4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 2:23 AM by JimVag1947

distributing to layers

JimVag1947 Level 1

In an image I have I use the marquee tool to select from it some symbols in it and place them each one of them in a separate layer.

I do this with the following way:

I select the symbol with the marquee tool(as already stated) and from there I select(from the context menu) new bitmap via cut/copy, with this way I can assign symbols to layer one at a time.

If i select many symbols(at once) than these will be passed again to one layer.

Is there a way selecting many symbols and passing them to different layers at once.

The document>distribute layers command does not achieve what i want.

I hope you understund what i am talking about.

• 1. Re: distributing to layers
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

If you select many areas of a bitmap at once with the marquee tool, Fireworks reads your action as having added the second, third, fourth selection to the original selection instead of having made multiple selections. Therefore it cannot distribute the selections to seperate layers. However, if you select symbols one at a time, copying and pasting them in place in your original layer, you can then Shift + Select them in the layers panel and choose Commands > Document > Distribute to Layers.

• 2. Re: distributing to layers
            JimVag1947 Level 1

There is something i miss here.

It seems that layers reside in folders-corresponding to the same folder icons that appear in the layers panel.

Ok i got that.

But i do not see any practical difference between having 1 layer with 2 objects and 2 layers with 1 object each of them.

If the main feature of layers is to stack objects on top of the other,from what i have understand so far, that can be accomplished with one layer too.

What is the reason for having 2 layers to achieve the stacking function.

I am confused. Can you help me with this please?

• 3. Re: distributing to layers
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

There is no technical reason for having two layers to achieve stacking function. IMHO, it's merely a matter of preferance. It's often a preferance of designers who are used to using bitmap based software like Photoshop rather than vector based software like Illustrator.

• 4. Re: distributing to layers
                JimVag1947 Level 1

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

Now it is clear to me.