5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 10:14 AM by pejaka

Change of software - a few questions

Blashyrkh2124

Hello everyone,

So here I am - yet another editor disgusted by the release of Final Cut Pro X - exploring Adobe Premiere Pro.

Now I am really impressed with the looks and feel of Premiere. I use to cut away on Premiere 2.0. From there I picked up Final Cut Pro and never really got back until doomsday - last week. Great to see the work Adobe has put in to the software, they seem to really believe in it. My compliments.

However, I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me answer. If an question was already posted I apologize, but I find the forum to be very chaotic.

What's to know;

I work on a  Mac Pro from early 2009 - 8 core, hyperthreaded machine with 12 GB of DDR3 RAM. I have four monitors of which two are referential and work with the BlackMagic Decklink HD Extreme.

I am also very sexy which might bring confusion to the program I suppose.

Question one:

Coming from Final Cut Pro I am used to the Apple Pro Res workflow and I like it - A LOT. The render quality compared to it's file sizes is amazing. Is there anyway to work with Pro Res in Premiere Pro?

Question two:

I know Premiere Pro to be 64 bits but when I render my cores won't go over 35% usage. How do I get it to render for the full 100%?

Question three:

I work with XDCam EX material. However, if I want my sequense to have playback over the BlackMagic devices I need to work in a BlackMagic codec sequense. I have all the latest drivers and I can work in a Pro Res or XDCam EX codec sequense in Final Cut and it will playback just fine. Now of course, you can say - well the blackmagic timeline seems to be a fine workaround - but then of course I have to render everything I put in there. Quite unnessesary. Is there anyway to set my timeline to an XDCam codec (or Pro Res if question one gets answered positifly )?

Question four:

I notice that whenever I return to Premiere Pro from another program (say via CMD + Tab) it freezes up for some time. Everytime. Frustrating. Is this a common problem? Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Question five:

After I import media (thank God for XML support!) Premiere Pro starts generating Peak Files. I read somewhere that it's supposed to be a background proces so that eachtime I do something in the timeline it stops and gives full core and ram power to where I need it. However, I find that it just keeps going and makes Premiere Pro really unresponsive and slow. Anyway to fix this?

Question six:

Why does Final Cut X suck so badly?

I think that's it for now .

Hope you can answere these questions all positivly... oh - Questions seven: why is there no dictionary functionality in this text editor??

Kind regards,

Wesley Blokker.

PS: If you like check out my work here: http://vimeo.com/eclipseav/videos

• 1. Re: Change of software - a few questions
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Yes, but it is better to use the native codec.

2. Improve your setup. The low CPU usage is indicative that the CPU is waiting for other components to finish, like disks or video.

3. Yes, choose a XDCAM sequence preset.

4. Which version? 5.03 and 5.5 have improved significantly, but then it may be your setup. See #2.

5. No, just wait for it to finish before starting editing.

6. It's Apple.

7. Dunno.

• 2. Re: Change of software - a few questions
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Welcome. Let's go:

Question one:

Coming from Final Cut Pro I am used to the Apple Pro Res workflow and I like it - A LOT. The render quality compared to it's file sizes is amazing. Is there anyway to work with Pro Res in Premiere Pro?

You bet: import it, and edit. Check out this thread: Apple ProRes workflow in premiere pro?

Question two:

I know Premiere Pro to be 64 bits but when I render my cores won't go over 35% usage. How do I get it to render for the full 100%?

What do you mean by "render?" Are you referring to rendering previews? Exporting? A lot of it can be influenced by the source footage, the destination format, the effects you're using, etc. The bottom line is that you won't always get full-tilt boogie rendering, regardless of the app being 64-bit. In fact, if you're working with ProRes, you're actually limited to 32-bitness, since Premiere must use QuickTime for decoding of that format, and QT is only 32-bit. That's more than likely the bottleneck you're encountering.

Question three:

I work with XDCam EX material. However, if I want my sequense to have playback over the BlackMagic devices I need to work in a BlackMagic codec sequense. I have all the latest drivers and I can work in a Pro Res or XDCam EX codec sequense in Final Cut and it will playback just fine. Now of course, you can say - well the blackmagic timeline seems to be a fine workaround - but then of course I have to render everything I put in there. Quite unnessesary. Is there anyway to set my timeline to an XDCam codec (or Pro Res if question one gets answered positifly )?

