3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 10:53 AM by Steve Werner

Offset printing- should I be concerned

sealbritton Level 1

I'm printing a magazine and exporting it as press quality. When I do so, it says I have overset text on so and so pages. Now does this mean the printer from the place I am printing it on will not print the text that lies outside of the margins? Or what?

Is there a way around this. For example, could I convert it to a jpeg and bring it in to indesign and place it in it's position. I guess I'm thinking a printer does graphics on the page and then it goes back over it and applies the text parts. I don't understand how it is capable of printing the graphics but not the text that lies outside of the margin, if in fact that is how it works. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

• 1. Re: Offset printing- should I be concerned
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For offset printing, you should be very concerned about fixing overset text.

What you see on the page with Preview mode is how it will print. If you don't see the text (and you won't see the hidden overset text), and it will not be part of your publication!

Use the Preflight panel to find and fix your overset text. If it's just a line not showing up, expand the text frame. Otherwise, you may have to change the size of the text or change your layout.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Offset printing- should I be concerned
            sealbritton Level 1

Thanks for the help. I just found out that over set text means there is more text in the box than the box shows.

I guess what I meant to ask is if i have say a page number that is outside of the margin, will it print? In the magazines I see, there are tex really close to the documents boarders. Is it just that there is a chance the printer could mess up and cut that part of the page off. Or is that something I should really concern myself with.

• 3. Re: Offset printing- should I be concerned
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should always ask your printer about some production information. These include: (1) If I have artwork which touches the edge of the page, how much bleed should I create (how much should it go outside the trim size). (2) How close to the edge of the trim can I place objects like page number frames. (In printer language that's called the Bleed/Trim Hazard. (3) How should I send you the file? As application files or as PDF files. If PDF, which PDF preset should I use to create the PDF file.