3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2011 6:28 PM by johnfishlock

Data Merge, non sequential

johnfishlock

I have a job which consists of 1200 records in an Excel .csv file. I have a 4 up template with I want the first page with csv file number 1, 401, 801 and 1200 for cutting purposes. Is there a way to do this, or would I be better looking at another option and if so, what option? Maybe an imposition software adon?

Thanks a bunch for any help in advance..

John

• 1. Re: Data Merge, non sequential
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

No, you need to arange the data file in the correct order. It's pretty easy for a single field -- you just break out columns in the spread sheet  for each position on the merge template, then fill downwards until the correct number of rows is reached, which is one row per sheet in the stack, then fill the next column, and so forth. I don't see any reason why you can't do the same with multiple fields, in other words have a record with Stack1field1, stack1filed2, stack1field3 ... stack4field1, stack4field2, stack4field3. Then just drag the fields int the correct positions. Do a single record/page merge.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Data Merge, non sequential
            Stix Hart Level 5

What Peter said, or if you want to buy something, imposition software would make easy work of it.  For example I'd do a one up data merge in INDesign, export it to PDF, then use Quite Imposing (look here for a 3 day trial) to make it into "cut stacks".

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Data Merge, non sequential
              johnfishlock Level 1

Thanks so much for the response, I will give that a try