2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 9:25 AM by Jim_Simon

What is best practice for multi camera edit with differing lengths?

TedOz

I have three cameras that took video of an engagement party. Camera A and B took it all (with some early extra material exclusive to each camera). Camera C took some, then stopped, then took more.

So I have four sets of clips - A and B which are complete, then C then D.

Should I create sequence 1 with A, B and C synchonised, then create sequence 2 with A, B and D synchronised, then sequence 3 with sundry early non-multi camera clips, plus sequence 1 plus sequence 2 then late non-multi camera clips?

Or can I synchronise A, B and C, then on the same timeline synchronise A, B and D? I'm concerned that the second synchronisation will put C out of sync.

What is the best way to approach this?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: What is best practice for multi camera edit with differing lengths?
          shooternz Level 6

Synchronise all the 4 videos and dont worry about the fact they are uneven durations

You can only use a shot when it fits if you really need them to be synchronised.

If you havent got the shot in synch...obviously it wont be available to insert edit.

• 2. Re: What is best practice for multi camera edit with differing lengths?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            A and B which are complete, then C then D.

I think you're looking at this in the wrong way.  You have only three cameras, A, B and C, but you don't really have a D camera, as those are just other clips from camera C.  You might call them C1 and C2 if you like, but calling them D seems to be confusing the issue, as it's still only three cameras, and three shots to choose from when cutting the sequence.  (Except for the gap between C clips, where you will have only the A and B shots to choose.)

You can absolutely sync all the clips form camera C on the same sequence as A and B.  And it will probably be easier to do so.