7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 7:35 AM by Peter Spier

CS3 - data merge and creating a catalog

JackWNichols Level 1

Hi,

I know this might be a long shot but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for doing the following...without having to do it manually!

I am trying to come up with an automated way of creating a catalog of the books we publish. I have gotten data merge to work (somewhat) but my problem is not every book entry is the same (some have forewords, some have 'editons' - while others don't) so my question is, if there isn't an entry is there a way for the data merge to get rid of this and close the space? Or would it just not put anything there, leaving a gap?

On a side-note I have managed to get some entries to work in the data merge, the information is in the right place, right format etc. but for some reason, the first entry in the spreadsheet gets screwed up and some of the information is lost to the next placeholder frame. As far as I can tell everything is the same in that row as with the other rows but won't line up and it's making me angry haha.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jack

• 1. Re: CS3 - data merge and creating a catalog
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Data Merge can "remove blank lines," but in order to be blank they must have nothing in them but fileds that had null values in the data file. A line with punctuation or whitespace is not blank.

That doesn't mean you cant get rid of "sort of blank" lines after the merge, though. You just need to use carefully designed Find/Change Queries to locate the text on the lines and repalce with nothing.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS3 - data merge and creating a catalog
            John Hawkinson Level 5

Can you post a sample? Are you using comma-seperated or tab-seperated files? Do you have any special characters involved?

• 3. Re: CS3 - data merge and creating a catalog
              JackWNichols Level 1

Ok so I am using the comma-seperated excel file. As far as I know there are no special characters...

Here is the first two entries in my spreadsheet data;

Edition StatementTitleSubtitleBy (author)Edited and translated byEdited byIllustrated byForeword byShort DescriptionRetailProduct FormNumber Of PagesWidthHeightIllustration NoteEan@Image
              2012: A Clarion CallYour Soul’s Purpose in Conscious EvolutionNicolya ChristiA step-by-step guide to creating a global shift in   consciousness as human beings enter the transition into 5th-dimensional   beings of light.
              A beautiful offering to all consciously evolving humans.
              16Quality Paperback [P]24069978-1-59143-129-9:TwClCa.tif
              Advanced Thai Yoga MassagePostures and Energy Pathways for HealingKam Thye ChowThis book presents 50 advanced Thai yoga postures as well as treatment   plans for 8 common ailments including back pain, headaches, and anxiety. Each   treatment plan includes a one-hour Thai yoga routine and practices for   continued healing.24.95Quality Paperback [P]2328.511Includes 8-page color insert and 117 b&w illustrations978-1-59477-427-0

:AdThYo.tif

Here are three screenshots of my document, after the data merge, you will notice that the first two are the same entry but all screwed up and the third screen is the second entry which works perfectly...any ideas why?

Snapshot 2011-07-01 08-46-20.png

Snapshot 2011-07-01 08-46-39.png

Snapshot 2011-07-01 08-46-59.png

Also I don't know if these images are going to work, fingers crossed but hopefully you can help me out!

Jack

• 4. Re: CS3 - data merge and creating a catalog

Images are not working, but I have seen in my own data merge projects cases where very long text stings in a field (tab delimited text, though, if I remember) did not work well. My memory, though, is that they were truncating in the data file export, not scrambling.

• 5. Re: CS3 - data merge and creating a catalog
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Also, I would be suspicious of file names with leading colons. Unless

that magically means The Desktop and actually works for you?

It looks like your images failed because they are actually TIFF files,

despite being named .png? How did you do that?

• 6. Re: CS3 - data merge and creating a catalog
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

ok, images:

'20:

s08-46-20.png

'39:

s 08-46-59.png

59:s08-46-39.png

Edit: sigh, let's upload with different file names.

• 7. Re: CS3 - data merge and creating a catalog

The first appears not to have picked up some fields, the second looks (probably) correct to me, and the third looks very messed up, but hard to say since we can't see the listing, and of course we don't have the text file to examine, either, so it's hard to tell.