11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 7:05 PM by the_wine_snob

resizing frames

Cooliepops

I have my project all put together but the pictures, which overlap some of the video, are not the same frame size as the video. In premiere pro 7 I never had this problem. Do I now have to go back in and resize all my pics or is there a way to crop everything to fit the video size?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: resizing frames
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, what are the Frame Size specs. for your Project, and then what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the still images?

Next, how are the stills being used - as full-Frame Clips, PiP, or something else?

If you want the stills to fill the Frame, you can use the Scale to Default Frame Size to Scale them up, or down, to match.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: resizing frames
            Cooliepops Level 1

Hi and thanks for the welcome. The video is 720x480 and the pics are all different sizes.

As far as how the stills are being used, I'm not sure what you mean by that. I'm simply dragging them in to the timeline?

I do have scale to default frame size checked on as well.

• 3. Re: resizing frames
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, they are being used as Clips then. That clears things up nicely.

The Scale to Default Frame Size will handle the horizontal images, albeit at a slight loss in quality. This ARTICLE will give you some other workflows, to maintain the greatest quality.

If you have any images, that are vertical (portrait orientation), or are not sized to a matching Aspect Ratio, thern one has several approaches at their disposal. One can leave black bars, where the Aspect Ratio does not match, or can Scale and then effectively crop parts of the image, when there is an Aspect Ratio mis-match, or, they can use a treatment, such as the one outlined in this ARTICLE.

Hope that something helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: resizing frames
                Cooliepops Level 1

Okay so if I'm understanding that correctly, I will need to go back and scale and crop each individual image (within Elements) to fit the video?

• 5. Re: resizing frames
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the Scaling algorithms are better in PS, than in PrE, but if you are not too far off, the audience will likely not notice the difference.

Have you tried the Scale to Default Frame Size in PrE yet? [Edit] In Premiere Elements it is "Scale to Frame Size." What I listed was the syntax from PrPro, but is close. For the Clips (Still Images), Rt-click and choose "Scale to Frame." How does that work.

How did that look?

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: resizing frames
                    Cooliepops Level 1

Hey thanks for all the help Bill. I finally had some time to mess with it and I think it's just easier for me to go back into PS and crop and resize the pics (maybe 25 of them so not so bad)  to fit the video frame.

Thanks again, I know where to come now for helpful advice!

• 7. Re: resizing frames
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Even with a bunch of Still Images, I still will address each one, when it comes to Cropping, and especially Color and Density correction. When that part is done, I will "automate" the Scaling, but still "touch" each image before doing so.

Good luck, and hope that all works perfectly for you.

Hunt

• 8. Re: resizing frames
                        Cooliepops Level 1

One last question Bill, is there a way to remove something similar to a watermark with PE? In PS I would just use the clone stamp tool to get rid of anything unwanted..

• 9. Re: resizing frames
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The closest thing to the PS Clone Stamp Tool, is the Clone Tool in AfterEffects.

As good as it gets in PrE, or even PrPro, will be to Scale and Crop, or create an overlay Title, that covers that area.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: resizing frames
                            Cooliepops Level 1

So could I make the overlay title a snapshot of some background that I could use to cover up the mark? I don't know how to crop video in PE.

• 11. Re: resizing frames
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, so long as the background does not change. When it does, then you will need to create a new overlay Title for that, and so on, and so on.

Good luck,

Hunt