6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 10:13 AM by the_wine_snob

Premier Elements 8 Audio Problem

amreinkr

I just got a new Dell laptop last week that came with the Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 and Premier Elements 8 bundle pre-installed.   I’ve never worked with Premier Elements before and thought I’d try my luck with it yesterday. I edited several movie clips that were taken with my Sony camera in MP4 format, joined the clips into one movie with transitions between them, and rendered the finished product in .mpg format.

The video plays fine in all programs, but the audio is a different story.  It is silent in Windows Media Player and Real Player, yet plays well in Windows Media Center and Windows Movie Maker.  It also plays on my Dell PC in Windows Media Player (the same program that silences it on my Dell laptop). 

I'm a senior citizen and have worked a little bit with Windows Movie Maker but that is all - nothing more intricate than that program.  I’d like to burn my new movie file to DVD but would first like to know what is causing the audio problem.  I'm hoping it's something simple and that this aged brain can understand the "fix".   Any suggestions?

Thank you for any help you can offer me.

Anne

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 8 Audio Problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Anne,

Welcome to the forum.

Just to make sure that I am following you, I will restate what I think you are experiencing, and then please correct me. Along the way will be a few questions too.

You have created a Project in PrElements, and have Imported Video (with Audio) into the PrE Project. The files from your Sony are in MP4 format.

In PrE you have your Audio, correct?

You have then Exported/Shared that Project to an AV file as an MPEG. Do you recall the settings chosen for that MPEG?

That Exported/Shared file plays with Audio in some players, but in others it only plays the Video, but not the Audio. Is that correct?

Knowing the settings used to create that MPEG file might explain why some player software does a good job, where other players have an issue.

This is an aside comment - I find that WMP, especially the later versions, is not a good choice for a player. It seems that MicroSooft has done as much as possible to strip it of most capabilities. Instead, I recommend two free players, VLC Player and MediaPlayer Classic HC. Both are excellent, and will play files, that some other players struggle with. Again, both are free. Because all players are not created equal, I just go with what works. If you were distributing these files to a client, that was locked into WMP, especially the newer versions, then addressing the issue would be worth the detective work. If that was the case, then I would explore Exporting/Sharing to WMV format, rather than the MPEG.

I have not used RealPlayer in about a decade. I found it to be nearly useless then, and rather ill-behaved. I will not let it near my computers, though it has possibly been improved over the years. If you have any RealMedia, MediaPlayer Classic HC, can be modified with a free plug-in, to allow that. If you do not have RealMedia files (usually designated by .RM), then I would not worry about taht. Only install what you need, when you need it. I would just ignore RealPlayer, since it is installed.

Good luck, and hope that this was helpful. Let us know a bit more about the MPEG settings, please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 8 Audio Problem
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

This ARTICLE has several recommended resources. I recommend Steve Grisetti's Basic Training Series, for anyone new to PrE. The other resources come highly recommended too.

Many NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs have strong general similarities, but each program does some things differently. Having used WMM is a good start, and all you need to do is translate what you learned there directly to PrE. The above resources will make that transition much easier.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 8 Audio Problem
              amreinkr Level 1

Hello Hunt, and thank you for helping me.

Yes, you have described the problem correctly.  In PrElements, all was 

well with video and audio - and still is OK in two of the  video players I have

on this new laptop.   However, there  is no audio in the other two programs

- but only on  this Dell laptop in Windows Media Player.  There IS audio in

Windows Media Player on my Dell PC.  That's what really confuses me.

Yes, the original file from the camera was mp4 and was exported as mpg 

(MPEG).  I don't remember the settings I used; I think the only thing I 

changed was a quality setting.  Is there a way of going back and looking at  the

original settings to jot down what they were? 

I think that the free version of Real Player has improved over the  years

and has a few more "goodies" now than it did in previous editions.   For one,

I was able to capture an internet video in its entirety last year, and 

very easily.  I wanted this video (a show trailer) for a slideshow I  was

creating and couldn't figure out how to get it with any other  application. 

That's the main reason I installed Real Player last  week on this new laptop  -

"just in case" I want to do this  again.

I will take your advice and look into the two free players...

And, in response to your second post, WMM has given me a good start but, 

unless I'm missing something, it does not have the capability of burning a 

DVD.  I will check out the resources link and the Training  Series that you

describe, and thank you so much for your help!

Cordially,

Anne

In a message dated 7/1/2011 11:23:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Anne,

Welcome to the forum.

Just to make  sure that I am following you, I will restate what I think you

are  experiencing, and then please correct me. Along the way will be a few 

questions too.

You have created a Project in PrElements, and have  Imported Video (with

Audio) into the PrE Project. The files from your Sony are  in MP4 format.

In PrE you have your Audio,  correct?

You have then Exported/Shared that Project to an AV file  as an MPEG. Do

you recall the settings chosen for that MPEG?

That  Exported/Shared file plays with Audio in some players, but in others

it only  plays the Video, but not the Audio. Is that correct?

Knowing the  settings used to create that MPEG file might explain why some

player software  does a good job, where other players have an issue.

This is an  aside comment - I find that WMP, especially the later versions,

is not a good  choice for a player. It seems that MicroSooft has done as

much as possible to  strip it of most capabilities. Instead, I recommend two

free players, 

http://gofree.com/download/Video/Media-Players/vlcmediaplayer.php?gclid=CLW6soS44KkCFQoBbA odO3L2Xg  and

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/. Both are excellent, and will play files,  that some other players struggle

with. Again, both are free. Because all  players are not created equal, I

just go with what works. If you were  distributing these files to a client,

that was locked into WMP, especially the  newer versions, then addressing the

issue would be worth the detective work.  If that was the case, then I

would explore Exporting/Sharing to WMV format,  rather than the MPEG.

I have not used RealPlayer in about a  decade. I found it to be nearly

useless then, and rather ill-behaved. I will  not let it near my computers,

though it has possibly been improved over the  years. If you have any RealMedia,

MediaPlayer Classic HC, can be modified with  a free plug-in, to allow

that. If you do not have RealMedia files (usually  designated by .RM), then I

would not worry about taht. Only install what you  need, when you need it. I

would just ignore RealPlayer, since it is  installed.

Good luck, and hope that this was helpful. Let us know  a bit more about

the MPEG settings,  please.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 8 Audio Problem
                amreinkr Level 1

Just a quick follow-up:

I downloaded and installed VLC Player and everything  works great! 

I'll stick with that as my default player - at least as  far as Premier

Elements is concerned.  Thanks again.

Anne

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 8 Audio Problem
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

However, there  is no audio in the other two programs

- but only on  this Dell laptop in Windows Media Player.  There IS audio in

Windows Media Player on my Dell PC.  That's what really confuses me.

This could be due to a setting, either on the Dell laptop, or perhaps in the players installed on it.

Here is a rather general Audio checklist ARTICLE. It focus on PrE, but there are a few tips on where to look in the OS, as well.

With each new OS version, it seems that MS adds more "freatures," but it also seems that they make it harder to set up the Sounds section of the OS too.

I would pour over the Control Panel>Sounds settings screens, and see if something is amiss there.

Though the Dell is new, its audio driver is probably ~ 6 mos out of date. I always recommend going to the audio chip mfgr's. Web site, say Realtek, and then checking their latest driver vs the one installed on the system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 8 Audio Problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that VLC player is working fine. That should indicate that the OS's Sounds settings are good. Still, I would check over those, just to be sure.

When you have the time, you can check the settings in WMP, but each version seems to hide those tools deeper and deeper in the program's interface.

Good luck,

Hunt