9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 4:54 PM by Murcuseo1

Help with transitioning an Overlay

Murcuseo1

Hey,

I'm looking to transition a custom Overlay panel from the bottom edge on the video upwards so that it looks like it's sliding in from the edge. I have been trying to do this with transitions, but there is no 'slide up/down' transitions.

Can anyone help me or give me a work around?.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Help with transitioning an Overlay
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I really thought that PrE had Diagonal Wipes (checked in PrE 4.0, so they might have been added in later versions?), but could not find one. A Wipe is different than a Push, or Pull, but there are similarities.

If there is no Diagonal Wipe one might have to go to a 3rd party source, like New BlueFX, or Pixel's Spice, or ProDAD's Adorage.

The process would be to place Clip A on the Timeline, with Clip B (your custom panel) right next to it, and then apply the correct Diagonal Wipe between the two.

One could also build such, perhaps using a combo of Track Matte Keying and also the Fixed Effect>Motion Position. Here, Clip A would be on Video Track A, and Clip B (the custom panel) on Video Track 2, with an overlap for the Duration of the Transition. One would then need to animate the Track Matte with Position Keyframes, and if the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position (for the Push) is used, one would match the Keyframes up perfectly.

Back in Pinnacle Studio, there were various such Effects in the Hollywood FX packages. Some were pure Wipes, and some were Pushes, or Pulls. Pinnacle/AVID seems to have dropped Hollywood FX, but they could be available from another vendor. [Edit] It does appear that Pinnacle still lists Hollywood FX, but the page could be old now. There used to be a way to convert Hollywood FX for use in PrPro, but that capability ceased with about PrPro CS4. I don't know if anyone ever figured out a way to use them in PrE?

Maybe others have a known source for either the Push/Pull Transitions, or second best, a Diagonal Wipe.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Help with transitioning an Overlay
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I would also post to the Muvipix Community/Forum, and ask there too. There might be some neat Transitions, that I just do not know of, and a lot of users there rely on many Transitions.

With but a few exceptions, I do not use any except the Butt-Cut, Cross-Dissolve and Dip-to-Black. I think that I have used maybe 4 others in the last 5 years.

Good luck, and if you find some sources for great Transitions, please share those in this thread, as others can benefit.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Help with transitioning an Overlay
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In Adobe Classroom in a Book Premiere Elements 8, Adobe Press, in Lesson 7 - Transitions, mention is made of the Push Transition. However, in that example, the juncture of the two Clips is vertical, and not diagonal, as you requested. So, it does appear that Push was added, at least with PrE 8, and there maybe several, with perhaps a Diagonal Push? Here is a LINK to that lesson.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Help with transitioning an Overlay
                Murcuseo1 Level 1

Thanks very much for all your help. I'll look in to each thing suggested and hopefully I'll find something I can use.

• 5. Re: Help with transitioning an Overlay
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the section on the Push Transition from Adobe Classroom in a Book Premiere Elements 9. Looks like there are a couple of changes, regarding setting up the Transitions, so this might be useful.

What version of PrE do you have?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Help with transitioning an Overlay
                    Murcuseo1 Level 1

I have PrE 8.

• 7. Re: Help with transitioning an Overlay
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you. Glad that I found the CiaB PrE 8 article first!

I found some tutorials on Push Transitions, but they ALL were for a Vertical Push, and work would have to be done to modify that to a Diagonal Push.

IIRC (we ARE talking years ago), there were several Push/Pull Transitions in the Hollywood FX sets (had them all up through Studio 10, though almost never used them), and I thought that there were various options with different diagonals, and even some "saw edges." Still, I have never read of anyone converting the Hollywood FX Transitions to PrE, but the old "conversion" trick, with basically renaming the Hollywood FX file extensions might also work?  For several years, that DID work in PrPro. As I never used my old Hollywood FX Transitions in PrPro, I cannot comment on any limitations, or problems, but others reported success.

Earlier, I linked to Pixelan's Spice. It is a great plug-in, and allows one so much customization, that the options are virtually endless. The support from Pixelan is about as good as it gets too. Cannot speak highly enough of that aspect. Besides Transitions, the Spice elements can be used as Effects too.

Good luck, and please post of your success, as that will likely help others in the future.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Help with transitioning an Overlay
                        Murcuseo1 Level 1

I actually managed to get it sorted without using transitions. It was a lot more work but it looks great and once I refined the technique, it wasn't difficult to repeat.

I achieved it by zooming in fully on the timeline and setting single frames, 8 duplicated in total. Each frame was then positioned in the 'Motion' tab and then blended together. All I had to do was set the initial 8 frames to slide the panel out, then reverse them to slide it back in.

It doesn't look jittery of clunky so it's exactly what I was hoping for.

Here's the result: http://youtu.be/qVyfWb2BPHY

Many thanks for the help, I'll try and look for an easier solution but I can work with this for now.

• 9. Re: Help with transitioning an Overlay
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the link and the details.

Good luck,

Hunt