25 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 11:17 AM by Zac Lam

CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285

Shane_Ross Level 1

OK...So I installed Adobe CS5.5 and opened Premiere and all was good.  I could import footage, edit...everything.  But then I wanted it to work with my Matrox MXO2 mini for external monitoring...and Matrox just released a new update that said it would enable the MXO2 line to do just that.  GREAT, so I installed that.  And then I took out my ATI graphics card and installed my NVidia 285 that I bought for use with RESOLVE...because the card has CUDA support with Mercury Engine and all that. And after I did that I installed the latest drivers (because there was a messageOK...done.

But now things don't work.  Not fully. 

First I tried getting my MXO2 to work by choosing Matrox project settings.  But when I do that, I cannot see clips I load into the Preview monitor...they are black, and well, act like nothing is there. No timecode, press play, nothing happens.  If I drag from the project window into the timeline, the clips appear.  But won't play in the Program monitor.  Can't be seen, press play, nada happens.  I Match Back to a clip in the Preview monitor...I see it's timecode, but no image, and I cannot play.

Then I made a new project, and chose the settings for the footage I was using...DVCPRO HD 720p24...from P2.  Again, I can import, but cannot see anything in the Preview monitor.  I can drag the clips onto the timeline, and NOW I can see and hear things in the Program monitor...but still nothing in the preview monitor.

So this is really messed up and not functioning right at all.  Any clues as to why?

Thanks,

Shane

• 1. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
          Bengaldad Level 1

Shane,

I have a Matrox Mini on a Mac Pro 3.1 in which I also have installed an nVidia GTX285 video card (latest nVidia drivers).  I am using the very latest Matrox mini software and firmware (just checked the Matrox site to ensure that).  I have both CS 5.0 and CS5.5 installed on this Mac Pro.  I have determined that with Adobe CS 5.0 (latest version), the Matrox mini works fine and displays video output on my external monitor via HDMI just as it should.  However, under Adobe CS5.5 the Matrox Presets do not even show up when I create a new project and go to the sequence settings presets window.  Thus there is no way I can get the Matrox mini to output video to the external monitor in spite of the fact that according to Matrox this latest version of their software is explicitly stated by Matrox to support Adobe's Premier Pro CS5.5.

I might also add that the Matrox mini works perfectly with FCP 7 to display video to my external monitor. 

My conclusion is that Matrox has a bug in their latest Matrox mini software and that ti does nto work with PP CS5.5.

Tom

• 2. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'm checking to see if anyone here knows about issues in this area.

In the meantime, would you please submit a bug report?

• 4. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
              Bengaldad Level 1

Thanks for the link to the thread on the Matrox Forum. I read it carefully and tried every solution listed in the thread with no success.  IN Premiere Pro CS5.5, I simply do not have any Matrox Presets and therefore I cannot get the Matrox Mini to display to my external monitor.  I am running OS 10.6.8 and the latest Matrox drivers may not support this version of the Mac OS.

Tom

• 5. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                Bengaldad Level 1

Todd,

I hope you will pursue this.  There is a long thread of people having problems getting the Matrox Mini to output to their external display in CS 5.5 (http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?p=22981#22981Resolved.  Unfortunately none of the solutions given in that thread work for me.  I still cannot get my Matrox Mini to display a vidoe signal to my external monitor when using PP CS5.5.  It works ifne with FCP 7 and PP CS5 but not with CS5.5. I am using Mac OS 10.6.8.  I'll submit a bug report.

Tom

• 6. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                  IN Premiere Pro CS5.5, I simply do not have any Matrox Presets and therefore I cannot get the Matrox Mini to display to my external monitor.

And you said it works in CS5? This makes me think that maybe it's just an installation issue, in that the Matrox installers is not putting the appropriate files in the right places. Does the installer offer options for what versions of software you want to install the plug-ins/presets for? Perhaps it's just not smart enough to install for both CS5 and CS5.5 if both are installed. Did you try re-running the installer?

