11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 5:27 AM by Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi]

What is the best way to do this.... (put extracted text in a certain way)

buraeisamer

Hi all inDesigners.. i have a i hope simple question...

Lets say i have a DB with category of ads's for instance Cars..   and we have ca1-add,car2-add and so on.. in the db...

so i want to c what is the best format to export the db so i can import it in in design to look like these attachments below.

the first pic you have the category name i guess this ill do all manually... with the color coding that's all ok but if you notice

basically you have 4 columns , that contain normal ads yellow background ads and banners... so my question is what is the best format to export so i get add1 and then a separator line under add2 and a separator line under.. and so on..

and is there something like this functionality..

any line that begins with the phrase for instance Yellow_add make the add txt frame yellow so it will look like in the attached jpg?

is the idea to make the ads like 160 char limited and do an export for each add 160 char (fill in the blanks) and make in inDesign equal space lines so when i paste the txt it will take the shape like in the jpg's?

thanks.

1.jpg

4.jpg

• 1. Re: What is the best way to do this.... (put extracted text in a certain way)
          Migintosh Level 4

I'll try to help you, but first a personal request:

buraeisamer wrote:

…so i want to c what is the best format…

Are you typing from a phone? I'm not sure what you gain by writing c instead of see, except for saving two keystrokes. I had to stop half-way through that sentence and go back to re-read what you wrote, because in a printing context, c brings cyan to mind, and I wasn't sure what cyan had to do with that sentence. I know that it's 2011, and people don't all use computers with keyboards anymore, but wouldn't it be great if the people in the business of typography didn't lower language to the lowest common denominator?

Anyway, you could just export as a normal text file, and use a four-column text box in InDesign. Or, if you make a four-column guide on your master page, you could auto-flow the text into InDesign, and it will make four narrow text boxes per page, and they will all be linked to each other.

If you want a line separating each ad, you can set either a rule before or a rule after as a paragraph attribute, and as long as each ad is a single paragraph (with no paragraph breaks), you will be good to go. If you need a line break within an ad, you could use shift-return instead of return.

I hope that helps, and that I didn't offend you with my silly little comment.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What is the best way to do this.... (put extracted text in a certain way)
            Migintosh Level 4

Oh, I forgot to tell you about the yellow bits. If you use a 1pt black rule below for the separators, you can use a yellow rule above as the yellow bar behind the type. You can set up several paragraph styles that all have the rule below, and make a separate style for the yellow background for ads that have different numbers of lines of type. When you need a yellow background, just count how many lines the ad has, and apply the appropriate paragraph style. Just set the offset to a negative number to lower the rule above down into the paragraph.

Screen shot 2011-06-30 at 5.26.42 AM.png

• 3. Re: What is the best way to do this.... (put extracted text in a certain way)
              buraeisamer Level 1

Hi

to be very short about you comment concerning the C thing to m ake it a simple because i am a simple guy

yes of course it would heve been esier to say see but being that i am not a antive english speker , and that in my childhood my mother uert to over correct me.. (you sound just like her) i was thining is it see or sea...yes sea is the one you swim in..but c is 100% like have a look why would it be cyan??

so i wanted to cyan what is the best format?? yes...  for me when i am reading i can just jump over missing letters because i use the context that is opposite when you have a professional deformation and you are proof reading everything (i go to my mom for that)

In any case thanks for the help... i got the first part... make a rule : after every line break do a line ok... thanks.. Makes sense..

But this one i don't get...

" If you use a 1pt black rule below for the separators, you can use a yellow rule above as the yellow bar behind the type"

1pt black rule i guess that is the line separator... but : you can use a yellow rule above as the yellow bar behind the type ???

again in continuation i don’t get this : " You can set up several paragraph styles that all have the rule below, and make a separate style for the yellow background for ads that have different numbers of lines of type."

several styles that all have the rule? What styles do you mean yellow background style? And what rule?  is there something like...  if the line begins with

## And ends with ## make all in between have a yellow background? Or what? i need a like a practical example i have seen the pic but i don’t get what you are saying sorry may be my inDesign knowledge is not sufficient

and in the end...

“When you need a yellow background, just count how many lines the ad has, and apply the appropriate paragraph style."

are you serious is this the best way? how can this be done i have a large database and it has like 200 normal white adds and 50 yellow ads do you suggest i count lines? come on

in any case thanks for the help it did shed some light on the first part but the second im still looking for a solution.

• 4. Re: What is the best way to do this.... (put extracted text in a certain way)
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This type of work is really better done with a commercial plugin built for the purpose, but such plugins are not inexpensive. If you are a commercial newspaper of some sort, this should be investigated, otherwise, some sort of manual intervention is going to be required for creating the yellow backgrounds.

If there is a way to identify the ads that require them, a script can probably be written that will do the counting for you and add the correct width of yellow rule (but keep in mind that you CANNOT use this method if an ad breaks across columns), but you will need to run the script after adding the adds to the pages.

• 5. Re: What is the best way to do this.... (put extracted text in a certain way)
                  Migintosh Level 4

buraeisamer wrote:

1pt black rule i guess that is the line separator... but : you can use a yellow rule above as the yellow bar behind the type ???

Yes. The rule below starts at the baseline of the last line of the paragraph. Setting the offset to one inch will lower a rule below down one inch from the baseline of the last line of the paragraph, while an offset setting of negative one inch will raise the rule one inch above the baseline of the last line of text in the paragraph.

A rule above is different. Instead of starting at the baseline of the last line of the paragraph, it starts at the baseline of the first line of the paragraph. Also, if you enter a positive number in the offset field, the line will raise, instead of lowering the way rule below does. Likewise, a negative number will lower the rule from the baseline of the first line of the paragraph.

