4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 12:55 PM by xmlapi

Page numbers issue

xmlapi Level 1

In my document, I got a start cover page and a end cover page. These pages should not have page numbers. The second page of the document should start with the page number #1.

The main master page has page numbers and is applied to page 2 through the second to last page. The start cover and end cover pages have no master page assigned.

I assigned the start cover and end cover it's own section.

When I export the PDF, acrobat shows start cover page and page 2 as both having page #1 in the "page navigation thing" (it doesn't show a page number in the page itself).

• 1. Re: Page numbers issue
          Scott Falkner Level 5

Yes, that makes sense. Is that a problem? If you don’t start a section on the first page of your document it will have a page number of 1. If you want the front cover to have a different page number you must start a section at the cover. You could use different numbering systems, like lowercase Roman numerals, for the cover.

• 2. Re: Page numbers issue
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Every page has a number assigned, whether you use it or not. It may help to change the numbering system to Roman numerals, or alphatbetic characters for the covers (lowercase roman numerals are pretty standard for "front matter" in books).

It sounds, though, like you've left out the inside front and back covers in your document. Even if they are blank, they need to be included as page positions in the layout if the file contains both the cover and the body. Typically, numbering would start AFTER the inside cover, or on the third document page (though this page might not carry a printed number).

• 3. Re: Page numbers issue
              xmlapi Level 1

Thanks for the reply, I created seperate sections: Front cover, start pages, course pages, end pages, back cover. The front and back covers are in their own section and using roman numerals.

The start pages, course pages, end pages are in a new section and all using numbers.

Book contents:

Front Cover page

Start Pages

Course Pages

End Pages

Back Cover page

Now when I export the Book, it shows roman numerals for the front cover AND the start pages. How can this be?

• 4. Re: Page numbers issue
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Check the numbering and section options again for your start pages section. Sounds like you forgot to change back to Arabic numbers...