15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 9:48 PM by shooternz

Love Vignettes?

{KMS} Level 2

Check out some native vignette options in PPRO: http://goo.gl/7WuMA

• 1. Re: Love Vignettes?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

While I'm an admittedly huge fan of the Circle effect--and I use it for vignettes as you have--in the era of hardware-accelerated effects, it seems a little declasse Here's my solution presently:

1. Create a title at the size of your sequence.
          2. Use the Ellipse tool to draw a large roundish shape that goes outside of the four boundaries of the image, but leaves the corners visible.
          3. Set the Fill Opacity to 0% for the oval/ellipse. Obviously, it will disappear.
          4. With the oval still selected, add an Outer Stroke; set Type to Edge, Color to taste, and then increase the Size until the stroke covers the corners of the image in the Titler.
          5. Exit out of the Titler, and drop the vignette (now hard-edged) on a track above your video background.
          6. To soften the vignette, add an accelerated blur to the title; either Gaussian or Fast Blur work in CS5.5. Tick the "Repeat Edge Pixels" option, and then increase the blur value until you've sufficiently softened the vignette. You can then adjust the opacity or blending mode (I like Multiply and Overlay) of the vignette clip to taste.

It's another step or two than the Circle effect, but you can save the title as a template which makes recreating it a snap, and the blur as an effect preset. Best of all, it's hardware-accelerated. I'll go back to the Circle effect once it gets the CUDA treatment

Anyway, both methods work--have fun!

• 2. Re: Love Vignettes?
            {KMS} Level 2

Thanks Colin!  I explored a similar workflow in Part II (link is at the end of Part I) that uses title graphics and/or garabage mattes since they are all hardware accelerated.  I don't use the circle either since it is not CUDA accelerated....thanks.

Kevin

• 3. Re: Love Vignettes?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Oh, ha! I missed Part II! Nice job... obviously, a lot of ways to skin this here cat

(Truthfully, I just built a vignette PSD file that I drop into my sequence--no muss, no fuss!)

• 4. Re: Love Vignettes?
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Or if you do need a oval vignette...

Draw a black oval in the Titler, superimpose and drop the Alpha Adjust to it, inverse the Alpha.

Finally drop a Fast Blur to feather.

Both effects are cuda supported.

• 5. Re: Love Vignettes?
                  shooternz Level 6

Wouldnt it be fantastic if the Garbage Matte could be inverted,

softened and have beziers.

Become really useful in CC and comping and save the titler workaround, which does work .. but is kind of imprecise and  fudgy .

Just Dreaming again!

• 6. Re: Love Vignettes?
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can invert the Garbage Matte with Alpha Adjust

But still no bezier handels and feather.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Love Vignettes?
                      {KMS} Level 2

Ann Benns,

That is a great tip.  Thanks.  Makes garbage mattes a little bit easier to use as vignettes.

Kevin

• 8. Re: Love Vignettes?
                        RDA972 Level 3

Instead of dreaming again, I strongly suggest you file a feature request again.

• 9. Re: Love Vignettes?
                          {KMS} Level 2

Dreaming (and sending in feature request) for AE style mask and adjustment layers....I don't know if Adobe thinks it will take too much from AE?

• 10. Re: Love Vignettes?
                            shooternz Level 6

I  have lost the will to place Feature Requests.

Never had a single success or communication regarding them.

Easier to just be a "dreamer" ...and get on with it.

• 11. Re: Love Vignettes?
                              rejdmast1 Level 2

Dreaming (and sending in feature request) for AE style mask and  adjustment layers....I don't know if Adobe thinks it will take too much  from AE?

For this situation, Adobe just doesn't get it.  I don't know how many times I have suggested it.  No one from Adobe will even comment about it.

Get with it Adobe!!  Consult some editors who know what the program needs.

• 12. Re: Love Vignettes?
                                RDA972 Level 3

Adding 'AE style mask and adjustment layers' coupled with Lightroom style grading tools would make CS6 'awesome' to borrow a word from Apple's CEO.

• 13. Re: Love Vignettes?
                                  RDA972 Level 3

You may say you're a dreamer

But you're not the only one

I know one day Adobe will hear you loud and clear

And the Premiere community will be as one.

• 14. Re: Love Vignettes?
                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I  have lost the will to place Feature Requests.

Never had a single success or communication regarding them.

We don't respond to feature requests that often because we don't usually need more information than what's in the submission. We do act on many, though.

I'm the primary person for going through the bug reports for After Effects, and I'm one of two who goes through the feature requests---and I can tell you that we really, really, really value them.

I probably respond to about half of the bug reports---often because the report shows user error or misunderstanding, and sometimes because I need more information to properly file the bug internally.

• 15. Re: Love Vignettes?
                                      shooternz Level 6

We do love you Todd and we do understand.

Just keeping the pressure on because we would hate for you guys to think you now have a clear run to the score  line.

What we are saying is...DONT DROP THE BALL NOW!

We don't respond to feature requests that often because we don't usually need more information than what's in the submission.

For us users...sometimes it is difficult to determine the difference between a Feature and a Bug  ( ie "Opacity Droppings").  I am unsure of the logic behind the way this works so I call it an "issue"  ...because it just doesnt work for me.

It aint a feature or a bug.. but I try and explain the way I and others work and I am never certain if we are getting the :issue" through.

We can only place a Bug or a Feature request.    So..maybe an "issue" needs to be responded to so we can understand why we have the issue or its un resolveable.

Craig