So, try this:

1. Make a letter-size document with a three-column text frame.
                  2. Fill the frame with placeholder text
                  3. Select all of the text and set it to Times 10-point with 12-point leading and four points of space after.
                  4. With the text selected, make a paragraph style (call it Black 1 and make sure it is applied to all of the text with no local overrides).
                  5. Open the paragraph style and add a one-point black rule below (notice that it sits on the baseline of the last line of each paragraph).
                  6. Change the offset to 4 points (notice how the line lowers and now fits nicely between paragraphs).
                  7. Make a copy of the paragraph style and call it Yellow 3.
                  8. Place the cursor in a three-line paragraph, but don't use the first paragraph of a column, use one in the middle of the page (if you don't have a three-line paragraph, make one)
                  9. Apply Yellow 3 to the three-line paragraph and open the paragraph style.
                  10. Keep the black rule-below, but add a yellow one-point rule above (notice how it sits at the baseline of the top line of the paragraph).
                  11. Change the weight of the yellow line to 37 points (notice that the rule still starts at the baseline of the first line of the paragraph, but now is very tall and covers part of the paragraph above, including the black rule below of the upper paragraph).
                  12. Change the offset to negative 28 points (notice that the yellow rule-above now covers all three lines of the paragraph, from the rule-below the upper paragraph to the rule below of the current paragraph).
                  13. Make a four-line paragraph
                  14. Make a copy of Yellow 3 and call it Yellow 4 and apply it to the four-line paragraph (notice how it only covers the top three lines of the paragraph).
                  15. Change the weight of the rule above from 37 to 49 points, and change the offset from negative 28 to negative 40 points (notice how it now looks like Yellow 3, but covers all four lines).

You can make copies that cover different numbers of lines, but you have to apply them when needed, and as Peter said, it won't work if your paragraphs break across columns. This is one way to do it. You can use it if you like, or you can do it a different way—that's up to you.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: What is the best way to do this.... (put extracted text in a certain way)
                    buraeisamer Level 1

Come onnnn!!!

in one pint i was thinking you are kidding with your explanation!!!

really!

I am very grateful for your long and very detailed explanation and instructions but this is all impossible we are talking about a 300 page add paper 1

2 i have a database and i have a team of programmers that can customize the output as i want of course i guess they can not make it inDesign friendly but as i said

they can program the output when exporting the yellow adds to format it in a certain way, so i am trying to SEE (c) is there a way (for me logically it has to be) to make a rule as i said make the background between ##> and <## ...

it is soo simple !!!  like the programmers will export the Database for me like..

add1

add2

##> add3 <##

add4

And in design should take care of the rest..

Rule 1 , will make it look like

----------

add1

----------

add2

------

and rule 2 (if inDesign was made by smart enough people )

-----

add2

------

Add3
                    these Adobe guys are funny when i write the mesage the table background is yellow but when i post it it will become transparent very nice Adobe

--------

add4adobe.JPG

-------

See for me it is impossible to do it manually or it is like very time consuming... imagine i can ask the programmers to output it(the yellow ads)in any way i want.. What would be the best solution?

• 7. Re: What is the best way to do this.... (put extracted text in a certain way)
                      Migintosh Level 4

buraeisamer wrote:

Come onnnn!!!

in one pint i was thinking you are kidding with your explanation!!!

really!

Really. I made my detailed explanation because you didn't understand how using a paragraph rule could do what you want. Many people use this technique, but if it's not for you, then don't use it. The thing about forums is that they can be searched. If someone else were to find this post in the future and wish to do this kind of work, it is my hope that my explanation will help them, even if it hasn't helped you. As I said in my post, this is one way to do it, but you may do it a different way if you choose. Em Software makes a number of products that will automate this kind of job for you (here is their website: http://emsoftware.com/ ). The software takes a good bit of time to learn, and the cost is between $400 and $1,200 US dollars for a single user (they also have multi-user packs if you work with a team). Keep in mind that I do not work for Em Software or Adobe, so if the cost is objectionable to you, or if you are unhappy that InDesign doesn't work the way you would prefer, please take it up with them.

• 8. Re: What is the best way to do this.... (put extracted text in a certain way)
                        buraeisamer Level 1

Well again thanks i still hope that you don’t know all of inDEsign and that someone will come along with a good answer

Even i can export to xml or... any other way to make the doc output be recognizes in inDEsign and make it color the background.. i hope some Indesing instructor will come along an say yes yes this can be done easily if not... im  really royally.. F

• 9. Re: What is the best way to do this.... (put extracted text in a certain way)
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Being able to add a colored background to a pragraph is a common request, but so far in InDesign without some sort of plugin it IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DO AUTOMATICALLY in running text as part of a style, which is what you are looking for. There are plenty of different free strategies that people use, none of which is perfect, and they probably won't suit you because they require you to do some actual work. Em Software certainly has products they advertise as being useful for creating classified advertising, but I also have never used them, and I don't know if they have some clever method of adding colored backgrounds, so you would need to ask them.

If you really want some help for your programmers to design a custom plugin that can do what you want, if it is possible at all, you should ask over in the SDK forum (http://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign/indesign_sdk) where the developers hang out.

I suggest, too that you adjust your attitude when you get there.

• 10. Re: What is the best way to do this.... (put extracted text in a certain way)
                            Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi] Level 4

I completely agree with Peter!

Or you have to work, or buy a plug-in.

Third solution is maybe through scripting, or writing your own plug-in.

--

Marijan (tomaxxi)

http://tomaxxi.com

• 11. Re: What is the best way to do this.... (put extracted text in a certain way)
                              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I too agree...especially the part about adjusting your attitude.

This is not a simple task and you'll either have to live with the workarounds or start spending some money.

Bob