14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2011 12:40 PM by SarahTrainer

Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7

Akorn240 Level 1

I am receiving the following error after attempting to update Captivate: U44M1P7.

I see that the 5.0.1 patch did not take either. My version is showing as 5.0.0.596.

Can someone help fix this? Thanks...

• 1. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
          RSugelSr

I am having the same issue, although my version does show correctly as 5.0.2.630.  The Adobe Application Manager (Updater) never closes, just sits in the System Tray.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled Captivate 5 with the same results.

Ray

• 2. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
            ReactionAtWork Level 1

On both my Windows XP machines (one XP Home, one XP Pro) the following has happened:

A few days ago, Adobe Update appeared in system tray at startup and informed me that Captivate 5.0.2 update was available.

Installed update, no error messages, just the usual confirmation that the application had been updated.

Next time I started PC, the same happened all over again, as if the update never installed first time.

It may have a happened a third time, I forget.

Now, July 1st 2011, Adobe Update appears in system tray at startup and informs me that a 5.0.2 update is available for 6 applications.... including Captivate, AGAIN!

Waiting with fingers crossed that they haven't messed up the update system for every application in the suite.... :-(

• 3. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
              SarahTrainer

Same issue, and this was my great experience with Adobe about it. No wonder when you search for adobe support in google you only see comments about it being the worst support people have dealt with. Surprising really, considering the cost of their products.

Thank you for choosing Adobe. A representative will be with you shortly. Your estimated wait time is 0 minute(s) and 2 second(s) or longer as there are 1 customer(s) in line ahead of you.

You are now chatting with 'Dinesh'

Dinesh: Hello. Welcome to Adobe Technical Support.

Me: Hello

Dinesh: I have received your query. Please allow me a moment to review the details of your request.

Me: Ok

Dinesh: As I understand that you are able to launch Captivate but unable to run the updates for it, is that correct ?

Me: correct, update fails.

Me: downloads but does not install

Dinesh: Thank you for confirming.

Dinesh: May I know whether you are using trial version or Full version?

Me: elearning suite 2

Dinesh: Thank you for the information.

Dinesh: I will be happy to assist you with this information.

Dinesh: Did you try to install product update by downloading manually and install?

Me: no where is it located?

Dinesh: Let me provide you a web link to download product update manually and install.

Me: k

Dinesh: Please click here to Download product update

Me: downloading

Dinesh: Please download the updates manually,if that does not work,

Dinesh: I will also provide you with support details.

Dinesh: Support is available for your product at www.adobe.com/support .

Dinesh: From here, you can reference a host of archived technical documents which might help you resolve the issue.

Dinesh: You can even post your query on our User to User forums at http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa .

Dinesh: The forums are periodically monitored by Adobe personnel as well as the user community.

Dinesh: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: well lets see if it works, just a sec

Me: failed

Me: all is says is

Me: Adobe Captivate 5 Update Installation failed

Dinesh: Okay. The support for this product version is provided only via link above.

Dinesh: You can search within our knowledge base and forums regarding this issue and I am positive that your issue will be resolved.

Me: ummm how about starting a ticket?

Me: the link on the failure sent me here

Dinesh: I am from the Installation and download chat support team, you will have to check Support Portals and User Forums for further information.

Dinesh: Do you have further questions for me today?

Me: so you are saying sorry you wasted your time by following the link and the website you will have to start all over again cause I have no way to help you and no way to even continue this process to another area?

Me: is that correct?

Dinesh: I truly understand your concern and I wish I could, however, the support for this product version is provided only via link above.

• 4. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
                SarahTrainer Level 1

Wow, yet another Adobe Support let down. I scheduled a call online...and no one ever called.

• 5. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
                  SarahTrainer Level 1

Found this but not sure what he means when he says "repair" since there is no repair option on the install.

http://www.cpguru.com/2011/06/24/adobe-captivate-5-02-update-patch/

• 6. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
                    RSugelSr Level 1

Yes Sarah I saw that also.  Since there wasn't a "Repair" option on the set up screen, I uninstalled and reinstalled Cap 5 thinking that would clear any previous "hot patches" to no avail.  The update icon is still in the system tray (shows up every day), but Captivate is reporting version 5.0.2.630 from Help > About even though the Updater says the update failed with error U44M1P7.  I'm beginning to think there's an issue with the Updater application.

Ray

• 7. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
                      SarahTrainer Level 1

I really want the update due to what it fixes, but do not want to unistall and reinstall and lose all my custom settings.

• 8. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
                        Akorn240 Level 1

Well now Captivate 5 is crashing on startup and NONE of the e-LEarning Suite 2 programs will start.

Regrettably, because e-Learning development is part of my livelihood, I purchased the upgrade to 5.5 this afternoon and it will not start either.

Adobe, I am losing money here

• 9. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
                          SarahTrainer Level 1

So sorry to hear that. It is surprising how far Adobe has sunk. You can make the most amazing products, but if they are not reliable and offer no support...they are no longer viable business options. I will have to start considering other products. I can say for sure I am not buying any updates anytime soon.

• 10. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
                            ReactionAtWork Level 1

I only use Adobe CS5 and TS3 because my company told me I needed to 'standardize'. But standardize on what? Grossly overpriced software that still contains a lot of very crude and old fashioned tools, and fills up a vast bloated area of my hard disk.

Do yourself a favour, and have a look at Cam Studio. After that, download LibreOffice, GIMP, Inkspot, Thunderbird, Firefox and Blender. You can do an awful lot with that lot, and it they won't cost you anything.

• 11. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
                              ReactionAtWork Level 1

August 2011:

Oh no!  Is it happening all over again?  On 20-something August 2011, Adobe Update appears and offers me... an update to Captivate 5.0.2... and then the next time I start the PC a few days later, I'm offered... an update to Captivate 5.0.2!  My version of Captivate is now reportedly 5.0.2.630; I do hope this is finally a 'good' one that doesn't need any more [failed] updates.

• 12. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
                                ReactionAtWork Level 1

Yes, it's true. The next day (26 Aug) I come into work and Adobe Update has appeared AGAIN offering me the 5.0.2 update AGAIN! I let it run, and sure enough, I have still got version 5.0.2.630.  Adobe, you have made a monumental mess of this 5.0.2.630 update. SORT IT OUT!

• 13. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
                                  SarahTrainer Level 1

Adobe's only advice? Uninstall eLearning Suite 2, reinstall (of course backup all of your settings), then try and install update. All that time and I get...drum roll...Adobe Captivate 5.0.2 Update Installation failed. Same as before. Thanks Adobe. I am going to have to start looking at migrating away from Adobe products, they are amazing products...but if something breaks...you are on your own. Not realistic business software anymore, maybe work for hobbyist.

• 14. Re: Captivate 5.0.2 update failing, U44M1P7
                                    SarahTrainer Level 1

I had to uninstall every single Adobe product. Delete all files. Clean out all mentions...even in registry. Then reinstall the eLearning Suite 2. Everything updated correctly.