13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2011 11:03 PM by Jon Chappell

Codec help.

Riley1226

Hey guys.

I was recently asked to upload a video for a client

and they requested it be a .mov with an apple prores 4:2:2 HQ codec.

How should I go about exporting my video?

I noticed there is an option for YUV 10 bit 4:2:2

But i really don't know what that is.

any comments or suggestions?!!

• 1. Re: Codec help.
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Are you on a PC? If so, ProRes is not an option--you need a Mac for that. You can decode ProRes on a PC, so long as you have QuickTime installed, but you cannot encode it; Apple hasn't (or won't) released encoders for Windows.

Comparable to ProRes would be Avid DNxHD. It's free, cross-platform, and it works with Premiere Pro. Of course, your client will need to download and install the codecs to play the file back, but that's a simple matter.

Beyond that, you're looking at uncompressed codecs or other less-compressed variants that are included by default in the standard QuickTime installation. I'm guessing your client is on a Mac since they requested ProRes; QuickTime will be your safest bet as a format, and you might just have to experiment with different codecs to find an acceptable size-to-quality ratio. Uncompressed, as the name would suggest, will result in very large files that may be too ungainly to upload, depending on the file duration. PhotoJPEG, MJPEG, or maybe even DVCPRO HD (which will work if they have FCP installed) would be options.

• 2. Re: Codec help.
            Riley1226 Level 1

Hey Collin thanks a lot for responding.

I actually figured some things out.

1. I am using a mac.

But i only use premiere and do not have a copy any version of FCP on my machine.

but I learned that if i download FCP, i will have the apple prores codec to use in premiere when i export.

so. i will just do that.

thanks again.

jeff.

• 3. Re: Codec help.
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              but I learned that if i download FCP, i will have the apple prores codec to use in premiere when i export.

so. i will just do that.

AFAIK, you can't just download FCP without purchasing it; if that's the case, you better get out the credit card

I'm not entirely positive: you MAY be able to encode to ProRes without FCP. Does it not appear in the list of available QuickTime codecs?

EDIT: I'll answer my own question here: you do need to have FCP installed for ProRes to be an encoding option. Carry on...

• 4. Re: Codec help.
                wonderspark Level 1

You might try downloading MPEG Streamclip first. I'm on a Mac, and it allows me to choose ProRes 422 exports in any flavor... HQ, LT, and so on. I happen to have FCP X installed, also, but maybe it will work without FCP.  Give it a try... it's free.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

• 5. Re: Codec help.
                  Riley1226 Level 1

Ok. So I now have FCP X on my machine.

However still no dice.

any other suggestions?

I tried that link and it doesn't give me those options.

haha.

• 6. Re: Codec help.
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

I hate to ask the obvious, but you're selecting QuickTime as the format in the Export Setting window, right?

• 7. Re: Codec help.
                      Riley1226 Level 1

Oh yeah. absolutely

• 8. Re: Codec help.
                        Riley1226 Level 1

Hey. first off. thanks for taking the time to reply to help a fellow editor/adobe user out.

I have finally cracked the case.

I put FCP 7 on my machine.

So now I have both FCP 7 and FCP X on my machine.

However, it was not until I put FCP 7 on my machine that I was able to go into my export settings and choose Apple prores 422

So. If anyone asks or comes across this thread.

here is the answer.

You must have FCP 7 on your machine to utilize Prores as an export codec in Premiere Pro CS5

thanks a lot guys.

• 9. Re: Codec help.
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Wow, one more reason to love FCP X! It would seem that Apple has locked up ProRes when you install FCP X, so you can only use it there!

Glad you're up and running; lots of trouble to go through just to encode a file, eh?

• 10. Re: Codec help.
                            Jon Chappell Level 3

The codecs are not included in the FCPX download. You need to run Software Update after installing FCPX to get them.

• 11. Re: Codec help.
                              Riley1226 Level 1

Collin.  You are not joking.  Since I have spent all my free time trying to figure this out. I have lost valuable time I could have spent on other more important projects to me. 

sigh.

Jon. When I downloaded FCPX I had all the prores codec options in my export settings in FCP X

I tested it as soon as I downloaded it to my machine. 

• 12. Re: Codec help.
                                Jon Chappell Level 3

Have you tried checking Software Update? I got the option to download the codecs, as did everyone else I know who installed FCPX.

• 13. Re: Codec help.
                                  Jon Chappell Level 3

I looked into it some more and you can definitely use the codecs with other QuickTime applications but you need to install them separately. You can do this through Software Update or this link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396

(note that it says you can install it on OS X 10.5.6 which presumably means you can install them separately from FCPX, which is not supported on Leopard. I haven't tested this though.)