PS:

I am running OS 10.6.8 and the latest Matrox drivers may not support this version of the Mac OS.

That might be the problem. The Matrox page says:

Installs the Matrox MXO2 Mini v2.2.3 (build 43) software for Mac OS X Snow Leopard only (v10.6.7). This software supports Adobe CS5.5 (Adobe Premiere Pro 5.5, Encore 5.1, After Effects 10.5), Adobe Soundbooth 3.0, Adobe Photoshop 12.1, Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder 3.2, Telestream Wirecast 4.0.1, and QuickTime Broadcaster 1.5.3.

• 7. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

PS:

I am running OS 10.6.8 and the latest Matrox drivers may not support this version of the Mac OS.

The Matrox download page says this:

Installs the Matrox MXO2 Mini v2.2.3 (build 43) software for Mac OS X Snow Leopard only (v10.6.7). This software supports Adobe CS5.5 (Adobe Premiere Pro 5.5, Encore 5.1, After Effects 10.5), Adobe Soundbooth 3.0, Adobe Photoshop 12.1, Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder 3.2, Telestream Wirecast 4.0.1, and QuickTime Broadcaster 1.5.3.

With all the weirdness happening due to 10.6.8, this could very well be the issue.

• 8. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                      Bengaldad Level 1

Colin,

Yes, the Matrox Mini definitely outputs video to my external monitor using PP CS5.0.  It only fails to work in CS5.5, and yes, the fact that I am using OS 10.6.8 may be the problem. Matrtox does not offer you any choices for which version of PP you want teh Matrox Mini to work with during its installation.

Tom

• 9. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Hi Tom,

Interesting. Well, it might be possible to manually copy the sequence presets and plug-ins from your CS5 install to your CS5.5 install, if that is indeed the issue. I'm on Windows, so I can't give you the exact path, but sequence presets should be in the application folder/Settings/SequencePresets; the plug-ins might be in Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/CS5/MediaCore. Try comparing the CS5 folders to the CS5.5 folders, and if there are differences, copying-and-pasting might get you going.

(No guarantees, naturally )

• 10. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                          Shane_Ross Level 1

Ok, mine was a fresh installation of CS5.5...no previous versions whatsoever.  BUT, I did install the Nvidia 285 after I did this, so perhaps I'll try the remove, clean, and reinstall.  When I get back from vacation.  I'll keep you posted.

Oh, I am not running 10.6.8.  I'm on 10.6.6. 

• 11. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Hi Shane,

Thanks for that info; that kind of punches holes in my theory.

Something else to try, based solely on conjecture: in Premiere's preferences, you can specify the player module you want to use. Those of us sans hardware default to only the Adobe Player, but you guys should have a Matrox Player option, as well. Try changing that, to make sure it's not defaulting to the Adobe Player.

EDIT:

This comes from the Matrox Installation and User Guide:

By default, each monitor in Adobe Premiere Pro (Source Monitor, Program
                            Monitor, Trim Monitor, etc.) uses the Adobe Player to play material. However, in
                            order to also preview the video simultaneously on your video monitor when
                            working with Matrox MXO2, your player settings need to be set to use the
                            Matrox Player. To do this, choose Edit > Preferences > Player Settings and
                            choose Matrox Player as the default player.

Hrm...?

• 12. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                              Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hi Colin,

Yes, the Matrox user guide is saying the same thing that you are: The default is the Adobe player, and should be switched to the Matrox player to get hardware output from the Source Monitor, etc.

Zac

• 13. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks, Zac. Could you confirm that that's the likely problem these guys are running into?

• 14. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                  Zac Lam Adobe Employee

If the Matrox Sequence Presets aren't showing up in the New Sequence dialog, or you can't get output to Matrox hardware from the Program Monitor with a Matrox editing mode, that wouldn't be related to the Player Settings in the Preferences.  But it's still a very good idea to set that preference when the other things are working.

