9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2011 8:16 AM by thisisJules75

PE9 - Flickering DVD Menu

thisisJules75 Level 1

I'm putting the final touches to my current project with a DVD menu.  However, I am experiencing an issue where the main title menu suffers from flickering.  I have tried a number of templates, SD and HD, with or without inserted media, but the problem persits.  The issue does not occur with either the DVD preview in PE9, nor if I create a FLV web DVD.  If I burn a DVD and play it either on a computer or a normal DVD player the problem is there.

Interestingly, I used to have the problem on all DVD menus, but when I changed the scene menus to show a still frame rather than a moving clip, the problem went away.  However, even without inserted media, the flickering remains on the main menu.  I can't see to find any menu options to make modifications to the DVD menus.

All source media is 1440 x 1080 i x 25fps and the DVD export is standard WS PAL.  The movie itself plays fine and there are no issues with the video quality or using the DVD markers.

Any ideas?  At the moment I have just set the project to auto-play and not use a menu, but I'd like to resolve the issue if I can.

TIA

• 1. Re: PE9 - Flickering DVD Menu
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What is the custom background image for your menu page? (You are saying that only the menu page is flickering, right? Not teh whole DVD video.)

Is it a still photo? If so, what size is it (measured in pixels)?

If it is a video, what format is the video or where did it come from?

Finally,you say you're producing a DVD, right? Not a BluRay?

What project settings did you use when you set up your Premiere Elements project?

• 2. Re: PE9 - Flickering DVD Menu
            thisisJules75 Level 1

Hey Steve

Thanks, here are my answers to your questions:

What is the custom background  image for your menu page? (You are saying that only the menu page is  flickering, right? Not teh whole DVD video.)

It's not a custom background image, I am using one of the supplied templates.  The only customisation is the insertion of media (pic / movie / audio) into the menu where the supplied template allows.  I have tried still, video, and nothing but result remains the same.  With the still image I even used PS CS5 to set the correct image size and PAR for PAL.

Is it a still photo? If so, what size is it (measured in pixels)?

See previous answer.

If it is a video, what format is the video or where did it come from?

the video is shot on a Sony HDR tape camera in 1440 x 1080i resolution.

Finally,you say you're producing a DVD, right? Not a BluRay?

Correct.  I will use the HD video to export for viewing on a PS3 and the DVD for viewing elsewhere.

What project settings did you use when you set up your Premiere Elements project?

Project settings were set as per source video settings i.e PAL 1440 x 1080i x 25fps.

What I might try which I have just thought of is the export the video sequence as PAL WS files and then import into a new project with the relevant settings to see if that makes any difference.  i.e.  I should end up with a project that is exclusively made up of DVD resolution content that I can use for making DVDs.

• 3. Re: PE9 - Flickering DVD Menu
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you're doing the right things, Jules.

But try this, since you're outputting a DVD rather than a hi-def BluRay:

1) Use Share/Computer/AVI (PAL DV preset) to output your video as a DV-AVI.

2) Open a new project set up for DV Widescreen video.

3) Use Get Media/From Files and Folders to bring this AVI into your project and place the video on the timeline.

4) Place your timeline markers and again output your DVD, except from this project.

The flickering may be caused by the DVD authoring system being set up for lower field first video or from the program down-rezzing on the fly from a hi-def project.

With this workaround, your final output to DVD will be standard def AVI, so your output to disc should go much more smoothly (and 3 to 4 times faster!).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PE9 - Flickering DVD Menu
                thisisJules75 Level 1

Cheers, that is exactly what I'm doing now.  I'll let you know!

• 5. Re: PE9 - Flickering DVD Menu
                  thisisJules75 Level 1

OK, this continues to be tricky.  Firstly I had to find some standard DV settings that would work.  I eventually set the output to Upper Field and I managed to get a good quality DV output.  I created a new project (using DV PAL WS) and imported the new file fine.  I used one of the menu templates, and without adding in any media to the menu, I exported to DVD and all was fine.

However, if I had in any media to the menu I get the same problem.  As with my original problem I've tried all sorts of correctly formated media but I get the same problem - flicky menu, main play back fine.

I've exported media in so many different formats and configurations now I'm about ready to give in and ditch menus all together.

I appreciate that video formatting is tricky, especially when dealing with different formats and resolution, but I would expect it to be a little easier than this.

Anyway, any last suggestions before I give up! 

• 6. Re: PE9 - Flickering DVD Menu
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, I use Adobe Encore for my authoring, but it is based on the same Sonic AuthorCore, as is in PrE.

When I use Motion Menus, I create a DV-AVI w/ no Audio (Video-only), at about 30 sec. in Duration. IIRC, PrE has a limit of ~ 30 sec. (where Encore does not, but that is about what I use). I always use about 02 sec. of Black Video, then a Dip-to-Black (at the Head, guess that would be a Dip-from-Black... ), and then a Dip-to-Black with 02 sec. of Black Video. The Video Motion Menu just repeats, if the user does not select during the 30 sec.. For the Audio, I use an SmartSound composition, that has repetition (so that it "seems" to match up, when going from the Main Menu to Scene Selection Menus), and that Fades In, and Fades Out. As I am doing DD 5.1 SS, I use DD AC3 Audio files, but were I not, I would use PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit.

I have never had an issue with any flickering. Remember, I am using a slightly different program, but let Encore do the Transcode on Automatic, and it's using the same Sonic AuthorCore.

Not sure if this will be of any help, but wanted to share my personal workflow in a similar program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE9 - Flickering DVD Menu
                      thisisJules75 Level 1

Hey Bill

Thanks for the info on your workflow.  I have in previously used Encore and never had any issues.  Unfortunately I'm stuck with PE at the moment.  That said, I've followed your workflow for the motion menus.  However, the problem still occurs.

On this particular project, DVD menus are a nice to have rather than a must have, so I might just ditch them I think.

• 8. Re: PE9 - Flickering DVD Menu
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I cannot come up with a cause for that flickering.

It almost has to be in the Transcoding of the Menus in PrE. In my older version, PrE 4.0, I could not get it, whether I used a pure Library Menu Set, or added my own Motion Asset to one, so it would seem that it is something in PrE 9, that has changed. However, as the authoring function in PrE is still based exclusively on the Sonic AuthorCore modules, so not sure what would have changed. OTOH, it does seem that PrE 9 has issues with some Menu Sets, where previous versions did not, so something is different. That Adobe has not issued a patch for PrE 9, to correct the other issues with some Menu Sets, indicates that the "fix" is not as easy, as I would have imagined.

Wish that I had more, than pure speculation, and guesses.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE9 - Flickering DVD Menu
                          thisisJules75 Level 1

I'm sure it will be "fixed" with PE10!  (Which I hope they make x64)

I've burnt my DVDs with out menus, but thanks all for the advice.