4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2011 6:11 AM by Napo Monasterio

Placing multiple images at once

Napo Monasterio

I've been trying to programmatically import multiple images into InDesign, but I'm having a small issue. From what I understand, a multiple selection returns an array, but the script is acting up on me. Here's what I've got so far:

var slideshowImages = File.openDialog("Choose the images you want incuded", "Files:*.jpg", true);

if((slideshowImages != "")&&(slideshowImages != null)){

var slideshowItems = tabletSlideshow.pages.item(0).place(slideshowImages);   <==== This is where I get the "Invalid value for parameter 'fileName' of method 'place' ....... " error.

slideshowItems = slideshowItems[0];

I can place one, but not multiple. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Placing multiple images at once
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

It's easier than you think. The function File.openDialog already returns an array of file names! So this is why your failing line fails; you are handing it the entire array of file names instead of just one. You are doing the opposite; you attempt to place the entire array and treat the return value of "place" as the array.

Use this to place the first image:

var slideshowItem_first = tabletSlideshow.pages.item(0).place(slideshowImages[0]);

• 2. Re: Placing multiple images at once
            Napo Monasterio Level 1

Hey Jongware, thanks for the prompt reply!

OK, this works now... I'm about to place an image, no problem. The issue is... I'm only about to place one.

I added

var slideshowItem_second = tabletSlideshow.pages.item(0).place(slideshowImages[1]);

to place the second item in the array... but what if I want to enter 3, or 12, or 27? It might change from time to time. So, how to do I tell it to place all of them?

Thanks!

N

• 3. Re: Placing multiple images at once
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

The usual way. Use slideshowImages.length to get the number of images; then, you can loop over all images and place each one of them:

for (i=0; i<slideshowImages.length; i++)
                tabletSlideshow.pages.item(0).place(slideshowImages[i]);

-- although you need to think of a way to place each of the images on a page of their own, 'cause this loop will place them on top of each other on the first page.

• 4. Re: Placing multiple images at once
                Napo Monasterio Level 1

Hey, perfect, thanks so much! Yeah, I'm pretty new at JS scripting, so I appreciate all the guidance!

I don't have to put them on separate pages, but I do have to manipulate them (all the same, fortunately). If so, to do anything to them, I guess I would be doing something such as:

for (i=0; i<slideshowImages.length; i++)

tabletSlideshow.pages.item(0).items(slideshowImages[i])).geometricBounds = ["yadayada"];

Or is items() the wrong approach to it?

Thanks again for all the help! Very thankful!

N