If the Sequence Presets aren't showing up in CS5.5 at all after installing the Matrox CS5.5-compatible components, it could be an installation problem.  This Matrox thread details some current restrictions that the Matrox installer expects:

http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=6235

One restriction is that the Matrox installer expects only one version of PPro to be installed.  This seems to address Bengaldad's case, where he has both CS5 and CS5.5 installed.  According to the Matrox thread, this isn't supported by the Matrox installer at this time.  The thread gives a series of steps to resolve this problem.

If the Sequence Presets show up, but there's no output to Matrox hardware from those sequences, then the earlier posted Matrox thread with the Audio Hardware and Audio Output Mapping settings have helped resolve the issue:

http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?p=22981#22981Resolved

Regards,

Zac

• 15. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                    Bengaldad Level 1

My problem was caused by having Adobe Creative Suites all the way back to CS3 installed on this Mac Pro.  I followed the 8-point instructions in this link (http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?p=23020#23020) and it completely solved my problem.  I am happy to report that now, with only Production Premium CS5.5 installed, I have video out displayed on my external monitor from Premiere Pro CS5.5.  Thanks to everyone for their help.

Tom

• 16. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                      Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Great, thanks for reporting back with your success, Bengaldad!

• 17. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                        Darren Hall Level 1

Hi Tom

I had the same problem on my Lenovo Lap top. I had CS5 and CS5.5 loaded when i installed the Matrox Drivers for CS5 they loaded in CS5.5 but did not work, at that time the Matrox 5.5 drivers were not so I uninstalled CS5.5 and reload the Matrox drivers and it worked with CS5. I am wondering if you have the same problem but the other way around. I have a funny fealing that CS5 and CS5.5 can be on the same system but the Matrox Drivers for the two will not work on the same system.

Darren

• 18. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                          Bengaldad Level 1

Daxman1965 wrote:

Hi Tom

I had the same problem on my Lenovo Lap top. I had CS5 and CS5.5 loaded when i installed the Matrox Drivers for CS5 they loaded in CS5.5 but did not work, at that time the Matrox 5.5 drivers were not so I uninstalled CS5.5 and reload the Matrox drivers and it worked with CS5. I am wondering if you have the same problem but the other way around. I have a funny fealing that CS5 and CS5.5 can be on the same system but the Matrox Drivers for the two will not work on the same system.

Darren

Dareen,

You are probably right, but I have only CS5.5 on my Mac Pro right now, and I am happy with that configuration and to have the Matrox Mini correctly displaying video to my external monitor from Premiere Pro CS5.5.

Shane,

I owe you an apology for unintentionally hijacking your thread.  I do hope, howevr, that some of the contents prove helpful to you in addressing your issues with the Matrox Mini and Adobe's Premiere Pro CS5.5.

Tom

• 19. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                            Shane_Ross Level 1

YUP!  That link solved it Alessandro.  It was this:

"1. Audio Hardware: Default Device: set to 'Built-in output'
                                            2. Audio Output Mapping: Map Output for: set to 'Built-in output'
                                            3. Close Premiere and re-open
                                            4. Test playback while working in a Matrox sequence"

All's well. And no audio glitching in FCP...GLEE!

• 20. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                              paulgolden Level 1

I'm having a similar problem, but after quite a few hours on the phone with Matrox tech support, still no joy. 

Computer specs:

• Mac Pro 8 core with Radeon 4870
                                              • Matrox MXO2 Mini going to HP Dreamcolor via HDMI
                                              • OS X 10.6.8
                                              • CS Production Premium 5.5 (I completely flushed my system (Adobe cleaned)  free of all CS flavors before 5.5 fresh install)
                                              • Flushed/reinstalled Matrox drivers 2.2.3.

