13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 12:47 PM by sclark14

Alternative to Interactive SWF's

sclark14 Level 1

I am curious what the alternative is to interactive swf's in HTML5.  Is there an Adobe program that allows for the creation of interactive content in HTML5 similar to that that can be created using swf files?  It is highly frustrating to create highly complex interactive content for clients, only to hear the feedback that they want the content to function on both an ipad and iphone as well.  What is my alternative for creating interactive content that will function both with plugins and without?  I am not a web programmer, more of a designer that dabbles in programming.   Am I SOL and need to learn an entire new program?   I am aware of Adobe's Wallaby solution, but as of now, that solution does not solve the problem of interactive content (buttons, etc.).   Any help or guidance (or empathy I guess) would be much appreciated! 

Thanks again forum!

Steve

• 1. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Shouldn't that be talked about BEFORE you do all the work?

Check these out:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/wallaby/

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/edge/

Bob

• 2. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's
            sclark14 Level 1

Hi Bob,

Yes, it should be discussed prior to the work, and yes it WAS discussed prior to the work, but an executive at the client is a big iPad person and she is making a stink about the lack of functionality on the iPad... AFTER the fact... go figure!

Anyway, you must not have completely read my post because the two links you provided are not solutions for INTERACTIVE content, just timed motion content, unless I am missing something.  What I am looking for is something that will allow interactive buttons and such to work across platforms with swf files... or if that does not exist, a comparable program to ID that allows for the creation of such content in HTML5.

Cheers,

Steve

• 3. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's

Across platforms with SWF? That's not the answer either since SWF won't work on the iPad or iPhone.

Sorry, but right now there is no true alternative to Flash for highly interactive content.

Bob

• 4. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                What I am looking for is something that will allow interactive buttons and such to work across platforms with swf files... or if that does not exist, a comparable program to ID that allows for the creation of such content in HTML5.

Motion effects in HTML5 are still driven by JavaScript, so HTML5 eliminates the need for Flash to create banner ads, but great interactive sites are still being made with Flash. See http://www.thefwa.com/. There are few token HTML5 sites listed but 95% are written with ActionScript. None of these will run on your client's iPad, but they will run on any Android tablet.

• 5. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's
                  sclark14 Level 1

I hope the iPad goes down the tubes because of its lack of flash support.  I am promoting the heck out of the other tablet options that

do support Flash.  I think it may start to catch on... Question anyone that owns an iPad about its lack of Flash support and they will all tell you it's frustrating.  In fact, it's funny to hear it from people who didn't even know what Flash was before they bought an iPad.

• 6. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's
                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

[Getting on soap box]

The iPad is definitely NOT going down the tubes. No one has even come close to matching the iPad capabilities.

For example, read Walt Mossberg's review yesterday of the HP TouchPad?:

http://allthingsd.com/20110629/touchpad-needs-more-apps-reboot-to-rival-ipad/?reflink=ATD_ yahoo_ticker

It's pretty clear that in the long run, HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript will rule. ADOBE is working hard to build tools that support it. You can see this already in the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite and in the stuff being developed in Adobe Labs.

Here's a blog posting from Adobe Evangelist Terry White about Adobe's upcoming HTML5 animation tool:

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/archives/8144

I'm not missing Flash at all on my iPad, sorry!

I've also talked with Chris Converse, who is major trainer in Flash, Dreamweaver and InDesign. Although his studio has been doing Flash development for a decade, he said hardly any new projects are being started in Flash. All the new projects are built in HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript.

[Getting off soap box]

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's
                      sclark14 Level 1

Steve, that goes back to my original question about what software should I be learning and using to develop interactive publishing content?  I don't want to spin my wheels using out-of-date technology.  Bob mentioned above that there is nothing available in the market place that offers the rich interactive capabilities of Flash.

Is the best solution to purchase yet ANOTHER piece of Adobe software, Digital Publishing Suite, in order to be able to create interactive documents and content that can be deployed across a wider spectrum of operating systems?   I find it to be very difficult to keep up with all required software needed to create rich web content nowadays.  I had to purchase the eDocker software product, for quite a large price, just to enable zoom within inDesign Interactive documents, a feature I feel should be included with InDesign.  Now, it's looking like I have to purchase yet another Adobe product to keep up with the iOS operating systems, HTML5, etc.  I haven't priced out Digital Publishing Suite yet, but I assume it is not cheap.

For me, the fact that Apple decided not to support Flash has cost me a lot of money, not to mention time required to learn new software as well as research software options.  I suppose that's just how it is, but every time I drop four digits on a piece of new software, I get scared realizing how quickly it will become obsolete.

Anyway...

• 8. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's
                        macinbytes Level 4

Google's new thing is another good one.

http://swiffy.googlelabs.com/

• 9. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's
                          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

sclark14 wrote:

Steve, that goes back to my original question about what software should I be learning and using to develop interactive publishing content?  I don't want to spin my wheels using out-of-date technology.  Bob mentioned above that there is nothing available in the market place that offers the rich interactive capabilities of Flash.

My bet's on HTML5 and CSS, and that's what I'm focusing on, but it's full capabilities are coming. It doesn't yet have all the interactive capabilities of Flash.

I don't see Flash growing. I see it getting closer to the end of its cycle.

• 10. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's
                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Swiffy is Google's version of Wallaby, which is limited to converting timeline based animations (banner ads) into HTML5. Note Goggle recommends that you save back to Flash 5 from the current 11.5, which gives you an idea how far behind the HTML5 canvas is.

It's still very difficult to find HTML5 sites that are on a par with high end Flash sites (see thefwa.com). There are plenty of heavy hitters developing in Flash (at fwa you'll see Nike, Wrangler, Toyota, Mercedes, Adidas, etc). Whether Apple continues to ban Flash player will depend on how quickly Android gains market share particularly when the Molehill player is out of beta.

Message was edited

• 11. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's
                              MWHebert Level 1

I just saw this a few weeks ago and I think this is what you are looking for: Hype by Tumult.

It is on the Mac App store and it does what you seem to need it to do for iPads and the like.

Go to http://tumultco.com/hype/ for more info.

Best,

Mark Hebert

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's

I have an iPad and the lack of Flash is not a deal breaker for me...and I'm about as far from being a fanboy as you can get.

Bob

• 13. Re: Alternative to Interactive SWF's
                                  sclark14 Level 1

Thanks Mark! I'll have to play around with it to see how useful it is.