5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 11:33 PM by gina_farr

Help publishing dependent files?

gina_farr

I've spent two days trying to get CS5 to publish a new site with proper links to css and other dependent files.

It's working locally IN ONE SUBDIRECTORY ONLY, but not at the server level and not in the root folder.  I've tried:

Redoing the Site defn = root folder where all files are stored; then Site>Put

FTP = all dependent files directly to the server

~~~

If someone could check the code on any of my three pages and tell me how to correct the dependent file links, I will owe you my sanity.  Three days of fooling around and I can't fix this. 

http://www.kidsonthecreek.com

http://kidsonthecreek.com/kids_on_the_creek_podcasts.html

http://kidsonthecreek.com/kids_on_the_creek_coalition.html

Looks like the links to the style sheet (et all) are pointing to a local folder outside of my root folder.  I'm sure I would screw it up if I had to rename every reference after publishing -- isn't there an efficient way to do this?

Thank you so much for your help!  (It's an emergency, of course)

Gina

• 1. Re: Help publishing dependent files?
          pziecina Adobe Community Professional

Hi

All the links you mention are pointing to the files on your hard drive, e.g. -

src="file:///Macintosh HD/Users/ginafarr/Documents/CLIENTS/Kids on the Creek/icons/idea-icon-test_RedBkgrd_scheme.jpg">

They should point to the item relative to your dreamweaver site, (you did define your site in dreamweaver?).

An example of the link may be -

src="/icons/idea-icon-test_RedBkgrd_scheme.jpg">

But you will probably have to 'play' with this to get it to work correctly.

PZ

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help publishing dependent files?
            gina_farr Level 1

Thank you, PZ.  I see the links are pointing to my hard drive, but why I don't know.  I defined the site correctly, root pointing to directory where all my files reside including css, etc., but DW won't reorganize the files. 

Do I have to hand code each link?  Deadline is today and I don't trust myself to "play" with this until it works.  Anyone know of someone who can fix for me for a fee?  I could use this kind of help ongoing...

Or just let me know if there's a way to get DW to do it's job -- and thank you!

Gina

• 3. Re: Help publishing dependent files?
              pziecina Adobe Community Professional

Hi

You could use the find and replace function to update the links site wide, but this would still require you to check them all to confirm.

Deadline is today and I don't trust myself to "play" with this until it works.  Anyone know of someone who can fix for me for a fee?  I could use this kind of help ongoing...

Sorry, but I do not do work unless it involves the entire site from start to finish, but you could try asking in the 'Dreamweaver General' section of the forum.

Or just let me know if there's a way to get DW to do it's job -- and thank you!

There is probably a problem with the site definition, but without being able to 'see' your computer fixing this will be a question and answer type of post. Did you follow the instructions in the documentation or a tutorial on the dreamweaver dev site at - http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver.html?

PZ

• 4. Re: Help publishing dependent files?
                gina_farr Level 1

Yes, thanks, it's pretty straightforward to define a site either in a directory where the files reside or to copy all files to the root folder.  This is just crazy, but I'll slog thru.  Thought there may be a way to force Dreamweaver to reorganize the links; and I don't recall that I was asked if I wanted to copy an image to my root folder as I was making changes...

I threw off DW site management system somehow -- or the template files I used did.

Thanks for the assistance PZ... Gina

• 5. Re: Help publishing dependent files?
                  gina_farr Level 1

Last bit of help? 

I've done all I can do, and now I'm stuck with 10% of the links not working.  The background to the slider wrapper and the nav bar are two problems I just can't figure out.

Help is desperately needed -- and appreciated!

Gina

http://www.kidsonthecreek.com