8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 11:53 PM by ramzirebe

After Effects doesn't save my presets

Pqziee

Hello guys.

So this is the problem : i go into animation presets for save my presets but AE doesn't save it

HELP

(Sorry for my English im French)

• 1. Re: After Effects doesn't save my presets
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Tell us in detail what you're doing and how you're determining that the presets aren't saved.

In general, when asking a question, you need to tell us much more if we're going to help you. Such as...

What version of After Effects? Have you installed the recent updates? What operating system? Has this ever worked before? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Tell us about your computer hardware. And so on.

• 2. Re: After Effects doesn't save my presets
            Pqziee Level 1

Im working on AE CS4. I don't installed recent updates. Windows Vista 32bit. Yesterday it is worked. Two days ago it worked. And today i can't save my presets.

• 3. Re: After Effects doesn't save my presets
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Again: Tell us in detail exactly what you're doing and exactly how you're determining that the presets aren't saved.

• 4. Re: After Effects doesn't save my presets
                Pqziee Level 1

I didn't do anythings before...

When I go into save animation presets, i enter the name of preset and click on save but it didn't save it : no file has been create

• 5. Re: After Effects doesn't save my presets
                  ramzirebe

"What version of After Effects? Have you installed the recent updates? What operating system? Has this ever worked before? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Tell us about your computer hardware. And so on."

hi, it sounds like i have the same problem.

i'm running AE cs4 on windows 7 32bit (sp1). i have a lot of other software, but i'm not sure if you want everything or just what's running in the backround while i'm on AE. no other software is running while i run AE. i do have 3rd party effects. 3gb ram, intel core 2duo 1.5 GHz.

the problem is this. i highlight all the properties i wish to make an animation preset from, click save animation preset, set the save location to desktop (to ensure it isnt an administrative permission conflict), and click save. after that, no preset file is made.

i've never had a problem until now. and none of the above information about my computer has changed.

i believe the thing that could have done it is tampering with PresetEffects.xml file in support files. i made a custom effect with 6 slider controls and used script editor to apply it to a null. when i tried saving it as an animation preset, the above problem happened and i havent been able to fix it.

this was the first time i tampered with the presetEffects file. i made a backup of it before editing it at all. when i encountered the problem, i replaced the edited file with the backup..still not fixed (i resterted AE every time i made a change to the preseteffects file). i then reinstalled AE and made sure the PresetEffects file was back to it's original state. still no fix.

any ideas?

• 6. Re: After Effects doesn't save my presets
                    ramzirebe Level 1

and i just updated after effects, cuz i guess it's about time to do that. and it didnt fix it. also i'd like to add that when meddling with the presetEffects file, i was very careful not to mess with any other entries, and to be very careful that my entries weren't flawed. executing the script to make the custom effect was successful so i'm assuming i did everything correctly inside the xml file.

• 7. Re: After Effects doesn't save my presets
                      ramzirebe Level 1

if you encountered the same problem as i, i fixed it by reinstalling AE, BUT, you must be sure to check "remove application prefferences" before uninstalling. i reinstalled it without checking that and it didnt work. checking the box and unstalling/reinstalling should do the trick.

• 8. Re: After Effects doesn't save my presets
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Don't mess with the presetEffects.xml file unless you know what you're doing.