5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2012 8:36 PM by cliffclof

Cut on the fly

grindhouse201

Hi,

Im coming from FCP. I would like to switch over but i do music videos for a living and i need to know if i can cut on the fly but also cut through 5 to 8 layers of video at the same time. I do it all the time on FCP. I dont want to do the markers thing. I hope someone can help with this.

• 1. Re: Cut on the fly
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Unfortunately, adding an edit while playing back a sequence stops playback (if that's what you're referring to). However, Premiere Pro does have multicamera editing, which will allow you to sync up to four angles and cut between them without stopping playback. It's limitation is that you only have four angles, whereas FCP offers more (9, maybe?).

Premiere has two "Add Edit" functions. The first--Add Edit--will slice through whichever tracks are targeted in the sequence, whether they are video, audio or both. The second--Add Edit to All Tracks--will cut through all unlocked tracks, regardless of how they are targeted. A targeted track is indicated by the lighter gray color in the sequence track header area, eg. Video 1, Audio 1, etc.

• 2. Re: Cut on the fly
            Stanley Arthur Level 3

I do a lot of edit on the fly using the keyboard shorcut Ctrl+K. But as Colin mentioned, it does stop playback. I just keep my hands positioned over the necessary keys and keep hitting the space bar to continue. I've just become used to having to do it. I edit a lot of mock trials with rapid back and forth between attorneys and witnesses. I've found it to be the fastest way for a 2-camera shoot. If I were doing 3 or 4, I'd go the multicam route, as it does not stop playback on the fly.

• 3. Re: Cut on the fly
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Guys, please make a feature request to allow add edits on the fly. I, too, would love to see this implemented. http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 4. Re: Cut on the fly
                grindhouse201 Level 1

I have the entire cs5 Master Collection. The only program i dont use is PREMIERE because of this limitation. I guess i will stick with FCP 7 for now. Thank you all.

• 5. Re: Cut on the fly
                  cliffclof Level 1

This feature was implimented in CS6.    Also note that ctrl+shift+k cuts through all tracks.