Don't worry so much about rendering in Premiere Pro; there's no need to the vast majority of the time. Even if you're seeing a red bar, that's only saying that you might need to render to get real-time playback. Most of my sequences have red bars due to the footage and effects I use, and I still get rippin' real-time playback. Naturally, on export, your footage will be rendered, but that's an unavoidable necessity. Ultimately, sequences work a bit differently in PPro than in FCP: you can plunk anything you like into a PPro sequence, and it won't try to render it in the background to conform it to the sequence. Just edit and be happy

Question four:

I notice that whenever I return to Premiere Pro from another program (say via CMD + Tab) it freezes up for some time. Everytime. Frustrating. Is this a common problem? Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

There have been a few reports of this; I can't remember the resolution. You didn't mention: are you using CS5 or CS5.5? If you're using CS5, make sure that you're fully updated to version 5.0.4; go to Help > Updates to check. If you're on CS5.5, the current version is 5.5.0, so there is likely something else that is the cause. I'm a PC user, so I've not followed those reports to closely. Here's one thread which says this is fixed in CS5.5: Adobe Forums: Premiere CS5 post alt-tab freeze

Question five:

After I import media (thank God for XML support!) Premiere Pro starts generating Peak Files. I read somewhere that it's supposed to be a background proces so that eachtime I do something in the timeline it stops and gives full core and ram power to where I need it. However, I find that it just keeps going and makes Premiere Pro really unresponsive and slow. Anyway to fix this?

The generation of PEK files and CFA (conformed audio) files is a point of frustration for most Premiere Pro users. The best bet is to simply let it finish: usually, it won't take that long. After you import your media, go grab some coffee or do some jumping jacks or something else interesting, and let the process finish. Now, if Premiere Pro continues to generate files, there is something wonky with the media database, and it usually means purging the PEK/CFA/etc. files and then cleaning the media cache database. Premiere Pro will have to regenerate the files (yeah, again), but this time, they'll usually stick. I think it can be a little touchy if you continue to try to work during this process, and Premiere Pro can lose track of those files. That's why most of us have griped again and again for this process to change or go away forever and ever.

Question six:

That's a tough one

Questions seven: why is there no dictionary functionality in this text editor??

There is; click the little ABC-checkmark button at the top right corner of the text field.

Again, welcome, and don't hesitate to ask questions to smooth the transition. We're glad you're here

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Change of software - a few questions
              Blashyrkh2124 Level 1

Question one:

Coming from Final Cut Pro  I am used to the Apple Pro Res workflow and I like it - A LOT. The  render quality compared to it's file sizes is amazing. Is there anyway  to work with Pro Res in Premiere Pro?

You bet: import it, and edit. Check out this thread: Apple ProRes workflow in premiere pro?

Okidoki, thanks mate.

Question two:

I know Premiere Pro to be  64 bits but when I render my cores won't go over 35% usage. How do I  get it to render for the full 100%?

What do you mean by "render?" Are you referring to rendering previews? Exporting? A lot of it can be influenced by the source footage, the destination format, the effects you're using, etc. The bottom line is that you won't always get full-tilt boogie rendering, regardless of the app being 64-bit. In fact, if you're working with ProRes, you're actually limited to 32-bitness, since Premiere must use QuickTime for decoding of that format, and QT is only 32-bit. That's more than likely the bottleneck you're encountering.

Well I mean rendering your timeline for smooth previews. My footage is XDCam EX 35mb/s material at 1080p25 and comes of a RAID (e-sata) via a server and ethernet cables. However at the moment I am not working with Pro Res since I didn't know you could. I keep the original source footage and place it in a BlackMagic timeline because otherwise I cannot playback via my BM card.

Question three:

Don't worry so much about rendering in Premiere Pro; there's no need to the vast majority of the time. Even if you're seeing a red bar, that's only saying that you might need to render to get real-time playback. Most of my sequences have red bars due to the footage and effects I use, and I still get rippin' real-time playback. Naturally, on export, your footage will be rendered, but that's an unavoidable necessity. Ultimately, sequences work a bit differently in PPro than in FCP: you can plunk anything you like into a PPro sequence, and it won't try to render it in the background to conform it to the sequence. Just edit and be happy

That doesn't make any sence mate - I have XDCam material right. If I put it in a native sequense, which would be ideal, it won't playback via my BlackMagic monitors. Why is that? The rendering is just another negative aspect of it, but you're right, that don't really matter.

Question four:

There have been a few reports of this; I can't remember the resolution. You didn't mention: are you using CS5 or CS5.5? If you're using CS5, make sure that you're fully updated to version 5.0.4; go to Help > Updates to check. If you're on CS5.5, the current version is 5.5.0, so there is likely something else that is the cause. I'm a PC user, so I've not followed those reports to closely. Here's one thread which says this is fixed in CS5.5: Adobe Forums: Premiere CS5 post alt-tab freeze

Unforutatley I'm running 5.0.4.

Question five:

The generation of PEK files and CFA (conformed audio) files is a point of frustration for most Premiere Pro users. The best bet is to simply let it finish: usually, it won't take that long. After you import your media, go grab some coffee or do some jumping jacks or something else interesting, and let the process finish. Now, if Premiere Pro continues to generate files, there is something wonky with the media database, and it usually means purging the PEK/CFA/etc. files and then cleaning the media cache database. Premiere Pro will have to regenerate the files (yeah, again), but this time, they'll usually stick. I think it can be a little touchy if you continue to try to work during this process, and Premiere Pro can lose track of those files. That's why most of us have griped again and again for this process to change or go away forever and ever.

Roger that. Thanks.

Question six:

That's a tough one

I demand to know!

Questions seven: why is there no dictionary functionality in this text editor??

There is; click the little ABC-checkmark button at the top right corner of the text field.

Aight, thanks

Thanks for your help mate. I hope you can help me solve the BlackMagic problem here and give some more information about the rendering as it's far from optimal.

• 4. Re: Change of software - a few questions
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Well I mean rendering your timeline for smooth previews. My footage is XDCam EX 35mb/s material at 1080p25 and comes of a RAID (e-sata) via a server and ethernet cables. However at the moment I am not working with Pro Res since I didn't know you could. I keep the original source footage and place it in a BlackMagic timeline because otherwise I cannot playback via my BM card.

Whenever possible, you'll want to use the original footage and not your ProRes transcodes; Premiere Pro can natively handle the XDCAM EX footage and it will do so in a 64-bit process. This is much more efficient than using ProRes, since that will necessitate using QuickTime which is only 32-bit. Even on a system without GPU acceleration (not sure if you have a compatible card or not), you should still be getting real-time playback when you drop the XDCAM footage in an appropriate sequence.

Now, to get output to your monitor, as you know, you have to use one of the BM presets. Not having one myself, I don't know how much this will affect real-time playback, but I know there have been complaints in the past. Since you're using a BM preset, you're probably also rendering to their codec; that's a QT codec, and again, it's going to be subject to the 32-bit bottleneck. Check your sequence settings: you might be able to use a different codec, but I don't know how that will jive with output from the BM card.

That doesn't make any sence mate - I have XDCam material right. If I put it in a native sequense, which would be ideal, it won't playback via my BlackMagic monitors. Why is that? The rendering is just another negative aspect of it, but you're right, that don't really matter.

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is--lots of teeth gnashing by FCP switchers that are accustomed to being able to use output from a third-party card regardless of the sequence they use. I guess it's just the way that Premiere Pro is architected: you need to use the third-party manufacturer's customized sequence presets and player modules in order to use the card output. We're all hoping for a better way in CSNext. Be sure to make your voice heard by filing a feature request: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Unforutatley I'm running 5.0.4.

Ah, sorry to hear that. Depending on your tolerance for pain, the upgrade may be worth it

Sorry for not giving answers you probably wanted to hear!

• 5. Re: Change of software - a few questions
                  pejaka Level 1

Question three:

Have you used BlackMagic's own EX sequense? It should bring your video to monitor.BM_EX_seq.jpg