to your computer with very cool software and see exactly what you are seeing. They also can inspect and try things with you. I was amazed at the thouroughness and knowledge of the support person that helped me with an issue. All I could think after that hour session was...Apple would never do this...

If its still not resolved, get with AJA technical support. Perservere.

• 16. Re: PPro CS 5.5 and Kona LHi Card on Mac
                                        Alex Hawkins Level 1

Thanks for the encouragement. That all sounds great. It's nice to hear such positive feedback at this current time.

Am persevering!

Cheers,

Alex