2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 1:15 PM by jffinn@mac.com

    Data Merge feature in CS4 transposing numbers from Excel

    jffinn@mac.com Level 1

      A coworker provided me with an Excel file from Office 2007 on a PC running Windows XP. I converted the file to a .csv file on a Mac and imported the data into a template using the data merge feature. I ran 13 entries and 2 entries imported the wrong data. The information transposed 2 numbers in the same column when I ran all 13 entries at one time. But, when I run the data feature as individual entries or in batches of 10, and the information runs correctly. I opened the Excel file on the Mac side running OSX.5.8 and (I am using Office 2008 on Mac.) and resaved the Excel fle on the Mac. I am running InDesign CS4 (6.0.3).

       

      I saw an question from July 2009 with a solution about saving the file as a .CSV in a plan text editor, looking for odd characters and deleting them, then resaving as plain text.

       

      Has there been an updated solution to this problem? Was it a bug that Adobe fixed?

       

      Thank you

        • 1. Re: Data Merge feature in CS4 transposing numbers from Excel
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

          The current version of CS4 is 6.0.6. There were some bugs in Data Merge in CS4, but whether updating will solve your particular problem is something I can't answer. I've seen data files that worked flawlessly in CS3 and failed in CS4, and continued to fail after applying patches that were supposed to fix things, but other files have worked just fine.

          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Data Merge feature in CS4 transposing numbers from Excel
            jffinn@mac.com Level 1

            Hi Peter,

            Thanks for answeing my question. I didn't see any odd characters in the Excel file when I converted the csv file to a txt file. I deleted every row except for the header row, one normally functioning row and the problematic row. I upgraded the software to the latest version and ran a test batch of 13 entries with a separate file.

            Will continue to test to isolate if it was an InDesign/Excel issue or just a fluke.

             

            Thank you,

            Jonathan