7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 8:29 AM by macinbytes

Data Merge Update Content not adding new records

CminiGo

I am using the Data Merge feature to create nametags.  I have the fields on the master page and am using multiple records per page. It works great except that the customer of course is adding more people at the last minute.  I went into my CSV file and added the new records.  Back in indesign i updated the data source and then "update content in data fields" since the fields are on my master page this should work.  It will update a field that i have changed, as long as it already existed, however the 4 new records at the end do not show up. Why is it not seeing these new records? In my original merge i chose "All records" and didn't specify specific records.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Data Merge Update Content not adding new records
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'd just re-run the merge. If it takes too long to do the whole thing, just runthe last four records.

• 2. Re: Data Merge Update Content not adding new records
            CminiGo Level 1

I've tried re-running it and it doesn't make a difference. I tried it on another nametag document and it did the same thing.

The point is that i do not want to have to re-run the merge everytime a record changes/is added. The whole point of putting the placeholders on the master page is so that i can use the "Update data fields" feature and don't have to do a full merge everytime because i have to add the crop marks in manually after i do the merge.

Also, if the CSV file is sorted in alphabetical order by last name, then first, the 4 new records wouldn't be at the end they are mixed in so it just bumps out whatever records are at the end.

• 3. Re: Data Merge Update Content not adding new records

I don't believe updating the data is capable of adding or removing records. You can put your crops on the master page and they should work. One way would be to use the CropMarks.jsx sample script that ships with ID. This will create a set of marks for your template position, and this will propagate along with everything else. If you want a single set of marks only around the outer edge, another way is to create a second master with the crops drawn on it. Apply the second master after the merge.

• 4. Re: Data Merge Update Content not adding new records
                CminiGo Level 1

Excerpt from Adobe Indesign Help page...

Update data fields

After merging a document with data placeholders on master pages, you can change the layout of the merged document and still update the values of data fields in the data source. Use the Update Data Fields to update the data fields while maintaining the layout of the document. This option is available only in a merged document in which data placeholders appear on master pages.

1. Make any changes to the data source file, and then save and close the data source file.
                2. In the merged document, choose Update Data Fields.

The changes that have been made by updating the data fields appear in a log file.

This option works best when you simply edit or add records in the data source file. If you add placeholder fields, add new fields to the data source, or change the settings in the Create Merged Document dialog box, use the Create Merged Document option to generate a new merged document.

According to the help article this is what it is for, adding records to the data source file so according to Adobe you CAN add records. Creating another master page after the merge is no different than adding the crop marks to the original master page after the merge. It's still duplicate work. The whole reason i put the placeholders on the master page is so that i do not have to re-merge and add the crop marks again. I've already had the customer come back to me five times with revisions to the list and every time i have to remerge and cut and paste the crop marks from an old document. What i'm trying to do is use the "Update Data Fields" Feature so that it will just automatically update the placeholders with the new information and NOT re-merge.
                • 5. Re: Data Merge Update Content not adding new records

You are reading too much into the help topic, I think. I understand it to say that you may change the layout or do anything like that, and change the values inthe data file, and any records THAT HAVE BEEN MERGED will update, but I don't see any indication that new records will be added.

If you've added X records, what's your objection to running a merge on just the last X records?

• 6. Re: Data Merge Update Content not adding new records
                    CminiGo Level 1

Please, does anyone know about using placeholders on the master page and updating content?  I would really appreciate any help from someone who has used this feature.

• 7. Re: Data Merge Update Content not adding new records
                      macinbytes Level 4

The use of the term "Add" in the help is misleading. It's really just edit. If you want more pages added for new fields you'll want to run the merge again from the source document or the merged document with master placeholders.

Either way you will be running the merge again if you want more pages, from the source document or the merged document with the link. There is no way around running the merge again if you are adding items, only modifying. It says it right there in the help

If you add placeholder fields, add new fields to the data source, or change the settings in the Create Merged Document dialog box, use the Create Merged Document option to generate a new merged document.