3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 11:05 PM by camillereynders RSS

Very slow when selecting objects

camillereynders Community Member

I have a problem with illustrator CS5. Whenever I select an object on the canvas by clicking on said object Illustrator freezes for a few seconds (showing me the spinner). This happens whether there is 1 object or 50 on the canvas so it certainly has nothing to do with the number of objects. Oddly, if I click on the canvas and drag-and-select objects this does not happen; they are selected immediately. Of course most of the times I forget this and have to wait constantly because I accidently selected an object directly, which is extremely annoying and almost to the point of unworkable.

Anybody got any ideas about how to solve this?

Sys specs:

MacBook Pro

Mac OS X 10.6.7

2.66Ghz Intel Core i7

8GB 1067 MHz DDR3

• 1. Re: Very slow when selecting objects
          Mike Gondek2 CommunityMVP

Many reasons, to help narrow it down create a new document draw one lement and let us know if you have a slowdown.

Reset your preferences.

Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Shift when restarting AI on a Mac or Alt-Crtl-Shift on a PC to reset to the defaults.

Flush Cache (Good for slowdown)

delete users\(username)\library\preferences\com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist

FONTS

Fo you have alot of fonts loaded. You may have a corrupt font. Close any you do nto use often

Permissions

Run applications >> utilities >> disk utility and repair permissions.

Ram

Run applications >> utilities >> system profiler and check the status of your ram and hard drive

HUH Error

If the test you did in the beginining returned your computer to a speedy apce, search the forums for HUH error.

OnyX

Download onyx from apples site for your OS version and do the cleaning tab.

• 2. Re: Very slow when selecting objects
            OzPritchA

Mike,

Thanks for all the work you put into replying to the OP... I know it was a while back.

However I worked all the way through your list to no avail... then found another thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3728652) recommending to uninstall RightZoom. This fixed it straight away

Thanks again.

OzPritchA

• 3. Re: Very slow when selecting objects
              camillereynders Community Member

@OzPritchA

May the gods have mercy on you and your descendants. Finally. Thank you, thank you, thank you!