3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 12:05 PM by Eugene Tyson

Snippets placed into indesign with caption?

Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am trying to make a catalog of Snippets so I can make a PDF so people could have a copy of what is contained in each snippet.

Thought it would easy enought to place all the Snippets and then use the Caption feature, only on import it dawned on me the Snippet itself doesn't show up as a link!

• 1. Re: Snippets placed into indesign with caption?

The plot thickens - would also need each snippet to create it's own paragraph, character and object folders?

I'm asking a lot

Would really like the snippets to place as flawlessly as possible (styles are getting messed up when I import them manually to a singular indesign file)

Another reason is I want to package up this file so that I have a links folder of all the links used as a backup.

• 2. Re: Snippets placed into indesign with caption?
            John Hawkinson Level 5

While you may be "asking a lot," it's not even clear what you are asking! Are you asking us to write a script for you?

I would like to tell you to just select them all in the Place dialog and drag a box and hit up-arrow and right-arrow while placing to place multiple snippets on the page. Unfortunately, that doesn't work, they all land on top of each other.

Snippets, by their nature, use styles, and they don't rename conflicting styles. So if you have snippets with conflicting styles, you have a problem.

I suspect your shortest path to success is to export each snippet to a PDF file and then place all the PDFs on a page.

Otherwise you would need to place a snippet, rename all styles it added [to avoid conflict], and then place the next one, etc.

this might be annoying.

But all of this is certainly scriptable, if that's the question.

I gather Bridge isn't adequate for this?

• 3. Re: Snippets placed into indesign with caption?

I want a script to place all snippets into pages in an indesign document.

Some way that the styles don't clash.

And for the filename of the snippet to be added as a caption.

I sorta did it with Bridge, it allowed me to make a PDF contact sheet but it's very low res.

I have a heck of a lot snippets and they are growing. And it would be create to be able to catalog these so there's a book of them for other people to choose from.