2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 8:17 AM by cc12565

what happened to cascading windows?

cc12565 Level 1

I just installed the CS5 trial, having used CS3 for several years (CS4 was too unstable so I skipped it). I can't figure out how to cascade images and get rid of this tabbed interface, which I find horrible. I do not want tiled images, either. I read in another forum that PS has an option to "float" image windows but there is no such thing in Fireworks. Please tell me I'm not out of luck on this and cascading windows is still possible.

• 1. Re: what happened to cascading windows?
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

I think you've found a bug. The choice to Cascade the windows still appears in the Windows menu, but doesn't appear to do anything. You can report it here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 2. Re: what happened to cascading windows?
            cc12565 Level 1

The issue seems to be much deeper than simply the Window/Cascade menu option. The whole UI is stuck in this tabbed interface, which I find largely unusable. They made it extremely difficult to get out of it, too.

I can't work in a tabbed interface. I use as many as 10 document windows open simultaneously, usually some tiled (keeping 2 or 3 always visible) while others are cascading and may be only partly visible. Tiling this many documents within a single tabbed window is horrible, as there is no control over the size or shape of individual documents. If I manage to create multiple document windows I can't arrange them on the screen the way I want. CS5 keeps "helping" by guessing where I want them and there is no apparent way to stop it auto-arranging and maximizing windows again. This just sucks. I can't believe I'm the only person who works this way. CS3 is so beautifully obedient. CS5 is a nightmare--or is there actually a way to make it behave like CS3 that I have not yet been able to figure out?

This UI design was apparently intentional, as was abandoning a NATIVE menubar. This is not progress, except perhaps for the Adobe developers, as I'll bet this UI is easier for them to maintain. Regardless, I reported it as a bug but don't expect anything to come of it. :-(