2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 7:11 PM by cflnest

FCP to PPro audio questions

cflnest Level 1

FCP XML (v4 or v5) single stereo tracks for all video & audio clips within sequences are importing as two mono tracks. Imported master clip metadata reflects the error (2 mono).

The sequences and clips are stereo but something is lost in translation. If the clips are re-imported, the audio metadata is correct (stereo).

Is there a way to prevent this by changing sequence/project settings? Will I have to replace all the clips?

Second question: is there a way to numerically adjust clip audio levels in the source monitor before they are added to a sequence? A minor concern, since it is possible to use the Volume Effects Controls on clips in the sequence (as a alternative to the rubber band).

Thanks,

Felicia

• 1. Re: FCP to PPro audio questions
          Colin Brougham Level 6

FCP XML (v4 or v5) single stereo tracks for all video & audio clips within sequences are importing as two mono tracks. Imported master clip metadata reflects the error (2 mono).

The sequences and clips are stereo but something is lost in translation. If the clips are re-imported, the audio metadata is correct (stereo).

Technically speaking, I think what's happening is correct (if I'm understanding you). The problem is that, in FCP, you only have mono audio tracks; you can pair two channels as a stereo pair, but the tracks themselves are still mono. What Premiere Pro is doing is translating those FCP mono tracks into PPro mono tracks--which can be a bit confusing since PPro has mono tracks, stereo tracks, and 5.1 tracks. Since you're saying that reimporting the clips, separately, results in them being handled as stereo, Premiere must be remapping/splitting the stereo track into two mono source tracks. Since you can't change mapping after a clip is used, I think reimporting and individually replacing the clips might be the only way to go--or just work with it the way it is. It should be functionally equivalent to how FCP works with the same footage.

Could also be a bug though; I know some changes were made to FCP XML import, and maybe this should have been one of them? I haven't tried an XML into CS5.5 yet...

Second question: is there a way to numerically adjust clip audio levels in the source monitor before they are added to a sequence? A minor concern, since it is possible to use the Volume Effects Controls on clips in the sequence (as a alternative to the rubber band).

Sort of; right-click your clip in the Source Monitor and select Audio Gain. You've got a number of different ways to numerically (but not visually) change the source level.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FCP to PPro audio questions
            cflnest Level 1

Thanks, I understand better why the FCP audio tracks end up as mono during XML import. Not certain if it is a serious problem or a bug. Good reason to try out the replace clip feature (and hope that the sequence remains intact).

In general, I like the tools and many options that are available for audio within Premiere (and now Audition).