Settings:

• Matrox System prefs: Set Video output to 1080 (instead of Matrox follows Application)
                                              • Adobe PP Prefs: 
                                                • Set audio hardware to Built In Line Out (not Matrox Player),
                                                • Set Video Player to Matrox Player (not Adobe Player)

Good things (temporary):

1. I can see Matrox Presets in PP 5.5 and create a Matrox sequence
                                              2. I can create a 1080/24p Matrox sequence and drag some color bars and tone in. 
                                              3. Picture displays on monitor and sound works fine.
                                              4. Drag in some 7D footage  and can see it play off the HDMI.  I tried importing some 7D footage as H264 and cut a short sequence. It seems to work until...

Really Bad things:

1. If I import a WAV file (or AIF or MP3) and try to set in/out points and cut it in, everything breaks:
                                                • The Preview window now does not accept new footage and shows as non-responsive black screen
                                                • The Spacebar and Play buttons cease to function, both in the timeline and the Preview/Record windows
                                              2. At this point, even other types of sequences (DSLR for example) no longer function and PP is quasi-dead (menu commands still work)
                                              3. Quitting/Restarting PP has no effect and all PP functionality is GONE
                                              4. Rebooting the computer and starting PP resets everything and brings back functionality until.... I bring a sound file into the Preview window. PP dead again!

At this point, PP is not usable as an edit system (at least with Matrox).  Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Either with Matrox or another system (AJA, BMD etc.)

I'm stumped.  I wanted to see if PP could hold its own against FCP, but this is really bad....

• 21. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                                lasvideo Level 4

Im using this Mac sytem with no problems. Highly compressed files(Red, h.264) demand I lower the playback reolution on the right monitor in PrP, but other wise things are good.

Model Name:    Mac Pro
                                                  Model Identifier:    MacPro3,1
                                                  System Version:    Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
                                                  Kernel Version:    Darwin 10.7.0

Processor Name:    Quad-Core Intel Xeon
                                                  Processor Speed:    3.2 GHz
                                                  Number Of Processors:    2
                                                  Total Number Of Cores:    8
                                                  L2 Cache (per processor):    12 MB
                                                  Memory:    24 GB
                                                  Bus Speed:    1.6 GHz

Chipset Model:    ATI Radeon HD 3870
                                                  Type:    GPU
                                                  Bus:    PCIe
                                                  Slot:    Slot-1
                                                  PCIe Lane Width:    x16
                                                  VRAM (Total):    512 MB
                                                  Vendor:    ATI (0x1002)

Type:    Maxx Digital EVO 2 / Areca RAID Controller
                                                  Driver Installed:    Yes
                                                  Bus:    PCI
                                                  Slot:    Slot-4
                                                  Vendor ID:    0x17d3
                                                  Device ID:    0x1280
                                                  Subsystem Vendor ID:    0x17d3
                                                  Subsystem ID:    0x1221
                                                  Revision ID:    0x0000
                                                  Link Width:    x4
                                                  Link Speed:    2.5 GT/s

AJA Kona 3

Most recent drivers ( Kona & Adobe drivers)

• 22. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                                  paulgolden Level 1

My guess is that the Matrox drivers are not playing nice with PrP, but because the Matrox drivers work with all other programs, I can't rule out a Premiere problem.

• 23. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                                    Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hi Paul,

Let's keep these issues separate from one another, to make it easier on everyone.  There were already two separate issues discussed in this thread that have been resolved.  Please use a separate thread if you'd like to discuss a separate issue.  Thanks.

• 24. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                                      paulgolden Level 1

Hi Zac,

Just to clarify, are you saying that one problem is that a user is unable to see Matrox presets as an instillation issue and the other problem is that (in my case) using the Matrox presets is unstable?  If so, I'll start a new thread....

Paul

• 25. Re: CS5.5...Matrox MXO2 Mini...and NVidia GTX285
                                                        Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hi Paul,

Yes, actually yours is the third issue on this thread.  The other two have been resolved.  Keeping the issues separate is going to prevent further confusion and make these postings much more helpful all around.

Thanks,

Zac