6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 4:17 PM by the_wine_snob

Generic Failure message

Onlyanovice

I'm using PE7 and Photoshop Elements 5. My PC uses XP Pro SP3. When I 'get media' (stills) from photoshop they appear in the PE7 organiser space. I am unable to move the stills onto the timeline. If I click on any of them a 'where is still image ...?' box opens. After clicking on the appropriate still identity a Generic failure message appears "This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed". This is a recent problem as I have used stills from photoshop in previous videos using PE7.

• 2. Re: Generic Failure message
          Onlyanovice Level 1

Hi thanks for the referral to Bill Hunt's info about large still images. Unfortunately this doesn't seem relevant to my problem. Even when I get one photo(either JPG or PSD etc)  into PE7 It won't open - I keep getting the same dailogue box "where is the file ...?" If I double click on the relevant file number the Generic Failure Message box comes up saying "This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed."

I'm at a loss to know how to solve the problem so any suggestions would be welcome.

• 3. Re: Generic Failure message
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Where are your photos located? Have you actually moved them to your computer or are they still in your camera?

Can you browse to your photos using Windows Explorer (or Finder)?

You can not drag photos directly from the Organizer's Photo Browser into Premiere Elements. You must right-click on the photo and select Edit in Premiere Elements. And this will only work if the Elements Organizer is the same version as Premiere Elements.

What happens if you use Premiere Elements Get Media/From Files and Folders to locate your photos?

• 4. Re: Generic Failure message
              Onlyanovice Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for your questions. In working through the answers I've found the solution to the problem. All my programmes are on my C drive (74GB with 44GB free)  and my work is on my external hard drive (500GB with 192GB free). The external drive used to be named as G drive but I recently changed it to E drive. I've put recent photos in to the newly named E drive but it seems that Premiere Elements 7 is happy to transfer them into the workspace but when I try to use them in the timeline it has them down as being in G drive (don't understand that but accept that's what it does!) and it opens the Where is file  ... box. I foolishly haven't been reading the question properly and never realised it was asking where the photos were in G/photographs. The answer is that they were actually in E/photographs. I've now renamed E drive back to G drive and everything seems to be working OK. It just goes to show computers ain't that dumb, it's the humans that cause the problems!

Thanks for your help. Without your detailed questions I wouldn't have spotted the error of my ways.

PS I'd prefer to revert the external drive to E if possible. Is there a way of doing this so that PE7 understands which drive is which? Or should I just leave well alone?

• 5. Re: Generic Failure message
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can name or rename the various drives on your system by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Map Network Drive.

Glad I could help!

• 6. Re: Generic Failure message
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If the external is not a networked drive, you can set it to a constant drive letter, in the OS. Then, regardless of when it is plugged-in, or turned on, and regardless of what else might be attached, it is ALWAYS the drive letter that you set. The exact steps can differ by OS version, but here are the steps for XP-Pro, from the Help files:

Using the Windows interface

1. Open Computer Management (Local).
                  2. In the console tree, click Disk Management.
                  3. Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click Change  Drive Letter and Paths.
                  4. Do one of the following: 
                    • To assign a drive letter, click Add, click the drive letter you want  to use, and then click OK.
                    • To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive  letter you want to use, and then click OK.
                    • To remove a drive letter, click it, and then click Remove.

Important

• Be careful when making drive-letter assignments because many  MS-DOS and Windows programs make references to a specific drive  letter. For example, the path environment variable shows specific drive letters in conjunction with program names.

Notes

• To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click  Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then  double-click Computer Management.
                  • You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the  Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is  connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from  completing this procedure.
                  • A computer can use up to 26 drive letters. Drive letters A and B are  reserved for floppy disk drives, but you can assign these letters to removable  drives if the computer does not have a floppy disk drive. Hard disk drives in  the computer receive letters C through Z, while mapped network drives are  assigned drive letters in reverse order (Z through B).
                  • You cannot change the drive letter of the system  volume or boot volume.
                  • An error message may appear when you attempt to assign a letter to a volume,  CD-ROM drive, or other removable media device, possibly because it is in use by  a program in the system. If this happens, close the program accessing the volume  or drive, and then click the Change Drive Letter and Paths command again.
                  • Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the static assignment of drive  letters on volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This means that you  permanently assign a drive letter to a specific partition, volume, or CD-ROM  drive. When you add a new hard disk to an existing computer system, it will not  affect statically assigned drive letters.
                  • You can also mount a local drive at an empty folder on an NTFS volume using  a drive path instead of a drive letter. For more information, click Related  Topics.

I use dozens of external HDD's, and each has the same, unique drive letter in the OS on all of my computers.
                  Good luck,
                  Hunt