7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 7:28 AM by peter minneapolis

How can i give multiple paragraph styles on the same line

YaneshTyagi

i want to give different paragraph style in the same line in an indesign document. bt when i tried it, it is coming in two different line.

actually i am doing a project in which Frame maker document is transformed into indesign document. in frame maker this is possiable, but in indesign i cannot give different paragraph style in the same line of the document.

Is there any way to do this ????

• 2. Re: How can i give multiple paragraph styles on the same line
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Read about Nested Styles in the help files.

What you are describing is called a run-in paragraph in English, and InDesign doesn't do them directly. If nested styles don't work, I've seen some descriptions of other tricks you can play, but they are very complex -- things like anchored objects or zero leading  with indents -- and you might be able to find something if you google for run-in paragraphs InDesign. Also, if you are really only using one line, consider making a one-row table and put each part of the text in its own cell.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: How can i give multiple paragraph styles on the same line
            YaneshTyagi Level 1

ya , it can b done in dat way. bt here, i am converting Frame maker file into indesign. And there should not be any format change. That is why, i need it in that way.

Thank you for ur reply .

• 4. Re: How can i give multiple paragraph styles on the same line

There is no direct conversion from Framemaker to InDesign.

• 5. Re: How can i give multiple paragraph styles on the same line
                YaneshTyagi Level 1

I am trying to convert MIF format (I have actually written a tool for this) into '.idml', processing the story file. I am able to do that, but format is not proper if multiple paragraph style is there in same line.

I need the similar format as of frame maker document.

• 6. Re: How can i give multiple paragraph styles on the same line

YaneshTyagi wrote:

I am trying to convert MIF format (I have actually written a tool for this) into '.idml', processing the story file. I am able to do that, but format is not proper if multiple paragraph style is there in same line.

I need the similar format as of frame maker document.

Which does not exist in ID. I don't work with XML, but my guess is you'll need to edit that to reflect nested styles or something similar.

• 7. Re: How can i give multiple paragraph styles on the same line
                    peter minneapolis Level 4

YaneshTyagi wrote:

i want to give different paragraph style in the same line in an indesign document. bt when i tried it, it is coming in two different line.

actually i am doing a project in which Frame maker document is transformed into indesign document. in frame maker this is possiable, but in indesign i cannot give different paragraph style in the same line of the document.

Is there any way to do this ????

Hi, Yanesh:

Please understand, the FrameMaker feature known as a run-in paragraph, which is a paragraph with a "carriage return" but without a "line feed," HAS NO COUNTERPART in InDesign. InDesign also lacks the FrameMaker side heading feature, which is created by the combination of a reserved area in the text frame and the paragraph property to inhabit that area. FrameMaker separates paragraphs by using the larger of space below paragraph and space above paragraph, but InDesign separates paragraphs by adding the space below paragraph and the space above paragraph.

There are several complicated manual methods of simulating these FrameMaker properties in InDesign.

Here's a recent forum discussion of these exact issues: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3759635#3759635. The thread mentions DTP Tools' conversion tool, the MIF Filter commercial plug-in for InDesign, and discusses its shortcomings. I don't recall it mentioning in-tools.com plug-ins that can simulate side headings, like those in FrameMaker, but they don't convert FrameMaker to InDesign. 

You can add your vote for InDesign's developers to include these FrameMaker features, and any others you'd like to see, here: wish.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices