13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 11:46 PM by mrcosmo

contact sheet

cosmogate

Dear all,

I am looking for software which can make me the following:

---one big document of 60x40cm with 500 pictures(all same size) with below the pictures the name of the picture.

custom background and shadow etc would be nice too.

anyone know how to get this ?

is there anything software from adobe where you can make templates and than can run a batch on it ?

i can't programm anything but am a master at photoshop.

i tried contact sheet x and this works but its way too slow

any help is appriciated.

Thx in advance

• 1. Re: contact sheet
          xbytor2 Level 4

If CSX is too slow,  you can try Adobe's Contact Sheet II plugin. It's part of the Optional Plugins pack. You'll need to search the website to find the right one for whatever version of PS you have.

If that's too slow (it probably will be), you'll need to use the Contact Sheet package that comes with Bridge. If that's too slow (maybe) try a tool from another vendor. On Windows, Irfanview

might be a good choice.

• 2. Re: contact sheet
            mrcosmo

Hi x,

Thx for your fast reply i have tried the contact sheet from cs3 and cs5 which i have on a pc with ssd.

This is kinda fast but it has less things you can configur you cant have your own background and you can't do shadows and stuff.

Is there no program of plugin which is easy to make your own template? so you can choose a folder and get a perfect poster?

• 3. Re: contact sheet
              mrcosmo Level 1

Hi x,

Thx for your fast reply i have tried the contact sheet from cs3 and cs5 which i have on a pc with ssd.

This is kinda fast but it has less things you can configur you cant have your own background and you can't do shadows and stuff.

Is there no program of plugin which is easy to make your own template? so you can choose a folder and get a perfect poster?

• 4. Re: contact sheet
                Muppet Mark Level 5

Are you a CS Suite owner and have InDesign too?

• 5. Re: contact sheet
                  cosmogate Level 1

Yes i have indesign also but never tried it i only use dreamwaver and photoshop.

• 6. Re: contact sheet
                    xbytor2 Level 4

I don't know of a another PS-based contact sheet solution with the power/feature set of CSX. If there is one out there, I'll release of rev of CSX to add whatever features from it that I think are needed in CSX.

As far as performance goes, you pay for that power. I just ran CSX over a set of 500 images 60cmX40cm, 300ppi, 25 cols/20 rows. It took about 13 minutes, 1.5 seconds per cell, 0.6 seconds per image. This is not unusual for me. If I didn't have captions enabled, the total time would probably be half that.

One technique to speed things up is to resize the images down to something more managable and then run CSX over the smaller images. For instance, if you have original images that are 2000x3000, you can Image Processor (or something similar) to generate a set of jpgs that are 200x200 in size. CSX runs significantly faster with smaller source images.

• 7. Re: contact sheet
                      cosmogate Level 1

Hello xbytor,

I really love to see the new version with new functionallity when do you think it will be ready??

Also is it for me possible to add a feature so i can rename the picture names the way i want?

I will try this evening a batch with small images(30kb) and time it.

• 8. Re: contact sheet
                        xbytor2 Level 4

The simplest way to do this is to write a script that loops through all of the layers in the non-flattened contact sheet, look for the text layers with the filenames and transform them according to whatever rules you need to apply. Once you get that worked out, there is a way to have that code executed while CSX is processing after the sheet is built and before it is flattened.

• 9. Re: contact sheet
                          cosmogate Level 1

Hi xbytor.

I don't have any knowledge of scripting but i whant to learn how to do this.

I don’t know where to begin, I know what my file names are supposed to be named below the picture.

• 10. Re: contact sheet
                            Michael L Hale Level 5

mrcosmo wrote:

Hi x,

Are you sure you tried Contact Sheet X( CSX )http://ps-scripts.sourceforge.net/ContactSheetX/csx.html and not the Contact Sheet II plug-in that shipped with Photoshop?

CSX does let you have your own background and has many, many other settings.

• 11. Re: contact sheet
                              cosmogate Level 1

Yes and its perfect but i want to add the filenames below the pictures.

This works but I want for example this:

Filename = tes_with_lots_of__test.jpg

And I want with lots of test.jpg

So without the underscores and some other changes.

How can I do this ?

Is this easy ?

Or do I need to add such info in the metatags ?

• 12. Re: contact sheet
                                cosmogate Level 1

Hello xbytor,

Im trying your app for the last couple of days and its just perfect!

The only thing I need is the filename script. Where can I try to script this? Maybe someone could help me with this?

The sheet it self is done and works like a sharm!

Just some quick questions about the sheet

• 13. Re: contact sheet
                                  mrcosmo Level 1

Sorry about my late reaction(vacation time here)

Here are my questions regarding the contact sheet

-----Is it possible to make your own template with masks for example one background and 450 layers where each picture will get in?

----Is it possible to have other shapes than the defaults shadow etc for example hearts frames?

---Is there anyne who can help me script the name of the file below each foto the way i whant?

---Is this my best bet to get the result i need or should i try indesign?(never worked with it)

tx for the product and the effort